• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Random, balanced, fail proof 5E stat generation system

Fanaelialae

Legend
I have a method for generating stats that's also based on the standard point buy (as an average), although this admittedly allows you to start with an 18. If that's not to you're liking, you can always reduce the array and add a few extra dice.

Start with an array of 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3

Roll 14d6 and drop the two lowest rolls. If the total of the rolls is 42 or less, reroll.

Take two rolls and add them to one number from the array to generate an ability score. Obviously, a number/roll that has been used cannot be used again.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, after people online said my 4E stat generation method was too complex even if it was only one sentence. This despite that method going viral among everyone I ever gamed with in real life and everyone they gamed with as well.

The method was--use 26 points instead of 22 points for point buy, but stats cannot be higher than 18 after racial modifiers.

Iry

Hero
I just have my players use a random array from http://aramis.hostman.us/dnd/RedrickRoller.html
Redrick Roller is excellent and a great solution. Sometimes I tell a player to keep the first roll, choose one out of the first two rolls, or keep rerolling until you get a 15 somewhere. All easily doable with the Redrick Roller.
This despite that method going viral among everyone I ever gamed with in real life and everyone they gamed with as well. The method was--use 26 points instead of 22 points for point buy, but stats cannot be higher than 18 after racial modifiers.
I wouldn't connect the two. Almost every table has considered/discussed X Point Buy / 18 Cap at some point.

Horwath

Legend
To me point buy is still the best method. But I do like your effort even if it is little too complicated.

But point buy is so simple and fair. And easy to work with.

You want super hero campaign? Add 6 or 7 pts to starting 27 for great heroes.

Want your players to be similar to commoners? substract 6 or 7 points (but who would want to play that way :p )

Li Shenron

Legend
There really isn't a stat generation method that can give random results, not result in weak characters, keep the imbalance to a minimum, all while discouraging fudging/cheating.

IMXP there are 2 different cases that can mean a dissatisfied and grumpy player. I'm not going to elaborate on the psychology of such players, but obviously one "solution" is to get rid of the player type...

1) getting a stat with a negative modifier

Even just one -1 modifier on a secondary stat can deliver a powerful feeling of "I suck at that" to those players, who will take pleasure in reminding everyone about that at every occasion.

To avoid the case bulletproof, I am afraid the only thing you can do is to set a floor at 10 to stats.

2) getting overall lower stats than another player

The narrower the gap, the lower the chance of complaints, but to eliminate the problem completely you can choose to have a zero gap.

---

Because of these, rather than randomize the total number of stat points, I would instead randomize the distribution, and at the end allow some limited re-arrangement (so that everyone can play their favourite class).

For example:

- take the point-buy method as a reference
- apply 12 points to increase all scores to 10 (you then have 15 points left)
- roll 15d6 to add the remaining points to random stats (no higher cost for high scores)
- let the player swap two scores
- let the player move 2 points freely

You can optionally put a hard limit on the maximum (e.g. 15) just like in standard point-buy.

This method means that every player has the same stats total, no negative modifier, some randomness, but is guaranteed to have the maximum (15) in the primary stat needed by the chosen class.

ccs

41st lv DM
After reading the comments in the rolling stats thread, I was inspired to make a system for generating random but fair stats for 5E. I put a first draft of the system into that thread, but have since revised/simplified it. These were my goals:

1. Make it impossible to generate a "bad character" not up to par(defined as the array/pointbuy listed in the PHB)
2. Keep the game balance between a well rolled character and a poorly rolled one within tolerable limits
3. Make the results as random as possible while achieving the first two goals.
4. Allow for rolling up a specific class, or to randomly determine stats before choosing a class.

With this system, the array or point buy is more or less the floor. The average result would correspond to an above average 4D6 drop lowest character, and a strong result will be lower than than a strong 4d6 drop lowest character.

Method I: rolling up a specific class

(In order)

1. Place a 15 in your primary offensive stat: Str for Barbarian, Fighter, and Paladin, Dex for Monk, Ranger and Rogue, Int for Wizard, Wis for Cleric and Druid, and Cha for Bard, Sorcerer and Warlock

2. Place a 15 in Con

3. Roll the other 4 stats in order, 4d6 drop lowest. Treat any roll less than 8 as 8, treat any roll higher than 16 as 16.

4. You may choose to replace or add to a stat depending on class:
Fighters may add +1 to Str or Con
Rogues add +1 to Dex or Con
Clerics may replace Str or Dex with a 14
Monks and Rangers may replace Wis with a 14
Paladins may replace Cha with a 14
Barbarians, Bards, Druids, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards can replace Dex with a 14

5. You may swap your main stat from step 1 with any other stat

6. If you choose not to replace a stat in step 4, you may roll an additional 4d6 drop lowest, and you can replace any stat with that roll(this roll can be higher than 16)

7. You may swap your Con with any other stat

Method II: random class generation

(In order)

1. Put 15 in Con

2. Roll the other 5 stats in order, 4d6 drop lowest, and treat any roll lower than 8 as an 8, and any roll above 16 as 16

3. If none of your rolled stats are above 14, replace your highest rolled stat with a 16(if there is a tie for your highest stat, you may either choose or randomly determine which becomes a 16)

4. Reroll your 2nd lowest stat(if there is a tie randomly determine which), and replace it with this new roll if it is higher(this roll can be higher than 16)

5. Based on your current stats, choose your class

6. You may choose to add to or replace a stat depending on class:
Fighters may add +1 to Str or Con
Rogues may add +1 to Dex or Con
Clerics may replace Str or Dex with a 14
Monks and Rangers may replace Wis with a 14
Paladins may replace Cha with a 14
Barbarians, Bards, Druids, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards can replace Dex with a 14

7. If you choose not to replace a stat in step 6, you may roll an additional 4d6 drop lowest, and you can replace any stat with that roll(this roll can be higher than 16)

8. You may swap your Con with any other stat

Ugh.
A combo of PB, Array, someone else's idea of what stats are "needed" for me to play various classes (or even just to play - start by putting 15 in con. Really? Why? And you don't consider dex based fighters?) & a system that tries to give the illusion that rolling dice matters.

If you were the DM & presented me with this at a table?
I'd just ask you if I could roll 3d6 in order. After all,{ I'm } fine with whatever that yields.
And I'll be done generating a character I like before others have fished reading your system....

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I find it odd that we trust the GM of a game to build entire worlds and generate every challenge the PCs face, but we don't trust them to look at generated characters and tell us if they are too high, too low, or just right for the game or compared to other characters.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Want your players to be similar to commoners? substract 6 or 7 points (but who would want to play that way :p )

What if you slap an earlier ASI in there?

What's the proper reduction in point-buy if you know at 2nd level there will be an ASI?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads