• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random Encounter Generator UPDATED June 12th

Hambot

First Post
The Beetle is a decoy. You go after it, then you're surrounded and attacked by halflings that just outsmarted you with a trained Beetle.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Qty Name Type Exp
3 Needlefang Drake Swarm Level 2 Soldier 125
1 Hobgoblin Soldier Level 3 Soldier 150

The lord of the needlefangs.

Byronic

First Post
An "Easy" Level 6 encounter for 7 people. It's not a bad encounter at all really. The Green Dragon can freely use her breath behind the undead minions (since their immune to poison) while the spitting dragons pile on some unlucky person. The Dragons party stun ability might be a bit too scary though, since a stun in the beginning combined with the minions can be... ouch.

Makes you wonder why their together though? Maybe the Green Dragon knew the adventurers were coming and gave a Necromancer some dragon bile in trade for protection.

3 Spitting Drake Level 3 Artillery 150
1 Young Green Dragon Level 5 Solo Skirmisher 1000
8 Vampire Spawn Fleshripper Level 5 Minion 50

By the way, has anyone noticed that you seem to get more minions if you choose "easy"?

That's wonderful, a realy helpful utility for throwing together on the fly encounters, or even helping with inspiration for planned ones. Nice job!

One thing that may be useful for a future version: the option of first filtering by Origin (natural, fey, shadow etc) and/ or Type (animate, humanoid, beast etc). That way you can plan your Shadowfell, urban, or Feywild encounters more easily.

It's a shame the 4e MM does't have a breakdown of enemies by environment. An easy bunch of badguys to throw together as your party wades through the fetid swamp, or scales Mount Everfrost would be very useful.

Badgerish

First Post
thanks for this, it's an interesting tool for working out seeds.

I tried a few out and got some nice results (like riders and mounts), some silly results (2 minions... and a riding horse).

Before righting this, I requested a normal lvl 30 challange and rolled it once:

Qty Name Type Exp
1 Tarrasque Level 30 Solo Brute 95000

:eep: I think i'll stick to lower-level encounters for now. bookmarked it.

Asmor

First Post
I don't recommend it for high level encounters. It just doesn't work well, since there's relatively few high level opponents and of the ones there are elites and solos are disproportionately represented.

CarlosDosBrickos said:
One thing that may be useful for a future version: the option of first filtering by Origin (natural, fey, shadow etc) and/ or Type (animate, humanoid, beast etc). That way you can plan your Shadowfell, urban, or Feywild encounters more easily.

I really couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, in order for me to use that information, I need to readily have that information. There's 489 stat blocks in the Monster Manual. Getting the info I have was relatively simple, just a matter of copy-pasting from the tables in the back of the MM (with the PDF) and then doing some tricks to format them correctly. The rest of the info requires someone to actually enter it. :/

If you'd like to help, please see this post where I've started a spreadsheet full of info on the monsters in the MM, which you can help build.

FCWesel

First Post
Boarstorm said:
Edit: I also tried the adventure seed generator.

I got:

*The Nauseating Cabin of the Congregation of the Crimson Cavern*
*The Knavish Betrayal of the Undead's Axe*
*The Scorpion Dwarf and the Gargoyle Jester*

MrMyth

First Post
I fiddled around with some high level encounters, just because I was expecting them to be the hardest to make work, given the sparcity of high level monsters in the book - but I was overall impressed with a lot of the combinations it came up with!

This one, though, was rather funny:

1 Doresain the Ghoul King (Orcus) Level 27 Elite Skirmisher 22000
2 Doresain the Ghoul King (Orcus) Level 27 Elite Skirmisher 22000
4 Dragonborn Champion Level 26 Soldier 9000

Asmor

First Post
Yeah, the next thing I do is probably going to make it so that it can't generate the same monster twice.

Adding support for unique monsters is possible, though it might be a bit of a headache.

Anyways, I've been working on a new version which gives you more control over what you get. For example, you can make it so that minion groups are always 4-6, or you never get solo monsters.

http://www.asmor.com/scripts/4eEncounterGen/new.php

It seems to be stable, but I don't have time to test it fully right now. Would anyone mind hammering on it for a while and let me know how it holds up? I'll be back in a few hours to fix anything and then replace the real version with this one.

Remove ads