• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Race-Class-Matchup

Thanee

First Post
Dwarves make pretty good Melee Rangers.

Could you elaborate a bit? I don't quite see what makes them especially good as Rangers?

The current chart makes a good evaluation tough due to the fact that every class has at least 2 paths it can take, and those paths use differnt stats for the most part.

Yep, I might actually diversify it a bit further and include the "subclasses" instead of the classes (makes it a lot wider, though ;)).

Bye
Thanee

Arakim

First Post
They don't get a Con bonus or an Int bonus. If having a once/encounter melee attack is that important to you, multi into wizard. Or be a half-elf, or both. Your Int shouldn't be far behind your Con as a infernal 'lock anyway.

True no Con or Int stat bonus. Just an encounter AE power based on Con, and a special for healing surges that uses Con.

There are Bonuses, and then there are Bonuses. A high Con Dragonborn Infernal Warlock is going to be rough to bring down. It's even tough sounding when you say it. "I'm a high-Con Dragonborn Infernal Warlock. These are my friends, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."

A little help in the Cha department doesn't hurt in case you want to branch into some Fey or Star powers that use CHA. Or just to look cool.

Danceofmasks

First Post
I happen to think the best class on a Tiefling is Wizard (to the point of edging out Human as my favourite Wizard race).
The charisma bonus on top of a 10 = spell focus at 11th, so it's not a wasted stat bonus ...
The +1 to hit from Hellfire Blood is awesome, whilst the +1 to hit from Bloodhunt is likewise invaluable.
They can afford to start with 20 int if so inclined, and drop a 14 in con or wis for implement mastery.

IMO it's one of the most consistent builds around, on a par with Elf Ranger.

Humans may be awesome at everything, but I'm loving my Fighter.
The 3rd at will is not wasted on a defender - Cleave and Reaping Strike are invaluable, whilst Tide of Iron has numerous tactical applications .. it's even more amusing with Heavy Blade Opportunity.
Fighters actually run out of feats .. the Human bonus is just .. sweet.

Just my 2 cents.

Arakim

First Post
Could you elaborate a bit? I don't quite see what makes them especially good as Rangers?

Yep, I might actually diversify it a bit further and include the "subclasses" instead of the classes (makes it a lot wider, though ;)).

Bye
Thanee

Sure.

Ignore Dex, go for ST and Con. Take the feats that provide heavy armor.

Use Hammers and Axes, and take the feat that gives damage bonuses to Dwarves for using Axe and Hammer (at work, can't check right now).

My vision is a Plate Wearing Dwarven Berserker wielding 2 war hammers. Never has to slow down for second wind, just a whirlwind of damage.

And when he needs range... throwing hammers.

Don't judge him until you can see him running towards your character.

Stat Bonuses are a big deal, the game is balanced around a Primary strike Stat of 18, especially for casters. At the same time the other bonuses a race get can improve a class in less obvious ways.

The Only reason I don't rate Humans as Good at all classes is right now many classes can only really benefit from 2 at-will powers, the other 2 usually being for the alternate path, and using a different Strike Stat. Humans are good for Fighters, Warlocks, and Wizards.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Yeah, but the extra at-will is the weakest of Human traits .. the nature of at-wills being it costs your standard action - and you never run out.
So having a third option is largely meaningless .. Rangers are an extreme example .. regardless of what other power you have, how often are you going to not Twin Strike?

Thanee

First Post
I have changed many of the table fields to reflect what you guys said. :)

I think humans also make good Rogues (extra At-Will is decent enough for them and the extra Feat/Skill is definitely highly useful).

Kinda on the fence for Warlords. Will have to take a closer look at them.

Bye
Thanee

Arakim

First Post
Yeah, but the extra at-will is the weakest of Human traits .. the nature of at-wills being it costs your standard action - and you never run out.
So having a third option is largely meaningless .. Rangers are an extreme example .. regardless of what other power you have, how often are you going to not Twin Strike?

True. Good for Fighters though, and good for Wizards, as the extra At-Will usually has a different intent (Thunderwave vs Burst of Fire for example).

Thanee

First Post
So, I have now updated the table to reflect all the various pathes as described in the PHB.

Let me know what you think (and where you think I made bad judgement calls)! :D

Bye
Thanee

Noinarap

First Post

Dwarves can ignore Dex and start with 16 in Str, Con, and Wis. They can get Chainmail at level 1 and continue adding heavy armors as they go, since they easily qualify for plate. MCing over to fighter isn't bad- they can pump Str+Con and go for Iron Vanguard or Str+Wis and be really nasty as Pit Fighters. Kensei isn't bad either. Or they can stay at home with Pathfinder. Combined with Toughness, Durable, Dwarven Durability and a really high Con, the Pathfinder Paragon Path (heh) gives the ranger an insane number of very big healing surges. Oh, and Dwarven Weapon Training with twin axes or hammers really isn't bad in heroic tier.

Remove ads