• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick ? re: Raise Dead

Wolffenjugend

First Post
I don't have my PH with me. When a character is restored with a Raise Dead spell, how much xp does he have? Was it 1 point above minimum or midway between levels?

robberbaron

First Post
I've looked at the SRD and it doesn't actually say.

It says you lose 1 level (or 2 CON if 1st level), but doesn't go into any more detail.

I know it has been the subject of a lenghty thread already, but can't remember if any concensus was reached.

We generally use the beginning of the level below, though this is penalising someone very close to going up before death.
I think I'd make them lose EXACTLY 1 level, so if you died when 1 XP away from 5th level you come back 1 XP away from 4th.

I guess it's one of those things you just have to decide for yourself.

mikebr99

Explorer
Also from the SRD:

Bringing Back the Dead:​
Several spells have the power to restore slain characters to life. When a living creature dies, its soul departs its body, leaves the Material Plane, travels through the Astral Plane, and goes to abide on the plane where the creature’s deity resides. If the creature did not worship a deity, its soul departs to the plane corresponding to its alignment. Bringing someone back from the dead means retrieving his or her soul and returning it to his or her body.

Level Loss:​
Any creature brought back to life usually loses one level of experience. The character’s new XP total is midway between the minimum needed for his or her new (reduced) level and the minimum needed for the next one. If the character was 1st level at the time of death, he or she loses 2 points of Constitution instead of losing a level. This level loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any mortal means, even wish or miracle. A revived character can regain a lost level by earning XP through further adventuring. A revived character who was 1st level at the time of death can regain lost points of Constitution by improving his or her Constitution score when he or she attains a level that allows an ability score increase.
Mike

Remove ads