• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

R&C Art, the Women of R&C

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ubbergeek said:
Fantasy needs to grow up and open to the ... non-nerd.
Ooh, I was right there with you until that last bit.

If the non-nerds get into fantasy, aren't they just going to beat us up and take our PHB's?

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Fifth Element said:

If the non-nerds get into fantasy, aren't they just going to beat us up and take our PHB's?

Then we will move to another hobby. Never yeld, mon frère.

;)

Dausuul

Legend
Lord Tirian said:
The women in the book are definitively on the good-looking side, I daresay "hawt" - but not "in-your-face", a la Chainmail bikini.

They're good looking, just as the men, because they are looking like protagonists, because they're adventurers - but no obvious cheesecake. Or because artists don't like drawing ugly things, just as with most art (unless it's supposed to be ugly for a reason) - and because they're all looking good as in "identification figures", not "I'd-date-it".

That said, looking at pretty much all of the dwarf women in Races and Classes...

I'd date it. :)

mara

First Post
Fifth Element said:

Not if they're as sticky as every thread involving fan-service would imply.

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
The ease with which "a significant percentage of men and a given percentage of women have been known to enjoying seeing this" becomes, in the minds of some "men masturbate to this compulsively" always fills me with joy.

No, wait, what's that other thing?

Right. Loathing. That was it.

mara

First Post
Simia Saturnalia said:
The ease with which "a significant percentage of men and a given percentage of women have been known to enjoying seeing this" becomes, in the minds of some "men masturbate to this compulsively" always fills me with joy.

No, wait, what's that other thing?

Right. Loathing. That was it.

Pfft. You've got all of pop culture aimed at titillating you. Moaning about women being portrayed as people to play instead of sex objects for thirteen-year-old straight boys as if it's a horrible loss makes it seem like gaming books are the only access they've got to images of sexy women. That's hilarious. I don't know any guy who has actually masturbated to a gaming suppliment, but the guys I game with also like to mock Avalanche covers for their utter silliness. Heck, a lot of guys on this message board aren't hung up on fan service, which makes the "Oh noes! Where me gets my boobies!" stuff even funnier looking.

Last edited:

Lackhand

First Post
mara said:
Pfft. You've got all of pop culture aimed at titillating you. Moaning about women being portrayed as people to play instead of sex objects for thirteen-year-old straight boys as if it's a horrible loss makes it seem like gaming books are the only access they've got to images of sexy women. That's hilarious. I don't know any guy who has actually masturbated to a gaming suppliment, but the guys I game with also like to mock Avalanche covers for their utter silliness. Heck, a lot of guys on this message board aren't hung up on fan service, which makes the "Oh noes! Where me gets my boobies!" stuff even funnier looking.

We're a pretty self-reflective bunch IME (it comes from the self-loathing obsessing over pretend elves gives us!), so I've been reading the "Oh noes! Where me gets my boobies!?" stuff as intended self-satyrically, because the alternative is too horrible to conceive of. It just can't be borne.

(does that violate the Grandma rule? I mean, I wouldn't pun in front of my grandma...)

ThatGuyThere

Explorer
I always find this topic amusing, because in my regular playgroup, there are two women, and four men.

It's the women who look up semiclad pictures of people (generally famous people) on teh interwebs to portray their characters.

And my wife, for the longest time, refused to dress her female characters in medium or heavy armor because it "wasn't sexy" enough.

"Fantasy" can mean different things to different people; check the front cover of a Harlequin romance novel sometime (distinctly marketed toward women - distinctly "beefcake" art, for both male and female portrayals).

That said, I'm in favour of reasonably-build people wearing enough clothes / armor so as not to get stabbed and / or freeze to death. The excuse for nearly-clothesless characters went out of print with Dark Sun. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads