Quintessence - What is it good for?

Corlon

First Post
plot device would definitely come to mind...how about traps?

Take the normal pit trap, put a bunch of this stuff in the bottom, and pow, you fail your reflex save and you're trapped...

it deals one damage a round, torture perhaps? :]

or with the pit trap idea, maybe put it up to shoulder level, so when they fall in, they get dealt the damage but their arms are trapped and therefore htye cannot escape the damage?

Oh, and for the nuclear bomb idea, look at relics and rituals (I or II I forget which one), the fire ward (fireball but takes 10 minutes to cast and triggers when something happens), put it in a tackle box, say "when the door opens, go off." Open the tackle box, all of em go off, lots of damage, it's really fun :D .

arm an army of kobolds with it, and have them tangle foot bag you to the floor with time :p

fresh lunches are alwasy nice, but soemthing about encasing them in goo seems kind of weird.

Make walls out of it?

Perhaps create rules for more of it hindering psionics even more (A HUGE amount could be a nice plot device).

Preserving your dungeon of death from rust?

oooo, did anyone ever watch Double Dragons the cartoon?
I'm vaguely remembering from my 4 year old days that the evil guy had this wall that would basically suck in and forever preserve the henchmen that had failed him in gray goo. Make a big pit of it, store all your enemies.

Transporting fruit...

In a land with no refrigerators, you NEED THIS.

I dunno, kind of useless, but in a pinch it could be cool...

Imret

First Post
I think Corlon might have the answer in transporting fruit...all you need is a ship, a friendly merchant, and some downtime...make a killing importing fresh-picked exotic fruit from distant isles...

Or team up with the summoner and a glassblower (assuming your setting permits relatively advanced glassworks) and make some mephit bombs...

...even better if they're used as catapult ammo...

I just like mephits.

I got nothin'.

xenoflare

First Post
Dimensional Fortress - Army of Me

high level Elan shaper madness -

everytime you take a hiatus. create vast quantities of quintessence, and store them somewhere safe. adventure as usual with your party, get your funds, set some aside and make some money on the sidelines (with Divination and Correspondence, you can have near-perfect market knowledge, as well as good coordination of international commerce, and use the Fabricate trick scattered around the world with the aid of Personal Mind Blank to make small amounts of money here and there.)

set everything up in some good ol' slush funds.

get a good cohort, be buddy-buddy with your fighter, or just find a nice monster.

Manifest Impresa on these dudes, then store the Impresa in Quintessence(from Mindscapes and Hyperconscious, basically makes a 24 hr duration simulacra that's 1/5 as powerful as the original). Make Astral Constructs and store them in Quintessence too.

Repeat over and over again. Shift to the Astral to get quicken power for free to make this a faster process - we're talking industrial increments of 100 percent efficiency here.

Make yourself an army of pure ectoplasm, secreted in your fortresses built from your funds that you've been shrewdly investing in. Equipment, armament, coordination - you've got it all made.

When the time comes, unleash your forces from their null-time bubbles. Go Go Urza Rangers...

weakness? anti-ectoplasmic powers and weapons will have a field day with your crew - but look at it this way. conventional weaponry and army tactics use Level 1 warriors as baseline combatants.

you've got Astral Constructs, perfectly versatile, capable of recon, flight, naval battle, nuking - and Impresas - which can be copies of skilled sages, rogues, operatives. Between that, you've got the advantage of them being immune to poison, disease, no need for food or rest..

they only last a while, though, so either make tons of these warriors for different waves (more Quintessence..) or use it for one fell strike. Industrial standards, industrial standards! Get Henry Ford on the ectoplasm!

i'm planning to do this for a battle against the Dark Plea soon. The warriors with no mind, with no soul, with no heart, crafted from dream and will, to fight the forces of the Dark.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Here's an interesting question: if it were really easy to make (1st or 2nd lvl power), what would people do with it? How would bad guys use it?

The correct answer to this is "nothing".

I was just working on my later levels for my 1st level psion last night and Quintessence would not even come close to making the list, even if it were a first level power (and I have a LOT of first level powers on my list, even taking them as high up as eighth level).

If they would have kept the zeroth level powers in psionics, then it might make a decent zeroth level novelty power.

Tendertail

First Post
Not sure if anyone has said this but, consider. This removes objects from time, so if you have a class feature that creates objects that expire after a set amount of time, and this is normally the system by which these consumed items are balanced on a case use basis. This stuff becomes amazing for allowing you to stockpile items that would otherwise lose all power after a set time.

This can be argued to include:

All alchemical items created within Spheres of Might that expire after 24 Hours if unused.

The Elixirs of the Alchemist class, the vessels in which they store their magical spells. Literally letting them create endless spells for the price of this essence.

Those are the big ones that stand out to me personally.

Perhaps there are more?

Remove ads