Quth-Maren Horrifying Gaze

sirshandlar2

First Post
Hi folks,

This question has been driving me crazy. I'm running the City of the Spider Queen, which contains many Quth-Maren. The Horrifying Gaze ability it possesses is described as:

Horrifying Gaze (Su): Any living creature within 30 feet of the quth-maren that meets its deathless gaze must succeed at a DC 17 Will save or cower in fear. Cowering creatures lose their Dexterity bonus to Armor Class and can take no actions. While cowering, a creature takes a -2 penalty to AC and loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to AC.​

So... what is the duration? It also appears in the Fiend Folio I've heard. Can anyone tell me if the duration is clarified there?

Regards,
Ryan

Seravin

Explorer
Well, I don't have the module with me at the moment, but I could suggest the following options:
1. It works until the Quth-Maren dies.
2. Make it work based on its HD; either 1 round or 1 minute per HD.
3. Treat it like a kind of Turning and set it to 10 rounds.

frankthedm

First Post
What CR are they? highish CR beasts often have permanet effects, so the unlisted duration might neo be an oversight.

I'd say Permanent until remove fear, remove curse, break enchantment or Heal is cast on the victim.

Pinotage

Explorer
Man I hated these things as a player in City of the Spider Queen. Our DM ran 5 of these at us on one occasion, and playing a fighter made for some really nasty and brutal fighting. In any event, if you look at the description of Gaze attacks in the SRD or DMG, it says that the character gets to save each round at the beginning of his turn. Hence, the gaze lasts one round at a time, granting a new saving throw each round. Very annoying for those with low Will saves, particularly if you have to make 5 saves each round against DC 17. :)

Pinotage

Remove ads