• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Races & Classes spotted?

Kintara

First Post
Tquirky said:
Yes...and WOTC have a choice - they could add to the pile of stuff in the core which is questionable whether it should be there, or put it in a supplement.
Come over to the happy side where the cool people love the new dragon people and are excited to populate their Points of Light with them as they play their Eladrin Warlords and Dragonborn Warlocks! We also love words with "war" in them. Warband! Awesome! Warlike! Yes, please! Warriors? Yaay! World of Warcraft? Oooooh, yeah!

Sammael

Adventurer
It bears mentioning that neither of the two tiefling minis from Desert of Desolation looks anything like the tiefling illustrations we were shown thus far. Both are red skinned humans with white hair, small white horns, and long devilish tails.

Tquirky

First Post
Come over to the happy side where the cool people love the new dragon people and are excited to populate their Points of Light with them as they play their Eladrin Warlords and Dragonborn Warlocks! We also love words with "war" in them. Warband! Awesome! Warlike! Yes, please! Warriors? Yaay! World of Warcraft? Oooooh, yeah!
Well...I do like warlocks. And Points of Light.

Over there on the happy side...do you have balloons? And puppies?

redmagerush

First Post
Tquirky said:
No, there isn't that. Most people can't agree on the difference between a flail, ball & chain, mace and morningstar (and yes, I know what the D&D definitions are), but that's neither here nor there with regard to the appropriateness of a spiked chain versus a long sword.

::shrug::

If you say so.

Personally I hate that DnD forces you to have multiple sentient races in your setting. The generic baseline should be human only.

Kintara

First Post
Tquirky said:
Well...I do like warlocks. And Points of Light.

Over there on the happy side...do you have balloons? And puppies?
Yes, but the balloon-puppies are reserved for the Eladrin Warlords to ride into battle!

Dire Bare

Legend
Tquirky said:
No, the fact that every D&D world will now have to cater for dragon halfbreeds as a default part of society because WOTC has seen fit to put them in the PHB is what matters. Your worldbuilding is being dictated to you.

It's frustrating. I think the designer's handle on rules is much better than their handle on aesthetics and "flavour", but it seems that MMORPGs have changed the goal posts around as far as they're concerned, so the gimmicks are coming out.
You're argument doesn't float. I don't have to include dragonborn in my 4e campaign. Doesn't matter if they are in the PHB, I just don't if I don't want them. Will I have players ask to play them? Yes. But I can still say no.

Just as I never used gnomes in my 3.0/3.5 games (then again, nobody ever asked to play a gnome in my games anyway). If I decided to move away from a tolkieny setting and rule out elves and dwarves, easy peasy, I did it.

My only worry is when the dragonborn and tieflings are added to D&D Online: Stormreach (or its successor). Then you will see dragony and demony dudes running all over the place!

But my tabletop campaign is under my control. No problems.

Remove ads