Races: gallery and creation

Arkhandus

First Post
Urgogs, the regenerating scavengers (By Arkhandus)

[sblock]

Overview
[sblock]
I'll put something here soon....
Personality: Likewise....
Physical Description: An urgog stands between 3-1/2 and 4 feet tall on average, being a stocky humanoid of 50 to 90 pounds in weight. They have thick, ashen gray skin, rough and almost a bit scaly in feel, but urgogs never sweat. Instead, they seem to give off a bit of light steam at times, from numerous pores across their skin. Urgogs have a highly-active metabolism that generates significant body heat. They are most comfortable living in regions with mildly cold weather year-round. An urgog has thick strands of porous hair on their scalp, shoulders, and back, while the rest of their body is hairless. What hair they do have is some shade of blue or violet. Urgogs have slanted eyes of dark blue, red, purple, or green. Urgog faces have a pronounced chin and cheekbones, with a small nose and long ears. Their head is wide but not very long, and a bit wedge-shaped. Small tusks protrude from the edges of the mouth, from both the upper and lower jaw, and urgogs have broad, expressive mouths.
Relations: Likewise....
Alignment: Likewise....
Example Lands: Likewise....
Religion: Likewise....
Language: Likewise....
Names: Likewise....
[/sblock]
Urgog Racial Traits
[sblock]
  • Ability Scores: Urgogs gain +2 Constitution, but also suffer -2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, and -2 Intelligence. They are short and stout, but rather awkward in motion, and not especially muscular for their size. Urgogs also tend towards simple thoughts and obsessing over food, drink, and merriment, with little concern for crafts and lore that is not related to survival or revelry.
  • Small: Being Small in size, urgogs enjoy a +1 size bonus to Armor Class and attack rolls, as well as a +4 size bonus on Hide skill checks. However, they suffer a size penalty on certain other rolls, such as a -4 size penalty on grapple checks, and urgogs must use smaller weapons, armor, and other equipment compared to humans. The base damage of an urgog's unarmed strike is 1d2 nonlethal (subdual), not 1d3 like a human's, and the urgog applies his or her Strength modifier to the damage as normal.
  • Type: Urgogs are Humanoids of the Urgog subtype.
  • Base Speed: 20 feet.
  • Darkvision: Urgogs have the benefit of darkvision, allowing them to see even in total darkness out to a distance of 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but otherwise like normal sight. Urgogs are well-adapted to living in deep caves, but often visit the surface to scrounge around. Darkvision is an extraordinary ability.
  • Stable Hauler: Urgogs are used to carrying large bundles of supplies from the surface to their underground communities, and they have a broad, stable body. The urgog enjoys a +4 stability bonus on opposed Strength or Dexterity checks to resist a bull rush or trip attempt. He or she also does not suffer a reduction in base speed for carrying a medium or heavy load, nor for wearing medium or heavy armor.
  • +2 racial bonus on Profession (Cook) and Survival skill checks: An urgog loves to eat, and cooking well is a matter of great importance to urgogs. After all, they spend hours each day feasting. Urgogs also learn the importance of hunting, foraging, and scavenging to survive, even on extended trips through wilderness.
  • -2 racial penalty on all Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Sense Motive skill checks: Urgogs have poor manners and some difficulty in understanding the way other creatures think. They have a natural tendency towards living alone or in small groups, ignoring other creatures except as potential rivals for food and water.
  • Morphic Immunity: The urgogs have a peculiar nature that renders them immune to polymorphing, shapechanging, petrification, and size-alteration of all kinds. This does not prevent growing or shrinking naturally with age, of course, nor does it prevent illusions. Morphic immunity is an extraordinary ability.
  • Regeneration: A urgog possesses the quality of regeneration 1. He or she heals 1 point of nonlethal (subdual in 3.0 rules) damage per round as a result. Most attacks deal only nonlethal (subdual) damage to an urgog. Acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic effects deal normal damage to urgogs. An urgog rendered unconscious may only be killed with a coup de grace if the attack deals normal damage to the urgog, not if the attack would be converted to subdual damage. Attacks that do not deal hit point damage (such as disintegrate, or most poisons and diseases) ignore regeneration. Regeneration does not heal lost hit points or nonlethal (subdual) damage when caused by starvartion, thirst, or suffocation. An urgog's regeneration allows him or her to regrow lost body parts, regrowing one lost limb or body part every 3d4x10 days. He or she cannot reattach limbs through this ability, however. Regeneration is an extraordinary ability.
  • High Metabolism: Urgogs burn through nutrients quickly, fueling their rapid metabolism and regenerative tissues. As a result, urgogs require eight times the normal amount of food and water for creatures of their size. Being Small, this means an urgog must consume twice the amount of food and water that a human would, to avoid dehydration and starvation. Furthermore, an urgog suffers the secondary effects of poison twice as quickly as normal (so for instance, a poison that deals secondary damage 1 minute after poisoning would instead cause that damage half a minute after poisoning). Likewise, after a disease's incubation period in an urgog, the urgog suffers each increments of its effects twice as quickly as normal (for example, diseases that cause another increment of ability damage each day would instead cause that damage every half-day). Lastly, an urgog's natural regeneration does not function while he or she is starving or dehydrated.
  • Automatic Languages: Common and Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Giant, Gnome, Goblin, or Terran. Urgogs come into conflict at times with other subterrannean and cave-dwelling creatures, but manage to trade and ally with dwarves or gnomes on occasion.
  • Favored Class: The favored class of urgogs is ranger.
[/sblock]
Racial Paragon Class
[sblock]
Urgog Paragon
Alignment: Any.
Hit Dice: D8.

Class Skills: The urgog paragon's class skills, and the key ability for each, are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier. Multiply this amount by 4 at 1st-level in the class if it is also the urgog's 1st character level.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Urgog paragons are proficient in simple weapons, light armor, and shields, but not tower shields.

Bonus Feat: An urgog paragon receives a bonus feat of his or her choice at 1st-level in this class. It must be a feat which character meets the prerequisites for, if any.

Boldness: Urgog paragons develop more boldness than other urgogs, receiving a +1 racial bonus on all Will saving throws.

Scrounge: The urgog paragon learns to explore, investigate, scrounge, forage, dig, and scavenge much better by 2nd-level in this class. He or she improves their racial bonus on Survival checks to +4, and henceforth receives a +2 racial bonus on all Appraise, Profession (Miner), and Search checks.

Ability Boost: At 3rd-level, an urgog paragon's Constitution score increases by 2 points.

Class...Base......Fort....Ref.....Will.....Special
Level...Attack...Save...Save...Save...Class Features
1.........+0........+2......+0......+0......Bonus Feat, Boldness
2.........+1........+3......+0......+0......Scrounge
3.........+2........+3......+1......+1......Ability Boost (+2 Constitution)
[/sblock]
Racial Feats
[sblock]
Urgog Axe-Master
Trained by other urgog axe-masters who have preserved the art, you are now a fellow master of the urgog axe-wielding warrior tradition.
Prerequisites: Urgog race, Str 13+, BAB +9 or higher, Improved Critical (any axe, except the orc double axe), Weapon Focus (any axe, except the orc double axe), Weapon Specialization (any axe, except the orc double axe).
Benefit: You never require a threat confirmation roll for any critical hits with axes. All critical threats you make with axes are automatically confirmed as critical hits. Furthermore, your attack penalty for fighting with two weapons, but not a double weapon, is reduced by 1 point if the two weapons you wield are axes.

Urgog Hatchetman
An urgog axe-master has trained you, in the tradition of urgog hatchet-wielders.
Prerequisites: Urgog race, Str 13+, Weapon Focus (handaxe).
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage with hand axes, but only when you wield a pair of hand axes in melee for two-weapon fighting. Multiply the bonus damage normally if you score a critical hit. Furthermore, you suffer only a -1 penalty on attack rolls when you use the fighting defensively option, if wielding two hand axes. You also gain a +1 bonus on Profession (lumberjack) skill checks.

Urgog Raider
Training in the tactics of an urgog raider, you have improved in fighting opponents that are in a disadvantageous position. You have also practiced in sprinting, to better close in on foes and escape with loot.
Prerequisites: Urgog race, base Reflex save +2 or higher, Str 13+, Dex 13+, Weapon Focus.
Benefit: Whenever you flank an opponent, or the opponent is denied a Dexterity bonus to AC against your attack, you gain an extra +1 bonus on weapon attack rolls against that foe. This bonus only applies for weapons you have Weapon Focus in, however. Furthermore, you add +5 feet to your effective base speed, but only for purposes of running and charging.

Urgog Skulk
You are especially sneaky for an urgog, and a bit cowardly too. But you know how to strike down a target who doesn't know you're there.
Prerequisites: Urgog race, Dex 13+, Wis 13+.
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on all Bluff, Hide, and Move Silently checks. In addition, you deal +2 damage whenever you successfully hit a flat-footed opponent with a weapon. This bonus damage only applies if the opponent is susceptible to critical hits, and it is multiplied normally if you score a critical hit.

Urgog Tinker
Idle time spent in scavenging and tinkering with other races' debris, ruins, and junk has taught you valuable skills as an inventor and fixer.
Prerequisites: Urgog race, Int 11+, Craft (any) 2+ ranks, Skill Focus (any Craft skill).
Benefit: You receive 2 bonus skill points at this level, to spend as you choose. These are not modified by Intelligence, nor are they multiplied if this is your 1st character level. Choose one skill from amongst Craft, Disable Device, Open Lock, or Use Rope, and that becomes a permanent class skill for you. Instead of gaining a permanent class skill in this manner, you may gain a +1 bonus on checks with your choice of one skill from that group. However, regardless, you suffer a -1 penalty on Fortitude saving throws, due to health hazards you encountered while building your familiarity.
[/sblock]
Design Notes
[sblock]
I'll provide some design notes on this soon. For now though, here's some tweaks for if you want the race to be a little more powerful:

Variant Urgog: +1 Level Adjustment
Remove the Strength and Intelligence penalties of the Urgog. Add a +2 racial adjustment to Wisdom. Expand the racial bonus on Profession (Cook) and Survival checks to also include Profession (Herbalist).
[/sblock]
Plot hooks
[sblock]
  • none as of yet
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
By the way, welcome to EN World, Edo.

I'll critique your Antecs a bit.... As written, it seems adequate with the +1 Level Adjustment.

Someone on the WotC forum mentioned a Magic card.......is that what the race is based on? I didn't recognize the picture, so I dunno, and I don't know what kind of abilities it had if so.

For reference: D&D does not assume Darkvision to be based on Infra-Red nor Ultraviolet wavelengths. It does not specify, because the designers wanted to avoid any problems or complications that could arise from using a specific modernly-known form of light for Darkvision. Since D&D doesn't specify and leaves it open to debate, you could give Antecs Darkvision and it wouldn't be a problem. Ultraviolet vision isn't really covered by any 3E D&D rules, so I wouldn't know how well UV sight would work underground or in other dark conditions (I'm no scientist or anything).

For others' ease of reference, I'll just copy and paste the Antec's stats here, from the WotC forum.
Edo on the WotC forums said:
Medium size, humanoid, base land speed 30 feet.
Stats: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom.
+2 racial bonus on Jump, Sense Motive, Survival. Antecs tend to survive.
Chitin affinity: +1 attack bonus with chitin made weapons and +1 defence bonus with chitin made armour. (bonus aplied to arms)
Swampwalk: Antecs walk across swamp terrain like on solid ground (rough/hindering swamp terrain is treated such as one category less then normal) and are immune to mundane swamp based diseases.
Compound Eyes (SU): as a result of compound eyes they have +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions and blinding attacks.
Chitin protection(SU): Resistance to acid 3.
Heritage: they could have draconic heritage feats.
There exist legend, that in old times, when humans just steped out of caves and dragons ruled the skyes, dragons shared they blood to humanoids, to aid a fight on ground with aberrations of all kinds. As aberrations are atracted by marshes, antecs get the most.
Dragon blood survived for millennias and could appear in rare individuals.
Level Adjustment: +1
Automatic Languages: Ha'antec, common. Bonus languages: draconic, elven, gnoll, dwarven, gith, aquan, sylvan, and any spoken in the region of origin.
Favored Class: Depends on chosen 'traditional' path. If antec choses path of might – ranger, if choses path of magic – druid.

Edo, what does the "(bonus applied to arms)" part mean?

The "and +1 defence bonus with chitin made armour" from Chitin Affinity should say "and +1 to the armor bonus from chitin-made armor."

Also, how is the quote you used about compound eyes and compound minds integrated with this? All I can see that represents the latter is the Wisdom bonus, but not any other mental benefits from it. I'd suggest giving them Improved Uncanny Dodge as a racial trait (but not Uncanny Dodge; their mind may let them handle multiple opponents in battle, but I don't think it would automatically make them quick to react otherwise).

Similarly, I would give them a +2 or so on Spot checks because of their compound eyes. I also suggest making the Compound Eyes trait extraordinary (EX), not supernatural (I don't see any reason why it should be SU, anyway).

Likewise with Chitin Protection, it should probably be extraordinary (EX). And shouldn't it provide a natural armor bonus of +1 or +2 at least?

If giving them these extra benefits, I'd suggest making them LA+2 instead of LA+1, and giving the Antecs +2 Strength and one free copy of the Toughness feat, so they wouldn't suck with the +2 LA.

Arkhandus

First Post
I've updated the Leaflings and finished their descriptions. I tweaked their stats just a tad (poison save bonus replaced with a general fortitude bonus, paralysis resistance changed to immunity, think that's it), added a racial paragon class for them, added a racial feat for them, put in design notes for them, and added a few plot hooks.

Also updated the boura-boura racial paragon class by shifting around the levels that extra poison, bristleback, weapon focus, and hunting prowess (now called hunter) are gained at, and gave them auto proficiency in the boura-boura quill-blade.

I've also updated boura-boura with a few racial feats, and added several feats for urgogs as well. I've updated the urgog post also with a design note on making them LA+1 instead of LA+0 for those who may dislike the race's drawbacks for Regeneration.

I've moved Osseofex into a spoiler block, but haven't updated them with further bone-related abilities or background descriptions yet. I still need to add background to Mistfolk and Vrym'ka as well.... More will be forthcoming on Somnii and Nemeons at some point, too.

Now, I'll just give a bit of opinion/critique for other folks' contributions in the thread, since that's like half the point of the thread when Xereq started it......

Lapines: A neat race, and would probably be interesting to play or have one in the party. Rules-wise, I figure they're a bit too strong unless you use 3.5 dwarves as a guideline; I'd worsen the save vs. fear penalty to -2, and give them -2 on Knowledge skill checks to go along with their tendencies as written....

Faen: Unusual but interesting. I'd say they're a weak LA+1. Unfortunately it's missing some details, which would make it hard to use. I don't know what the Sentient Plant subtype does, so I don't know what Plant traits the race has exactly. The sidebar on Faen Whispers is absent, so I don't know what that does.... I'm wondering if Toxic Mind has any effect with Mind-Affecting effects that aren't psionic powers, such as those that are spells or monster abilities of a supernatural nature? Also, it doesn't say anything about whether or not it's more difficult for a creature with psionic powers that don't cost power points (due to being psi-like abilities or whatnot) to use them on the Faen. The Speak with Plants ability should probably have a different name, since it isn't clear if it works like the spell of the same name. Faen are lacking any mention of languages, favored class, or details on age categories and culture.

Drelanni: Kind of neat, think I'd like to play one, but there's a lot about them that's left undescribed or vague. I don't know quite why Fighter is their favored class, or how else they differ from elves physically (if at all) beyond the tail and the color difference. I don't know if they age the same as elves or anything. Also, I'd say they're definitely a +1 Level Adjustment race as-written. A tad weak for an LA+1, but definitely up there.

Arkhandus

First Post
(edit: forgot to mention this first, but meant to.... My urgog race's basic concept is from Xereq's "High Trolls" posted one or two years ago, as an LA+0 regenerating race. But Xereq never got around to reposting that race on this thread, after his High Troll thread disappeared. My urgogs only have a bit of resemblence to those, I think, as I haven't read that thread in a long time, and my urgogs are only meant to have the vaguest of similarities to trolls....)

Critique of the few I didn't get to earlier today....

Echto: I like the concept and the general execution, but there are a few gaps in the basic details and stats. Also, the race should definitely be labeled as having a +1 Level Adjustment; they just get too many benefits for a +0 LA (some of which are rather long-lasting in value, too). Echto have no mention of any ability score adjustments, though I assume they just have no racial adjustments to ability scores..... They have no mentioned favored class, or specified automatic/bonus languages (it's only implied that they would probably start with Common, and get any non-secret local languages as bonus language choices).

The Echto also does not mention anything about aging, height, or weight; there's no idea on how heavy they are, or whether or not they age (and whether or not they have a finite lifespan). The psionic power they get should specify that its effective manifester level is 1/2 their level, rounded up (as it stands, it doesn't really fit; they have no racial HD, so 1/2 HD is a bit misleading, and it would infer they have an ML of 0 at 1st-level, which brings into question whether or not they can manifest the power at 1st-level.

Also, the Repairing Meditation should specify a particular Conjuration (Healing) spell rather than saying 'any spell' of that subschool; they'd just choose the Heal spell every time, basically, getting a full recovery from everything each night for free. I would have it specify recieving, for instance, any spell of 3rd-level or lower from the Conjuration (Healing) subschool, at least. Then it would still be significant at lower levels, but not a big, automatic, full recovery from everything each night regardless of level.

Mushroomfolk: Also neat, and I had critiqued them before in Xereq's original thread about them, but that was around one or two years ago...... They're a good LA+0 race, though still lacking a few important notes....favored class, age categories, and height/weight specifics. Also, I don't know if Xereq ever answered in the original thread whether or not the Mushroomfolk DR applies against energy damage and such, or if it was meant to function only against piercing damage.

The Mushroomfolk Growth feat seems fine, but I don't know what all it's supposed to improve, other than the DR, the size mods on grappling and such, and useable weapon sizes. The lost size bonus on attacks, damage, and Hide checks may balance out the weapon and grappling benefits, but I dunno about the rest. The slashing vulnerability would generally balance out the DR boost at least, and maybe a bit more..... A tough feat to judge, really.

I know I had a problem with the spore feats when Xereq posted them originally, and they're still too potent now IMO, especially Improved Battle Spores. The first, Battle Spores, seems balance to me except for the number of uses per day; I would make it 2/day or Constitution bonus/day, whichever is higher for the character. Battle Spores also needs to specify the kind of action it takes to activate, and whether or not it provokes AoOs. Improved Battle Spores is clear enough on that (SU abilities don't normally provoke AoOs, and IBS says it's a free action), but IBS has far too potent an effect for a feat with no saving throw, a long duration, and several uses per day. I'd make it useable 1/day or half Con bonus/day, rounded up, whichever is higher for the character. I'd also give it a Fortitude save to negate (or at least a 'Fortitude partial' save, which would negate the secondary effect but still deal the initial 1d6 damage), same DC as with Battle Spores (though maybe a few points higher, like a DC of 14 + Con mod).

Rot Spore Fist might warrant needing a saving throw, but I'm not sure; it's just as likely that it doesn't need one. RSF mentions continuing hit point loss, but doesn't seem to cause any, so I don't know why it mentions that. It doesn't say when the Mushroomfolk chooses to activate it, and whether or not a missed attack causes that use of RSF to be wasted. The feat also doesn't say if the Remove Disease spell will automatically remove the disease effect of RSF, allowing the wound to be healed normally afterward.

Improved Rot Spore Fist has the same bits missing, except that it actually does cause continuing HP loss. However, IRSF does not say if it has a limit on uses per day (or if it just applies to any Rot Spore Fist attack). It says that a successful Heal skill check ends the continuing damage and allows the wound to be healed normally, but also says that it restores hit points. Normally a Heal check does not actually restore anything lost to a disease, but only removes the disease and prevents further harm from it, IIRC (allowing other effects or natural healing to restore the character). I would limit IRSF to simply applying with any attack made using the Rot Spore Fist feat.

Greater Rot Spore Fist seems fine, except it doesn't mention if it's a supernatural poison or a natural poison, and doesn't specify exactly that it's a contact poison, and GRSF doesn't specify if it can be used at the same time as RSF or IRSF (I would assume so, but I dunno, and thematically I would prefer it not be useable with the same unarmed strike). Also, I think it grants too many daily uses....I'd probably remove the extra '+1 per four character levels' daily uses.

Last edited:

Remove ads