D&D 4E Raiders of Oakhurst Reloaded -- Free 4E Adventure (Ennie Nominated!)

This probably deserves its own thread ... but Raiders of Oakhurst Reloaded was just nominated for an Ennie in the category of Best Fan Product!

You'll note that this is the only 4E product this year that is eligible for an Ennie .... so if you're a big 4E fan who enjoyed this adventure, make sure you get to the Ennies site between 21 July and 3 August and vote!

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Raiders of Star's Hallow

Party of 4: Fighter, Warlord, Rogue and Wizard

The game started in the cave mouth (stone table) then after one fight back tracked to why they were there. Some of the session was spent roleplaying in Star's Hallow - yes I stole the town from Gilmore Girls, and converted it to D&D. Since it is so well developed I will keep Oakhurst around for the next small town they come across. Starshallow had blessed 5 chickens for the sumer festival. The kobold raiders then stole the chickens. PCs were offered 20 gp each for the return of the Blessed chickens.

Players rolled easily through the first room, then without stopping went onto the next room, Skull-Skull from the back of the DMG. Where they actually took enough damage to need a short rest. Although they could hear the chickens they were sent to retrieve down the hall.

Session 2: went back in, got into a fight with the priest, dragonshields and Meepo, over the chickens. With that much support meepo was deadly and the entire party was KO'd except for the wizard. He retreated through Skull-Skull when the rogue made a nat 20 recovery save. the rogue climbed the back stairs and rode the swinging skull back into combat.

Later they killed the women and children, although the wizard accuracy predicted that one of the kids had surrived and would threaten them again. They learned orcs had taken over the dungeon and were occupying a room above the waterfall. Another short rest and they easily cleared the waterfall, using the skull-skull rope as a bolo to knock down a kobold slinger. The final encounter was an orc raider, berserker and evil eye who replace the hobgoblins. The orc priest had the force lance power, so that people could be pulled into the chasm (now only 10' deep with increased falling damage.) Once again the fighter and warlord were knocked out leaving the cowardly but suprisingly durable staff-mage to finish off the orcs (final hp 3, 8) the rogue managed to survive by using riposte strike again and again.

It was a fun game but the Warlord was frustrated by the fact that he is a front line fighter who cant protect himself, only adjacent allies. We had two near party kills in lvl 3 fights (625 xp) but the party acknowledges its poor tactics.
As a DM I can plan good tactics ahead of time, but don't do well adapting tactics to the changing situation. The Players are exactly opposite, plunging in stupidly, but getting smarter as they near getting wiped out. It will be interesting to see who adapts to the possibilities of 4e faster.

I just realized i forgot the boulder trap on the waterfall no wonder it was so easy...

Last edited:

Remove ads