• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Question - Damage/Resitance sequence

Zenon

First Post
Don't have my books with me and can't remember -

A creature has SR18, Fire Resistance 20 and is hit by a damaging spell (fire damage).

SR applies first, and if the caster doesn't beat it, no effect.

But if it is beaten, then do I sutract the Fire Resistance from damage first and then roll a save to half what comes through? Or do I roll then save first (halfing the damage if made) and then sutract the Fire Resistance from what's left?

Macbrea

First Post
You need to know if the person is even effected by a spell before worrying about what effects to apply to the person.

So, the order should look like

1. Spell resistance
  2. Savings throw
  3. Fire resistance
    [/list=1]

Zenon

First Post
I knew the SR part ;)

So if a fireball did 36 points, I would save first (assume I make it) and so the Fire Resistance would stop the remaining 18 points (leaving 2 more points of fire damage that could be stopped that round)?

kreynolds

First Post
Zenon said:
So if a fireball did 36 points, I would save first (assume I make it) and so the Fire Resistance would stop the remaining 18 points (leaving 2 more points of fire damage that could be stopped that round)?

Yup.

Remove ads