• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranged magical properties - do they apply in melee?

Amadeus Windfall

First Post
I'm building a hybrid melee/ranged Ranger right now, dual-wielding Tratnyrs. Since they're ranged weapons, they're eligible to have magical properties for ranged weapons (in this case, Prime Shot Weapon). If I use a Tratnyr with a ranged property in melee, can I use the property's effect, or does it only apply when at range?

chitzk0i

Explorer
Tratnyrs are not ranged weapons. They are melee weapons with the heavy thrown keyword, which means you can use it for a ranged attack. That does not allow you to enchant them with a property that specifies "Any Ranged".

Mort_Q

First Post
The Character Builder lets you pick thrown weapons for Any Ranged enchantments.

That's correct.

PH1 said:
“Any ranged” includes projectile weapons and weapons with the heavy thrown or the light thrown property.

A quick glance at the PH1 shows that the items listed as "Any Ranged" specify ranged in their property or power write-ups.

Did you have a specific item in mind?

Amadeus Windfall

First Post
I was going for Prime Shot, which says "You deal +2 damage if no ally is closer to the target than you are." It seems downright perfect for thrown weapons, but if it only works at range then it's not as great.

Mort_Q

First Post
I was going for Prime Shot, which says "You deal +2 damage if no ally is closer to the target than you are." It seems downright perfect for thrown weapons, but if it only works at range then it's not as great.

RAW, it would work both melee and ranged. Other "any ranged" item properties and powers make the point of specifying, as I already stated, ranged or basic ranged only. Prime Shot doesn't... and there is no errata on it... so one could presume that that is also RAI.

The real question is... if you are flanking, is your ally closer or not? :erm:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads