• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Raise Shields!

From Design and development: Elite Bulettes

The fighter is also in range of the burst, but he brushes the soil aside with his shield.

From a (probable) excerpt from Races and Classes:

Feats and fighter powers will allow a sword & shield fighter to accumulate greater AC bonuses and the ability to defend others.

And from a Mike Mearls comment:

"Shields are a little tricky, because if they're too good everyone wants one, but if they are too lame everyone wields a big weapon. For 4e, we've taken an approach with shields (and most other weapons) where classes that are supposed to be good with something have options and abilities that augment that thing....So, a fighter might take maneuvers or feats that improve his shield use. A cleric might carry a shield, but the cleric class lacks any specific mechanics to make the shield better."

It would appear that WotC is striving to make shields different than they have in previous editions. I have no inside information (curse not playtesting!), but I will speculate that in 4E, fighters can use a shield to block, much like the Jedi Talent from Star War Saga Edition (SWSE).

For those lacking SWSE, the block talent allows a person to negate a melee attack against them by rolling a skill against a DC of the attack roll that hit him. A similar idea could work with a shield. Roll (something or other), with a DC of the attack that’s hit you. If you succeed, your shield intercepts the attack and you take no damage. (In principle it works much like the Mounted Combat feat in 3.X, but with shields instead of horses.)

Having shield block as a talent would still allow clerics and others to carry a shield for the AC boost, but a fighter would have extra options. It would also provide a clear difference between the 2-H greatsword using brawler and the more defensive focused combatant.

Your thoughts?

Cadfan

First Post
That's possible, but another possibility is simply that fighters can protect against area of effect attacks with a shield, possibly by gaining an Evasion type ability, or simply a bonus to Reflex versus that particular attack type.

Gloombunny

First Post
Or maybe the bulette used an area-of-effect attack against AC, and the writer used a bit of creativity in describing the in-character ramifications of a failed attack roll.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Loincloth of Armour said:
For those lacking SWSE, the block talent allows a person to negate a melee attack against them by rolling a skill against a DC of the attack roll that hit him. A similar idea could work with a shield. Roll (something or other), with a DC of the attack that’s hit you. If you succeed, your shield intercepts the attack and you take no damage. (In principle it works much like the Mounted Combat feat in 3.X, but with shields instead of horses.)

Having shield block as a talent would still allow clerics and others to carry a shield for the AC boost, but a fighter would have extra options. It would also provide a clear difference between the 2-H greatsword using brawler and the more defensive focused combatant.

Your thoughts?

Ooh, that's awesome. I dearly, dearly hope that's what they do with them.

Irda Ranger

First Post
I could go with Cadfan/Gloombunny or the OP's contention. Iron Heroes has some cool Shield Mastery options.

And it certainly "makes sense" that shields would grant some bonus to blocking area effects. I like the concept (in fact, it's been a house rule of mine for some time).

RPG_Tweaker said:
It's about high time the shield become a viable means of active defense!

Hear Hear! In my (maybe not humble) opinion, Sword&Board should be the optimal choice for warriors, just like in real life*

* At least for Heroic (1-10) levels

Amphimir Míriel said:
Hear Hear! In my (maybe not humble) opinion, Sword&Board should be the optimal choice for warriors, just like in real life*

* At least for Heroic (1-10) levels

Or if you pick up some tasty specializations for two handed fighting.

This does look ideal.

Cadfan said:
That's possible, but another possibility is simply that fighters can protect against area of effect attacks with a shield, possibly by gaining an Evasion type ability, or simply a bonus to Reflex versus that particular attack type.

Or, another possibility is that we're both right. One martial power choice gives the block talent with shields, another gives something like evasion while carrying a shield.

I could easily see a shield talent tree:

Shield Block (gives block talent)
Shield Cover (gives evasion (more or less.))
Shield Bash (bonuses to strike with shield)
Shield Throw (for those Captain America wannabes)
Shield a Friend (intercept attack against adjacent ally)

Remove ads