D&D 5E Raise your hand if your mom...

Falcon10275

Banned
Banned
took away your D&D books when you were 10 years old because the news said there was devil worshiping...

Also when I was growing up, I always felt a little nerdy with the D&D thing, and kept it secret, but that changed when I was 14 years old. We were visiting my brother at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, and his roomate, who was about 6'5" and built like an NFL linebacker told me he played AD&D hard core at the academy in a club. I was out of the D&D closet after that! In fact, it was at that moment that I ended up buying the blue expert rules box in the Annapolis bookstore. this was 1987.

I also painted a lot of the lead miniatures, but didn't know what the hell to do with them?

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Sorry, nope...my mom and dad bought me my RPG stuff for years (until I got a job myself; I think that was 14 or so I). In fact, only one of my friends had their mom go on about "the evils of D&D"...she never tossed any of his stuff out, but she threatened to. Mind you, she was rather religious, so that was why. All my other friends parents? Nope...all of them bought stuff for their kids (all different types; some christian, some athiest, some pagan, and everything in between).

In fact, up here in the Yukon (Canada, btw), I don't think the "D&D is evil!" thing ever got more than a raised eyebrow from anyone. Probably because we're generally pretty laid back...and have other things to worry about (like getting eaten by a bear when you go salmon fishing, or hunting).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Iosue

Legend
My dad saw us playing with the hand-me-down Moldvay Basic I got from a friend and surprised us with a brand spanking new Mentzer Red Box. It was awesome.

Tormyr

Hero
I was one of those good kids that actually asked first. I was not allowed to play.

I played some of the video games in college, but that was it.

Last September, at the age of 34, my wife said,"You want to get out more and meet new people. Why don't you try D&D?" I got started with the play test and never looked back.

Joe Liker

First Post
When I was 11 and reading The Two Towers, my mother asked me if it went against the teachings of the Baptist church.* To be honest, I wasn't entirely clear what that even meant, but I wisely said "No."

She sometimes wondered if she should take my D&D stuff away, and she got extremely angry when I drew a picture of a sword on one of my school folders. (She called it a dagger. Thanks a lot, Mom! My drawing skills aren't that bad!)

But she had divorce guilt, and I was such a good student that she knew she couldn't justify going through with it. I probably would not have been a good kid anymore if she had something so unjustified and unfair.

* I stopped being a Baptist within a couple of years of this conversation.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I was one of those good kids that actually asked first. I was not allowed to play.

I played some of the video games in college, but that was it.

Last September, at the age of 34, my wife said,"You want to get out more and meet new people. Why don't you try D&D?" I got started with the play test and never looked back.

Awesome wife!

I found my dad's red box from his college days in the garage. Guys were playing during lunch at middle school. My grandparents weren't happy, but my parents were fine.

Thaumaturge.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
My mum gave me my first RPG on my 10th birthday. Previously that fall I'd gotten into D&D through a friend's teenage brother and I'd been "making my own D&D" ever since.

My mother had never heard of D&D or RPGs but when she saw that game (it was an Icelandic RPG called Askur Yggdralsis) she immediately thought that was similar to what I was "making" and I'd enjoy.

She was correct. Best bday gift ever.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I grew up in a poor religious conservative household. And my mom bought our D&D stuff for us on Christmas and birthdays. Her philosophy as, "They're spending a ton of time playing this game and it's only gonna cost me $9 instead of spending $20-$30 on other toys for the same amount of time spent playing it? Deal."

Strangely enough, she didn't want us listening to rock music though, and banned us from listening to Huey Lewis's I Want a New Drug. Which ironically enough, was not about drug use.

Remove ads