• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Random, balanced, fail proof 5E stat generation system

After reading the comments in the rolling stats thread, I was inspired to make a system for generating random but fair stats for 5E. I put a first draft of the system into that thread, but have since revised/simplified it. These were my goals:

1. Make it impossible to generate a "bad character" not up to par(defined as the array/pointbuy listed in the PHB)
2. Keep the game balance between a well rolled character and a poorly rolled one within tolerable limits
3. Make the results as random as possible while achieving the first two goals.
4. Allow for rolling up a specific class, or to randomly determine stats before choosing a class.

With this system, the array or point buy is more or less the floor. The average result would correspond to an above average 4D6 drop lowest character, and a strong result will be lower than than a strong 4d6 drop lowest character.

Method I: rolling up a specific class

(In order)

1. Place a 15 in your primary offensive stat: Str for Barbarian, Fighter, and Paladin, Dex for Monk, Ranger and Rogue, Int for Wizard, Wis for Cleric and Druid, and Cha for Bard, Sorcerer and Warlock

2. Place a 15 in Con

3. Roll the other 4 stats in order, 4d6 drop lowest. Treat any roll less than 8 as 8, treat any roll higher than 16 as 16.

4. You may choose to replace or add to a stat depending on class:
Fighters may add +1 to Str or Con
Rogues add +1 to Dex or Con
Clerics may replace Str or Dex with a 14
Monks and Rangers may replace Wis with a 14
Paladins may replace Cha with a 14
Barbarians, Bards, Druids, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards can replace Dex with a 14

5. You may swap your main stat from step 1 with any other stat

6. If you choose not to replace a stat in step 4, you may roll an additional 4d6 drop lowest, and you can replace any stat with that roll(this roll can be higher than 16)

7. You may swap your Con with any other stat

Method II: random class generation

(In order)

1. Put 15 in Con

2. Roll the other 5 stats in order, 4d6 drop lowest, and treat any roll lower than 8 as an 8, and any roll above 16 as 16

3. If none of your rolled stats are above 14, replace your highest rolled stat with a 16(if there is a tie for your highest stat, you may either choose or randomly determine which becomes a 16)

4. Reroll your 2nd lowest stat(if there is a tie randomly determine which), and replace it with this new roll if it is higher(this roll can be higher than 16)

5. Based on your current stats, choose your class

6. You may choose to add to or replace a stat depending on class:
Fighters may add +1 to Str or Con
Rogues may add +1 to Dex or Con
Clerics may replace Str or Dex with a 14
Monks and Rangers may replace Wis with a 14
Paladins may replace Cha with a 14
Barbarians, Bards, Druids, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards can replace Dex with a 14

7. If you choose not to replace a stat in step 6, you may roll an additional 4d6 drop lowest, and you can replace any stat with that roll(this roll can be higher than 16)

8. You may swap your Con with any other stat

Here are some characters generated with these systems:

Method I(Monks):

(I chose the Monk class because it has the most uniform stat demands of any class)

1. Str 12 Dex 15 Con 15 Int 9 Wis 15 Cha 12
2. Str 8 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 15 Cha 15
3. Str 12 Dex 17 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 15 Cha 12
4. Str 15 Dex 16 Con 15 Int 15 Wis 16 Cha 11
5. Str 11 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 15 Cha 15
6. Str 12 Dex 15 Con 15 Int 14 Wis 15 Cha 11
7. Str 12 Dex 15 Con 15 Int 13 Wis 15 Cha 14
8. Str 15 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 15 Cha 9
9. Str 15 Dex 16 Con 16 Int 15 Wis 16 Cha 13
10. Str 13 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 8 Wis 15 Cha 9

Method II(random class generation)

1. Barbarian Str 16 Dex 15 Con 16 Int 8 Wis 15 Cha 15
2. Bard Str 14 Dex 16 Con 15 Int 13 Wis 11 Cha 16
3. Cleric Str 15 Dex 10 Con 15 Int 10 Wis 15 Cha 15
4. Druid Str 13 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 13 Wis 16 Cha 8
5. Paladin Str 15 Dex 13 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 9 Cha 15
6. Rogue Str 13 Dex 17 Con 15 Int 16 Wis 14 Cha 15
7. Wizard Str 10 Dex 15 Con 15 Int 16 Wis 13 Cha 13
8. Warlock Str 13 Dex 15 Con 15 Int 12 Wis 13 Cha 15
9. Cleric Str 12 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 13 Wis 15 Cha 14
10. Sorcerer Str 12 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 14 Cha 15

Celebrim

Legend
To not fail, it requires that you feel pretty much equally good about playing every stat array it generates.

Also, I agree with FrogReaver. The system must not be complicated, and must feel very intuitive. If the system seems kludged or arbitrary, it fails. If the system requires more than about two sentences to explain, it fails.

To not fail, it requires that you feel pretty much equally good about playing every stat array it generates.

Also, I agree with FrogReaver. The system must not be complicated, and must feel very intuitive. If the system seems kludged or arbitrary, it fails. If the system requires more than about two sentences to explain, it fails.

I wouldn't say I'd feel absolutely good about each of those arrays, but the differences between the high and low rolled ones is within what I can tolerate.

Sorry about the double(triple) post, but I wanted to address two points I didn't in my previous reply.

There is nothing arbitrary about anything in the system I made. Every step has a very specific purpose. That being said, it is a bit complex(it's more complex on paper than it is in practice, it took me about 30-60 seconds to roll a character), but I suppose it's far less intuitive than roll 4d6, drop lowest, arrange to taste, then add fudging/cheating.

That's a lot of numbers, but the take-away I'm getting from this is that, in order to play an average character - the type of character who won't immediately die - everyone should have at least 14 in Constitution.

That can't be right.

feartheminotaur

First Post
I gotta agree that this has too many moving parts.

I applaud the effort, but there's nothing to it, compared to existing methods, that demands we buy in, no obvious and inherent advantage over the psychological barrier of "the way I've always done stat generation" and/or "I hate rolling/using presets for stats" (a sentiment you yourself voiced in the other thread).

Remove ads