• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Raise your hand if your mom...

The_Gneech

Explorer
My mom, no. But I did have a random woman in a library who saw me working on a dungeon tell me it was Satanic. And no amount of actual facts would convince her otherwise. Conversation ended with: HER: "You may not THINK it's Satanic, but believe me, it is." ME: "You may THINK it is, but believe me, it isn't." She gave up on me after that.

-The Gneech :cool:

Gargoyle

Adventurer
raises hand

I was 16. She did not like the pictures of demons and devils in the 1E AD&D books. Moved out soon after. I still consider myself Christian, but that, among other events, taught me to embrace the philosophy of Christianity (one word sums it up: kindness) and to ignore the dogma.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Nope, not that it would have mattered - by the time D&D came around, I was already 17 and past the time of Mom 'forbidding' me to do anything. If there had been some kind of conflict, I'd have simply played at other people's houses and not informed her of what was going on.

There were a couple of others who were a little younger and whose parents DID take them away. We chipped in, bought them new books, and 'hosted' the books, dice, etc at someone else's house until the real owner went away to college or something and could reclaim them.

Crothian

First Post
I got the D&D box set when I was 7 from Santa. Even though I was raised in a very strict Catholic household they never had any issues with my playing D&D.

the Jester

Legend
My folks were always cool about D&D (although I got my D&D privileges revoked occasionally when I was in trouble/grounded), but my primary DM in high school had a crazy dad who burnt his stuff a couple of times, including not just D&D material, but his science fiction books and stuff like that as well.

Midknightsun

Explorer
No they didn't take them away, even though I started getting into it when the whole Satanic scare was in high gear. My Mom worried now and then about some teenage angst I went through and asked me if it had anything to do with D&D. Obviously, that was silly. I was a teenager and angst was just a byproduct of a difficult time growing up. My dad would make jokes about it (stupid ones, but that's my dad for you:p), but really didn't care. I did have an aunt and uncle who watched Mazes and Monsters and started fearing for me, but other than that my parents just thought I was a dork (totally true, btw, but I come by it honestly). They were just happy they knew where I was on the weekends and wasn't doing drugs or drinking (That would come later in college).

Mr Fixit

Explorer
I started in the early-mid 90s, well after the whole "devil thing", and besides I get the impression that was largely a US phenomenon. Though, I remember my mom always reacting with a raised eyebrow and incomprehension when I told her I was going to a session with friends.

Session? What session? What kind of game are you boys playing if it involves sessions?

The fact that she's a medical doctor probably didn't help any.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
We were just talking about this last night at my Phandelver campaign. One of my players is 28 and her mother asked her, "Are you sure about this D&D thing?" as she was walking out the door.

We then had to explain the '80s to the nine-year-old at the table.

My parents are Catholic but that was never why my father objected to the game -- he is just an intensely practical dude and thought it was a distraction and a waste of time. I think if I'd been a C student instead of an A student I might not have been allowed to play.

Sometimes I'm tempted to put on a nice suit and go around door to door asking people if I can talk to them about Gygax.

They weren't mine, they were my brothers (AD&D 1st ed) - and my parents bought them for him as a Christmas present. I wound up playing way more than he did.

Remove ads