Quintessence - What is it good for?

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Aside from the whole "keeping my lunch fresh" aspects of the power, I haven't really been able to come up with a good use for this particular psionic ability. Not anything that would argue for me taking this power instead of some other 4th level power. Has anyone found a really good use for quintessence? Particularly something that might come up every day?

dead

Explorer
Dunno if there's any practical adventuring application, but in the 2E Masters of Eternal Night trilogy by Bruce Cordell, the illithids used a humongous dollop of the stuff to encase a small asteroid-craft hurtling through outer space.

Thousands of years later, the adventurers find the crash site, penetrate the quintessence, and discover many still living illithids frozen in time within the craft.

Storyteller01

First Post
The Swords & Sorcery adventure 'If Thoughts could kill" is based on this power (although it's not an everyday occurance). The entire dungeon was filled with creatures held in quintessence, programmed to be released at specific times.

Can you ready an action and throw a large enough amount at something? Freeze a wizards hand (or hit him in the face), or stop a trap from working? Can a candle frozen in time still emit light (Probably not, but a cool D&D effect none the less...)?

Make for a nice injectable poison (let's see how your blood flows when part of it is frozen it time...). Might not be able to coat weapons with it, but needles work just as well, and the femorial arteries make nice targets for assassins (or the mind flayer who has his next meal strapped down and squirming on the table. 'Tasting the fear of slow death' sort of deal) :]

Yea, I know...twisted...

Last edited:

Keeping a dead teammate's body from becoming unraisable.
Keeping a throughly poisoned teammate from dying.
Keeping various time-based effects from happening (Vargouille's kiss) until help can be obtained.
Sleeping for several thousand years
...or storing various sorts of friends/enemies against better times...

Shard O'Glase

First Post
No its a waste of space unless your hong and really value a fresh lunch. All the oh you can preserve a body like if thoughts could kill or what not are bogus. You make a droplet of the stuff for every 7pp, you probably couldn't coat your sandwhich with the stuff. To coat a person you have to shoot your entire load of PP so what after a bunch of rounds of forming gunk and feeling up a comrade he's frozen in time, whooo-hoo. :confused:

This wouldn't be a good 1st level power at 4th its a waste of ink and paper.

Kirin'Tor

First Post
Ok...this is silly and immature, but I haven't slept since last night yet and you said:

" shoot your entire load of PP "

and I find to be funnier than a dire fiendish weasel!

I'll come back and read\comment on the power later, and aplogize for this post...until then, carry on!

Scion

First Post
on your off days (some people actually have these ;) ) just fill up a portable hole with the stuff. Sure, it'll take forever, but think of what you can do in times of need!

and then think how much of your characters life you have wasted to get to that point.

try not to cry.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I'd say get together with a druid and use it to trap the hugely overpowered Grig that he can summon with Summon Nature's Ally IX. Maybe you can stop it from disappearing at the end of the spell effect, and have a "in case of emergency, break quintessence" grig on command?

Synergy, man, synergy! :)

Scion

First Post
hmm.. dipping creatures to save on duration..

So, get your fighter type buddy and your object full of time. Get a rope on him, have you and your buddies load him to the gill with buffs, drop him in to the object full of time.

Now, whenever you need the fighter type buddy pull him out, have him beat everything up and then hop back in. Boom, super fighter guy with buffs on all day ;)

Plus, if it is large enough, a handy storage space for the dead/dieing.

Remove ads