• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Raiders of Oakhurst: A 4E Fan Playtest Adventure

DrSpunj

Explorer
Since I've been following this thread closely I thought I'd contribute my experience to date with the adventure. Thanks to Olgar for this fun 4E test run and everyone else in the thread for all their input.

Background: I played some AD&D in the 80s but didn't play consistently until 3E came out. I've played with a few different groups since then, anywhere from weekly to once a month, and for the last 3 years have been DMing a 3.5/AE/IH hybrid game once a month with a solid group of players of varying RPG experience. They haven't seen this yet as we're trying to wrap up our campaign from the last 2 years in the next few sessions.

Instead, I was asked to do a Q&A session for my son's homeschooling program organized by the community school district's homeschooling supervisor. That was on 3/4/08 (and yes, I did mention the passing of EGG to them!) and by the following week I had several parents and 6 homeschoolers who wanted me to run a few sessions for them to see if there was any long term interest.

4 girls, 2 boys; ages 12 x2, 13 x3 & 15; two of them are siblings, another two are fraternal twins, and all of them pal around with each other fairly frequently. None of them have any tabletop RPG experience though a few of them have played WoW and other computer and/or console RPG games of different types. At least one mother has some D&D experience and definitely plays some computer fantasy RPGs, but the other 3 parents I spoke with had very little idea about what RPGs or D&D specifically was all about.

Alright, with that out of the way:
We used all 6 PCs from WotC. I had printed out the Elf Rogue from the 4E forum as a backup but didn't end up needing it. We went over some basics one the character sheets but I made it clear I wanted them to mostly tell me what they wanted to try and do and I'd help them sort it if it was possible and how they might go about doing it.

We started in town with the basic backstory. I let them know the town would supply them with most any reasonable mundane supplies they might want but none of them came up with anything not already on the character sheets. The Ranger made a few Nature rolls to follow the not-really-concealed kobold tracks leading away towards the distant hills and off they went.

Because I wanted to break them in with a relatively straightforward encounter before they hit the kobold cave, I modified Olgar's adventure with a forest encounter on the way to the kobold cave. I took the Cavern Choker and reworked it a bit into what I named a "Creeping Willow" tree. Looking over the other monsters I changed it to a medium plant, dropped it's speed to 4 and gave it forest walk, maybe a few other minor changes but that's it; basically a trimmed down version of the Feygrove Choker as a tree. I also created Twig Blights (go Sunless Citadel!) based off the Human Guards (Soldier 1) with their Powerful Strikes described as being hit by the Twig Blight's club-like branches. So the encounter was one Level 4 Lurker (Creeping Willow) and 3 Level 1 Soldiers (Twig Blights).

The group chose to put the Ranger in back so they weren't ambushed from the rear, not sure why that was the common concern, but that left the Wizard (played by a 13 yo boy) in front which made the Creeping Willow happy with its Tentacle Claw and Choke after both he and the Fighter missed their Passive Perception checks against the Willow's Natural Camouflage and natural stealthiness in the woods.

I made it clear this was going to be the only encounter they had that "day" so they could go ahead and try their daily powers and use their action points if they wanted.

Round 1 (in no particular order): The young lady playing the Fighter (age 12) really quickly picked up on her role as tank and immediately got busy with 2 of the Twig Blights. The Paladin was played by the other boy in the group (also 12 yo) and he liked his Mark ability right away focusing on the remaining Twig Blight. The Warlock (15 yo girl) moved around to the side and blasted a TB while the Cleric (13 yo girl) healed the Wizard and the Ranger carefully shot the Creeping Willow (btw, I forgot the Body Shield ability this first round). The Wizard tried his Acid Arrow but missed and unfortunately felt a bit singled out here I think with him being the only taking any damage (and quite a lot of it!). The TBs hit the Fighter once and would have knocked her prone but for her Stand Your Ground ability but otherwise missed with their attacks.

Round 2: The Willow tree choked the Wizard some more, much to his and his companions chagrin. Between the Fighter's Cleave and the Warlock's Witchfire, the 2 TBs they were working on both turned into kindling. The Paladin's daily and Cleric took out the last TB (along with a Healing Word for the Wizard) while the Wizard felt helpless and used his Second Wind. That turned out to be a very smart move since the Ranger remembered to use her Hunter's Quarry on the only remaining enemy in sight (the Willow tree) and I remembered to use the Body Shield ability to interpose the Wizard. That was a very fun experience for everyone but the Wizard's player. They all thought I was cheating (but thought it was very cool!) a bit until I described better exactly what was happening with that ability and showed them the stat block. I think that's where they finally "got" that the game was a lot more than just rolling dice and comparing numbers. From that point on they were asking me more questions and really trying to mentally build the scene we were in. I don't think I was necessarily doing a better job building a scene from here on but they were definitely a lot more receptive on their end.

Round 3: The party is able to focus all their might on the Willow and take it out (mostly due to the Fighter's daily) before the Wizard died. There was much rejoicing.

They rested that night and I had them reach the kobold cave at about noon their 3rd day out from Oakhurst. One of them reasoned now they might be able to catch them all sleeping since the raids occurred at night implying they were nocturnal creatures (remember, none of them have any idea what a "kobold" is, and I didn't use the term until they entered the cave, described them and pulled out the minis).

They tried to sneak into the cave with the Ranger in front (they were a lot better about their marching order and even worked out some very basic tactics before entering the cave) but appropriately enough the Cleric & Paladin both rolled low on Stealth so Ichi-ichi was able to pull the alarm gong and set the caltrops as soon as the Ranger peaked around the cavern entrance. The party did choose to light a Sunrod and I think the Cleric was carrying it as the 4th or 5th in line. Note: I used exclusively Skeleton Key Games tiles for the entire cave setup, from the Passages, Caverns and Flooded Caves sets IIRC.

Round 1 (in no particular order): The Ranger couldn't see Ichi-ichi right away as she was focusing on the minions readying their spears around the fire pit. She carefully aimed at the nearest and killed it with high damage (they thought, I didn't explain about minions until after the battle). The Fighter was next and ran all the way into the cavern, stopping unknowingly just before a caltrop square. The Paladin did the same forming a two person wall as the Cleric brought in the sunrod, the Warlock came around and blasted another minion (again, rolled high damage, got high fives from her sister), and the Wizard came last and wanted to use his Sleep daily on the last couple kobolds but the party vetoed it once I reminded them there were several passages leading off in different directions; he missed with his Magic Missile. Ichi-ichi delayed until the minions moved up to take advantage of his Mob Attack and was able to stick it good to the Fighter. The two remaining minions both missed.

Round 2: The Ranger fey-stepped into the cavern to get a better bead on Ichi-ichi, but missed with the attack. The Fighter & Paladin together marked and killed both minions, with the Fighter's Cleave biting into Ichi-ichi. The Cleric swung at him with Priest's Shield I think but missed. The Warlock used Eyebite on Ichi-ichi for a bit more damage since she was closer than she wanted to the action. The Wizard maneuvered for a Magic Missile at Ichi-ichi and bloodied him. This caused him to call out to the minions entering from 1B as he fled/ran towards 1D.

Unfortunately our 3 hours was up at that point and we had to break off. We're trying to set up the next session for next week. I haven't looked through Reloaded yet, but I may extend the cavern complex to include some or all of those encounters if I can do so smoothly now that they've entered the place.

While I'm not sure what will happen to the group after we finish this adventure, as in, I don't know if I'll keep DMing them or not, nor whether they'll want to play more when 4E is officially out, I'm glad I did it to introduce them to D&D and RPGs in general. I think they were significantly more comfortable with their characters and abilities for the kobold battle than they were just picking up the basics during the forest encounter. Their "homework" between the first and second sessions is to be familiar with their character sheets and read through the Player's Quick Play Rules I grabbed from this forum. I'll try and post what happens with the next session if anyone's interested. ;)

Xorn

First Post
Super interested! One of my favorite things to do used to be running one-shot games down at the game shop, I'd schedule a game on the board the kids just getting old enough to really start getting into the game would sign up. Parents would drop the off for the afternoon and they'd play in a one-shot!

The guy that ran the store would let me use the store's terrain and minis, and gave me his employee discount on stuff. He said he sold two dozen PHBs one summer to people sitting in on those oneshots. There's something wholly surreal (and at the same time, normal) when you look over your DM screen to see a 12 year old, and a 32 year old sitting next to each other, looking at their sheets and discussing strategy. That's D&D for you. Thanks, Gary!

theskyfullofdust

First Post
I playtested this over the weekend, just to see how the mechanics of the game played out; tested it on my girlfriend who had never played any RPG before, let alone D&D. Going to play it with more people, with prior experience, next month.

Overall, it went well. No one died (although by the end of the dragon-encounter both the cleric, paladin and ranger were down) and the dragon was slain.

One thing that this did highlight was that someone completely new to the game picked it very quickly, even quicker than myself and I've been playing for over 20 years.

We liked the fact that no one was left useless during a fight; that each creature seemed different; that there were a few interesting powers to play with.

My girlfriend wasn't too impressed with some of the fighter's powers, which were only useful against multiple foes, so she was forever using the Tide of Iron (if I recall that right) power.

I liked the fact that at one point there were ten bad guys on the battlefield, which would rarely happen in 3.5.

Going to playtest the reloaded adventure next time, and do it 'properly' using the skills, role-playing, and so forth, now that we got the gist of the mechanics.

Thanks for making this adventure. It was fun.

Wormwood

Adventurer
theskyfullofdust said:
One thing that this did highlight was that someone completely new to the game picked it very quickly, even quicker than myself and I've been playing for over 20 years.
That's why I envy new players---no crap for them to unlearn.

Dizlag

Explorer
I ran this adventure last Friday night and would like to let you all know how it went. This may turn into a really long post … so bear with me. =)

The characters played were the Wizard, Cleric, Rogue, Fighter, and Paladin. They were chosen at random and I must say my group were definitely into the "role" playing part of it. Especially the cleric, the player chose a cleric miniature that was darker skinned, so Erais was a "brother from the hood". I dunno why, but it struck us all funny and he did a great job with it.

I have a question … what is a thorp? Actually, I know what it is and I'm sure they did to, but I'll be damned if their characters did. ;-) And of course, Erais was mentioning Jim Thorpe and the halfling paladin asked Teren, "Is this thorp of Oakhurst more like a village or is it closer to a hamlet?" I replied in kind saying it was a farming "community". And from there, the night was kicked off in the right direction. Hehehe

When I mentioned "chickens" being taken and of course sheep, it started to go down hill but was quickly back on track when they finally decided to follow the tracks to the cave.

Encounter 1: Kobold Warren - The rogue stealthed in brilliantly (he rolled a natural 19) and got the low down on what was ahead of them. Dog-faced scaly baddies eating some roasted chicken. He returned to the party, let him know the lay out, and snuck back in next to Ichi-ichi. The cleric and paladin lead the way, then the rogue sneak attacked Ichi-ichi as he banged on his gong. *cue a pop song from a decade or two ago* The minions met the attack of the cleric, wizard (magic missile), and paladin by dying. And the fighter put his own spin on the battle by falling on his face as he charged in (yes, the player rolled a natural "1" and I figured a fumble-rooski would be funny here ;-) The other group of minions came out, surrounded the rogue, and Ichi-ichi (using the bonus from his minions) backhanded the rogue with the gong mallet. The minions, yet again were taken down quickly by the rest of the party and Ichi-ichi was done in by the rogue. Pik and Otto-wombo approached the top of the stairs. Seeing the battle over, Otto-wombo barked at Pik telling him to worn King Meepo and he tossed a gluepot at the paladin … missing. It was a valiant effort to by his companion time, but Otto-wombo was over-come-by-events that ended his life quickly and painfully … a magic missile, a crossbow bolt, a lance of faith, and a thrown hammer from the paladin. And during the aftermath of battle, this is where the night just turned fun into hilarious. I let them know the gong was small about 1.5 - 2 ft. in diameter, so the halfling paladin took it. After looks of confusion and laughter, the characters proceed down the cavern where Pik retreated.

DM's Comments: I didn't bring Varkaze down the cave for this because it was over before it even got started. I did however, have the archer sneak down to assess the situation and snuck back, so the hobgoblins would've been ready. This fight was very easy for this group and was a perfect introduction encounter to their powers and abilities.

Encounter 2: The Kobold King - The rogue led the way up in the edge of his low-light vision and finally into the cave with Pik and Meepo. He didn't notice the spider and the spider didn't notice him. So, the rogue got into position behind Meepo and waited … and waited … and waited. Suddenly, he heard the gong getting banged on like no tomorrow and the paladin yelling, "Oh rogue! Hello? Rogue?" With that, the fighter walked up into the room and the spider used it's Death From Above attack to take him to a bloodied state. The rogue took his surprise attack as well almost taking Meepo to a blooded state as well. The rogue won his initiative and spent an action point to make two attacks on Meepo with his first one a sneak attack and the second one an at-will power … yes, Meepo was blooded with only 1 HP left. ;-) Pik maneuvered around the rogue and missed his attack, but gave Meepo the combat advantage needed to hit with his rapier. The spider got blasted by the cleric and used it's Prodigious Jump to leap over the fighter and behind the cleric to land another solid blow. The paladin marked it and missed, then the wizard took it's shots at the spider, damaging it a bit. The rogue took down Meepo and the fighter moved in on Pik, who after seeing his King die, dropped his weapon and gave up. The wizard, paladin, and cleric were still having their own fun with the spider as it recharged BOTH abilities (I rolled a "6" … w00t!) using them again to get yet another nice attack in on the cleric. But, it was for naught because the spider was bloodied was taken out soon after it's last defiant attack.

In the aftermath, the paladin, a cleric of luck, blindfolded himself and whipped a hammer at Pik saying, "If the goddess of luck wants us to let you go, then this hammer will completely miss you. But, if not may this hammer strike you DOWN!" He rolled a natural "1" and yet again, it was the fighter who was the recipient of a fumble … clocked him good too. *insert hilarious laughter, a grumbling dwarf, and everyone yelling, "NO!" as the paladin reached for another hammer*

DM's Comments: Ok, I love this Deathjump Spider and it's abilities. The recharging mechanic is pretty solid, IMHO. Why didn't I use Meepo's Wicked Dodge ability? To be honest, I forgot. Playing this 4th edition playtest was a last minute decision and it just slipped past me. Question on it though ... if Meepo hasn't acted in the encounter yet, can he use this ability?

Encounter 3: Nightscale's Lair - The rogue noticed the secret door and they made their way to Nightscale's Lair. The rogue, ahead of the party again, was first into the huge cavern and was taken aback by it's size and luminesence . The paladin got out the gong and banged on it, yet again. Enter Nightscale. A surprise breath weapon attack hit the paladin (after I rolled to hit a second time, yes he used his racial power called Second Chance) and fighter solid. Nightscale won initiative, the breath weapon didn't recharge, so she dropped her Cloud of Darkness on the entire party except the wizard … he wasn't far enough down the hallway. With everyone blinded, they heard a splash … Nightscale retreated back into the water. The cleric moved first and was out of the darkness, on the opposite side of it from Nightscale he told everyone it wasn't that big and they could move out of it. The rogue, paladin, and fighter moved out of it. The wizard just held his action to follow the cleric.

Nightscale attacked, breath weapon recharged this time, only got the paladin and landed. I spend an action point and took two claw attacks … one on the fighter and one on the paladin. "What?", comes from somewhere around the table as I sit back behind my DM's screen. I smile back as I let them know solo monsters like this iconic dragon get action points too. Looks of fear are seen all around the table. They thought I was just kidding when I put the dragon mini on the table. :p

"Fighter, you're up." I say. And the fighter hit Nightscale pretty good and made his save, but the paladin was still not having a good time with the acid and moved in anyways … starting his "mark". The rogue moved in for a sneak attack, he missed and was tail slapped. "8 Radiant damage!", the paladin's player called out. And this was the beginning of the end for the dragon and for my sanity for the night. Hehehe The following round was nice for Nightscale again, because I used another action point to get two claw attacks and a bite. However, the "8 Radiant damage" on the bite and one claw sucked. For the next several rounds, Nightscale's breath weapon did not recharge, the paladin retreated, the fighter "stuck" her in her spot so she couldn't attack the paladin. "8 Radiant damage!" Tail slapping the rogue and biting the fighter. "8 Radiant damage!" "8 Radiant damage!" Paladin heals himself, "8 Radiant damage" as Nightscale bites the fighter for a third round in a row. "Is the dragon bloodied yet?", the players ask and I respond with a quick look at her 200+ HPs, "Nope." More paladin mark / radiant damage plus the fighter's Combat Superiority = bloodied dragon. She gets off her immediate breath weapon on the fighter, taking him negative.

The paladin's player realizes at this point (and after I mention 80 HPs of damage from the radiant damage total) the radiant damage is only once per round. DOH! We just continue as is with only one radiant damage done to Nightscale per round for now on. The fighter gets healed, then drops again. Hehehe The damage from all the characters, mainly the fighter and the paladin's mark is taking Nightscale down … no breath weapon recharged yet again for several rounds. As she gets down to 50 HPs, her breath weapon recharges and I tear into the paladin good. This is where she takes off and retreats. Only one OA hits on Nightscale as she flies away. They all move to the edge of the water … in a line, but my breath weapon doesn’t recharge. So, she flies out further and the dwarf swims out to the island. The paladin starts sinking halfway out. And the rogue runs around to cross the stream. Nightscale gets a recharge on her breath weapon and sees the lone fighter on the island … breath weapon hits and the fighter dies. Yes, he had 1 HP left and swam out to the dragon. I did 13 damage with the breath weapon taking him to -12 HP. Fighter is up and takes 5 acid ongoing immediately … -17 HP = dead fighter. The rogue gets one attack and misses … and Nightscale gets away.

DM's Comments: The paladin's player said, "Retreating in this game IS a deadly tactic." Referring to his mark ability and the fact that the dwarf died and the paladin almost drowned when Nightscale retreated. Hehehehe Yeah, if it wasn't for the paladin's mark and the fighter's "sticky-ness" it would've been a TPK. If we did the mark right from the get go, might've been even more deadlier. IMHO, if the paladin doesn't attack it's marked target in a round then the mark comes off. I got a little frustrated at them for this tactic, but as written they used it. I felt better once I realized it was once per round. This was just a mis-read by my players and I didn't read the power all the way through before to realize it was a once a round damage power. I should have known, but it doesn't matter. We had a great time and they really like the new system. Here are some of their questions, comments, etc …

Overall Player's Comments:
- The cleric at-will abilities are all attacks … no "buffing" abilities are at-will because they are coupled with an attack. You have to attack AND hit, in order to buff your allies. A stand-alone at-will buff power would be a lot better here.
- The dragon's AC was WAY high for any of them to hit. The fighter was the only one hitting on a regular basis.
- If it wasn't for the paladin's mark and fighter's combat superiority, a TPK would've in sued.
- The players really like the new edition. Always having something to do is definitely a plus for them … i.e. the wizard tossing two magic missiles and being done for the day, is now history and a good thing.
- They also liked the bloodied stat, -blooded death threshold, and the healing surges mechanic / concept. It might seem like it's harder to die, but it's just that 1st level characters now are pretty powerful compared to previous editions.
- And that's another thing they like, starting off more powerful and having a more gradual slope to uberness. =)

My Overall Comments:
- Pretty much what the player's have said. I realize we haven't seen the PHB yet, so those powers for the cleric on the pre-generated sheet are not the only ones to choose for 1st level … I hope. The dragon's AC was nasty, yet at the same time this is THE iconic monster of Dungeons & DRAGONS.
- Speaking of the dragon, I had a GREAT time playing her. THE most fun playing a dragon I've ever had. The looks on the player's faces when I used an action point and a second action point was priceless. The shock that came from an immediate tail lash after a missed attack was classic as well.

This adventure is VERY solid and a great introductory module for 1st level characters. It's 4th Edition's "The Burning Plague" adventure, IMHO. And instant classic for us all. Thanks for the adventure, Olgar, and I'm looking forward to the released version of The Raiders of Oakhurst Reloaded.

Thanks again for a great time for a bunch of dorks like me. Sorry this post was SO long and thanks to those to stood reading through the whole thing. =)

Game on!

Dizlag

pukunui

Legend
Dizlag said:
The cleric at-will abilities are all attacks … no "buffing" abilities are at-will because they are coupled with an attack. You have to attack AND hit, in order to buff your allies. A stand-alone at-will buff power would be a lot better here.
This is one of the few things that concerns me about the new rules. I really do hope there are some buff-only powers for the cleric but I'm not holding my breath. The whole "hit to buff" thing seems to be their way of avoiding the "cleric as walking bandaid" problem.

Trolls

First Post
I ran the adventure today, now to share my experiences!

General Points:
-Tactical thinking was great, the players really took to the challenge and thought about where to move, who to attack etc.
-Stuck with 3e. There were some things my players couldn't unlearn. The difference between shifting and moving being the main one. They had it by the end (the dragon encounter), but with the hobgoblins and kobolds I was constantly hearing "ok, so I move 5ft here...that's a 5ft step right, so no AoO?"
-The marks weren't as troublesome as I thought they would be. The players remembered their marks, and though I forgot from time to time, it only made the players have more fun as they declared "Ah ha! That's 8 damage!"

The kobold warrens encounter went pretty slowly as we tried to figure out what to do and how to play the characters, but after a few rounds, when all the reinforcements had arrived, it felt like a real battle...exactly how it should be. We had the fighter and the paladin defining two front lines, one to the right and one to the left, while the ranger jumped around the field and the warlock and wizard stood back and blasted things.

It actually worked out much better during the hobgoblin encounter, though, since I got to use a few of the battlefield tactics myself. The soldier pinned down the fighter and the paladin with the two archers directly behind him. Together, they kept the defenders busy while picking off the strikers as they made their way around to get to Varkaze.
The encounter was difficult, most characters had used their second winds by the end, but it turned around when they realised they should start using their dailies. The wizard put Varkaze and an archer to sleep, while the ranger rolled a critical with Split the Tree to take out them both out when they finally woke up. All in all, a fun, interesting encounter. Just the right amount of danger.

Now...the dragon. The defenders immediately set up a front line on the water's edge, and after the breath weapon the strikers spread out around to sides of the pool. The wizard tried to follow, and learnt very quickly that frail controllers shouldn't wander past a solo monster. He died from an overkill (never got to use the dying mechanic!), but only after he managed to put the dragon to sleep. By this point, all the healing was spent, and Nightscale wasn't even bloodied. But with a sleeping dragon, the characters regrouped and went to town with their dailies. A critical hit on On Pain of Death and Curse of the Dark Dream, along with a decent roll from Brute Strike put Nightscale in danger, and after nearly killing the fighter and paladin, she finally succumbed.
The main thing I noticed from this encounter was that the first half was pretty boring, while the second half was much more fun. To begin with, the dragon's annoyingly high defences meant that it was the only real player. While they tried to set up some manoeuvres, none of them worked, and they were getting frustrated. Once the Sleep spell got through and they had a streak of luck that all changed, though. I guess it's just a case of losing being less fun that winning.

Some negative remarks, to balance things out:
-Still not sure about the saving throw mechanic. I want to use it more and with other monsters first, and see what it's like at higher levels, though, before I consider any house ruling.
-The dragon was too hard to hit. Even the ranger had trouble hitting with Careful Attack. I think maybe a 3rd level solo would be a more fun challenge for 1st level characters.
-Missing a daily isn't fun, even if it does half damage. Once characters get more than one daily, though, I expect this won't matter as much.

Overall, though, very fun game. Much more than a 3e game would have been, especially at 1st level.

If anyone is interested in seeing how the adventure plays turn-by-turn, I'm running the adventure play-by-post here:
Raiders of Oakhurst PbP

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Trolls said:
-Stuck with 3e. There were some things my players couldn't unlearn. The difference between shifting and moving being the main one. They had it by the end (the dragon encounter), but with the hobgoblins and kobolds I was constantly hearing "ok, so I move 5ft here...that's a 5ft step right, so no AoO?"
My group had this problem too.

-Still not sure about the saving throw mechanic.
Me neither. It seems to me like no ongoing effects will ever last very long ...

-The dragon was too hard to hit. Even the ranger had trouble hitting with Careful Attack.
I've run two 4e previews now, and both times the guys playing the ranger rolled so badly every time they used that power that my group has renamed it "Careless Attack". ;)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads