ranged grapple

Armadon63

First Post
Ok how the hell does ranged grappling work. I mean a monster that has 20 ft improved grab. how does that work. if it starts out at 20ft does the person thats grappled get to move up to him, is he automaticly up to him without movement. Is there any book that explains ranged grapple at all? man I really don't know how to put all these questions I have. hopefully someone understands me.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
From the Monster Manual, under Improved Grab:

"When a creature gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls the opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity."

-Hyp.

Armadon63

First Post
thanks hyp. now what if he pinned him at 20Ft. what happens then? like grapple then pin or does he immediatly go up to him as soon as the grapple hits and then pins when he is next to him.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Armadon63 said:
thanks hyp. now what if he pinned him at 20Ft. what happens then? like grapple then pin or does he immediatly go up to him as soon as the grapple hits and then pins when he is next to him.

You can't pin a creature unless you are already grappling them... and when you grapple them with improved grab, they move into your square. (Without improved grab, you move into their square... so when the ogre grapples you from ten feet away, he covers that intervening space into your square if the grapple succeeds.)

-Hyp.

Infiniti2000

First Post
If a creature with improved grab takes the -20 penalty, does it still pull the opponent into its space? The improved grab special ability doesn't say otherwise, so I guess it does. But, that leaves us with a slight conflict in that you can't inhabit the same space as another creature. Or, is this is unwritten implicit exception?

moritheil

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
You can't pin a creature unless you are already grappling them...

-Hyp.

Unless you have Ranged Pin, right? (The feat that allows you to, say, shoot an arrow through someone's clothes and pin them from a distance.)

Bad Paper

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
You can't pin a creature unless you are already grappling them... and when you grapple them with improved grab, they move into your square. (Without improved grab, you move into their square... so when the ogre grapples you from ten feet away, he covers that intervening space into your square if the grapple succeeds.)
When the ogre does that, does that count against his movement for the round? Does he provoke attacks of opportunity from foes?

Remove ads