• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quintessential Sorcerer: Feedback Wanted

Iron_Chef

First Post
I just got a copy of Mongoose's "The Quintessential Sorcerer" and alot of it really looks good, like swapping out levels for templates, spell slots for special abilities, etc. I'm looking for other gamer's experiences using "The Quintessential Sorcerer" (good or bad). Is this book the "fix" the sorcerer class so many of us thought was needed to differentiate them from wizards?

Crothian

First Post
I like the book. Patrick Younts is one of the few authors out there that I'll buy based on his name being on it. None of it has been used as we don't have any sorcerers in the group currently, but when we do it'll get some use.

Psion

Adventurer
I am using it (and posted a thread about this recently). I just ran an NPC with the fiend legacy template, a PC just took the dragon touched template, and in the lower level game, a PC was gunning for Arcane Blade. I think its a great resource with lots of flavorful elements.

In actually playing with it, I have caught a few things that might need some tweaking:
  • Arcane Blade PrC - You will note that the class has an improved maximize ability, which is nearly useless in 3.5 since buffs aren't random anymore. This is of little consequence to me since for most spells I decided to stick with the 3.0 version (I tweaked buffs a little but they are still random in my game.) But you may want to alter the ability a bit to make it meaningful in 3.5.
  • The celestial and demon/devil legacy templates:
    - Immunity to four forms of energy is too much. I reduce this to 1 + sorcerer level energy resistance (like the dragon touched template uses.) They retain immunity to non-energy attack forms
    - Also, I see no need to increase the DC modifier provided by spell smite by 50%; IME sorcerers usually max out their charisma anyway, and that is enough of a benefit.
  • Dragon legacy template - small hint, the missing table is on the page before. :)

Just for the record let me say I love the templates, love the blood abilities, and love the material on truenames, but this comes somewhat from the notion that the sorcerer is a bit weak compared to the wizard, and I recognize that the blood abilities give the sorcerer a bit of a boost, and the flavor is excellent.

Last edited:

johncolossus

First Post
I loved it! Very flavourful and have a gnome sorceror 7 in my game who has used some of the bloodline abilities. Great flavour character! I thought it was one of the better Quint books.

What i want to know is why the bloodline abilities stopped at 4th level? Was it space and are mongoose planning an expansion, so they can be expanded upto 9th level? Has anyone else expanded these abilities and willing to share? Or if Patrick Younts reads this, can he comment on what will be happening if anything?
Thanks

johncolossus said:
I loved it! Very flavourful and have a gnome sorceror 7 in my game who has used some of the bloodline abilities. Great flavour character! I thought it was one of the better Quint books.

What i want to know is why the bloodline abilities stopped at 4th level? Was it space and are mongoose planning an expansion, so they can be expanded upto 9th level? Has anyone else expanded these abilities and willing to share? Or if Patrick Younts reads this, can he comment on what will be happening if anything?
Thanks

The bloodline abilities stopped at 4th level because of space considerations. Going much further would have required the removing of another chapter, and that wasn't really possible.

As to taking it further, it would definitely be possible, but I'm not sure it's going to happen. Right now, Mongoosee has filled my plate with other stuff, and I'm working my own game as well, so time is non-existant.

It would be a possibility as a web enhancement, or someone might want to pitch it as an article to Mongoose's magazine, Signs & Portents.

Or, maybe, I might include it in the [censored for NDA] book I imagine will be coming down the pipe in the future. That would be a good place for it.

Patrick Y.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads