• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rage (barbarian) and Guardian Form (warden) at the same time

Istar

First Post
Any reason why you cant do this ?

Comments from another party member going Barbarian.

I have however some news that may change your thinking of development for your warden:

• I could not see any rule on not having a Rage (barbarian) and Guardian Form (warden) at the same time. From a Multi-class perspective this means we can get more use out of our daily powers in key battles.
  • At Epic Level (or thereabouts) how does a daily power that grants a bonus to all defences equal to your strength modifier sound to you?

Basically I am looking at taking a MC feat to swap a barbarian daily rage power for a warden daily (guardian) to push up my melee potential. The second option of adding my strength to all defences makes me a pretty useful tank (I would say better than most tanks actually). Imagine your warden with this addition??

Mad Hamish

First Post
Unless they're stances you should be fine to have a rage and guardian form up at the same time.
As to a bonus to all defences equal to your str mod it _might_ just be acceptable for a round, it certainly wouldn't be as either a stance or just an encounter long effect.
By epic level you're probably getting at least +7 or +8 to all defences, far too much.

It also makes you a much less effective tank because even with a mark enemies have sod all chance of hitting you so they'll go and attack your allies.

Aulirophile

First Post
It works, not my preferred route though. One you lose Fighter MC (and by extension access to any feats from the Martial power source), two Guardian Forms are very powerful and it costs you another feat.

Dice4Hire

First Post
At Epic Level (or thereabouts) how does a daily power that grants a bonus to all defences equal to your strength modifier sound to you?

Way too much. Even a secondary score that does this is too much, much less the primary ability.

Basically I am looking at taking a MC feat to swap a barbarian daily rage power for a warden daily (guardian) to push up my melee potential. The second option of adding my strength to all defences makes me a pretty useful tank (I would say better than most tanks actually). Imagine your warden with this addition??

A warden with this power would be too good. Wardens, especially dwarven wardens can already get insane defenses with second wind cheese. This idea just gets rid of the cheese and makes it a lot easier.

DracoSuave

First Post
My stance on it is this.

Dailies are supposed to be gamechangers. They're supposed to turn the tide, so that a hard combat swings to the side of the good guys.

TWO dailies used at once should be very powerful indeed.

The reality is that using a barbarian and a warden daily at the same time isn't a problem. In fact, you're using up 50%-100% of your daily power allotment for the day in one combat... the combination of many guardian forms and barbarian rages are actually underwhelming when you consider the cost involved to do so.

It's kosher, you're allowed to do it, and it's probably not as potent as you'd think.

Obergnom

First Post
my 11th level Wildblood Warden was a MC Barbarian (with another defender in the group I was concentrating on striker and controller powers).

I swapped the 5th level daily for a rage. It was nice to be able to stack these powers, but usually I did not do that unless the battle was a desperate one. It is a nice option to have more daily powers that last you for the whole encounter till level 15. I never reached that level, but I would have retrained the feat, got my new Form instead and go for a barbarian encounter power, of which there are some very nice ones, too.

Istar

First Post
Way too much. Even a secondary score that does this is too much, much less the primary ability.

A warden with this power would be too good. Wardens, especially dwarven wardens can already get insane defenses with second wind cheese. This idea just gets rid of the cheese and makes it a lot easier.

You might have convinced me.
If the cost is a few feats and I can then avoid the 2nd wind pile up technique, it might be a bit easier and poss more fun.

I will have to investigate this daily barbarian power that gives +Str modifier to all defences for an entire battle.

Remove ads