• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Racial options without built in spells

The Glen

Legend
One problem 5e has is the oversaturation of magic, it makes playing in low magic settings difficult without a lot of house rules. Dark Sun or the Hollow World makes arcane magic difficult. Mystara has societal implications in the magiocracies like Glantri and Alphatia. But for races like elves and gnomes they start with spells and getting spells through feats isn't hard at all.

So why not a non-magical elf or similar as an option? It makes low magic settings playable without the dm rewriting the rules and makes for a race that's not just dark vision, spells and some proficiencies like most races have turned into

Horwath

Legend
there is lot's to do with elves, and yes, adding just spells once per day is lazy.

cantrip can be exchanged for extra skill,

elves might come built in with Elven accuracy feat,

or have again proficiency with 1Handed sword and bows, or damage die increase if they are already proficient.

advantage on initiative can describe quickness without boost to dex

proficiency in Perception does not really describe elven keen senses, expertise should be along as well.

Minor caveats:
  • I'm not sure that Dark Sun or the Hollow World really work without some significant specialized rules -- there's so much about the settings that is different that just using base D&D (such as the weapon and armor rules) has always had to have one form of change or another (Dark Sun even changed fundamental aspects of character creation like attribute generation and starting level).
  • Mystara in general is a little different in that really the only thing that changes from default is peoples' reaction to spellcasters. That said, back when we played BECMI D&D in Mystara, there always was that issue of 'my elf/Hsiao/sprite/whatever naturally has spellcasting, how do people react?'
That said, the fundamental point is accurate -- various races have moved from easily non-magical to innately magical in 5e, and it looks like the trend will continue in the revamp. That said, 5e (2014) wood elves and half-elves are a decent road map to how to make/keep/include non-magical elves in your game. I think (you are the same Glen, I assume) your Mystara Guide included some other elf options as well.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yeah, a casting of a spell x times a day is pretty dull compared to actual supernatural abilities not replicated in the books.

Or at least let them add something different to the spell, like the new gnomes casting prestidigitation on items to ''animate'' them. Or when a Shadow Sorcerer cast Darkness that they can see through.

I remember in 4e Drows had a feat or racial PP that allowed them to use Dancing Lights as captivating lures. Or adding a webbing effect (Slow condition) to their casting of Darkness.

Even just a skill proficiency is boring. Give the elves an ability like the Eagle Totem barb to see/hear from miles away.

Gnomes ability to speak to beasts should be innate, not casting a spell! How can a wizard dispel the natural ability of someone?!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It seems to me that, traditionally, Elves are the iconic magical people. Thematically, they have been symbolic of high magic.

If you want them in a low-magic setting, that's cool, but maybe not a thing you should expect to be handed in a core ruleset.

I think the more accurate phrasing for 4E would be "make everything a power", which include spells and class abilities.
As in everything that a character can do is either something they can perform at-will, during a particular encounter, or on a daily basis. These were carried over into 5e, weren't they?

Remove ads