ranged grapple

Bad Paper

First Post
Thanks. Is this movement forced? If an ogre is grappling a dwarf, does the ogre have to move to include the dwarf in one of his squares, or can the ogre simply move next to the dwarf (10' reach and all that)?

He doesn't need to move, but if he doesn't, he is no longer grappling.

He must move into the dwarf's square.

SRD said:
Step 4: Maintain Grapple. To maintain the grapple for later rounds, you must move into the target’s space. (This movement is free and doesn’t count as part of your movement in the round.)

Moving, as normal, provokes attacks of opportunity from threatening opponents, but not from your target.

If you can’t move into your target’s space, you can’t maintain the grapple and must immediately let go of the target. To grapple again, you must begin at Step 1.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
He must move into the dwarf's square.
The interesting side effect of this: does the ogre need to squeeze into the dwarf's square, or can he merely move over the dwarf's square? I think the 'into' part of that implies that the ogre would need to squeeze, but that's not the way I would run it.

IcyCool

First Post
Hmmm... suddenly I'm having thoughts of a dagger-fighting Scout grappler.

DM: "He hit and with improve grab pulls you 10ft into his square."

PC: "Sweet! Now I get my skirmish damage in a grapple!"

Merely moves over, and they now share the ogre's spaces.

If the dwarf were in a location in which the ogre would need to squeeze, then he'd squeeze, but otherwise he does not need to.

IcyCool said:
Hmmm... suddenly I'm having thoughts of a dagger-fighting Scout grappler.

DM: "He hit and with improve grab pulls you 10ft into his square."

PC: "Sweet! Now I get my skirmish damage in a grapple!"

Wouldn't work, generally.

The scout only gets skirmish damage on his own turn after he's moved 10' from his starting location. The only way he'd get moved on his own turn is if he was grappled as an AoO or readied action by a creature with Improved Grab.

Even then, he'd only get one round's worth of attacks with his bonus.

Remove ads