• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Racial Level Limits: Did you Use Them?

Did you use racial level limits in AD&D?

• We observed the limits in all our games.

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • We observed them in all our games, but exceptions were possible.

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • We observed them in some games, not in others.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • We used modified limits.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • We didn't observe limits.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • We didn't reach the limits.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I don't know were to place my mark!

Votes: 5 4.2%

Stormonu

Legend
Some early 1E games, I used the hard limits. But by 2E, I just made the requirement of needing double to 5x the normal XP to advance beyond the limits, depending on humanocentric I wanted the world.

Ron

Explorer
We always used them but they were hardly a problem, as we found out we didn't enjoyed the game much at higher levels that, at the time, meant about ten.

Pilgrim

First Post
We used them in most games, ignored them in a few here and there. More often than not we used the modified levels adjustment options where available.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
We didn't hold to the level limts. Oh we tried a few times but when we reached them and were in position to exceed them it just seemed too arbitrarily cruel not to allow the player to continue.

What we DID observe quite faithfully (a very few singular exceptions) were the allowed classes and multiclass combinations. It's one thing to be told, "Don't even start." It's quite another to be told, "Now that you've come this far and are still having fun - STOP."
Add in that we hardly ever reached the level limits and that's the way most of the groups I played with did it. But I voted 'I don't know where to place my mark' because not all of them did it exactly that way. And some games used various work-arounds. (Higher limits, 2x XP, etc.)

Last edited:

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Interesting results up to now: no real "winner" but a number of factions of roughly the same size.

As I'm at work right now I'll let the matter drop until the evening. Keep on voting!

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
I always thought the limits were ridiculous. So, you've hit your limit... now what? Retire and start a new character? Usually if we did that we'd restart the campaign, otherwise the level disparity would be too great (and what would be the point of letting them come back in with a character at the same level...)

In other words, it was just a bad rule.

In order to balance demihumans, I imposed XP penalties... 20% for elves and 10% for dwarves, gnomes and halflings. Humans also received some new abilities- multiclassing instead of dual-classing (any two classes from different groups- Warrior, Rogue, Wizard, Priest, Psionicist), and two free NWPs, or one free NWP with a +5 bonus.

Then came 3e, and we said goodbye to all that... :)

Dice4Hire

First Post
Wow, that is a long time ago to try and remember...

I am pretty sure I never played a game that lasted that long so it never came up.

If it had I probably would have ignored it.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I voted that we didn't use them, as was the case in about 99% of our games.

However, we very rarely reached those limits to begin with, so it's somewhat moot. Campaigns which didn't end prematurely (due to TPK or whatnot) usually wrapped things up between levels 5-9. That was probably 6 months to a year of play though, since leveling was much slower back then.

Remove ads