• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ranged sunder or disarm?

fl8m

First Post
Can you attempt a disarm or sunder action with a ranged weapon? I noticed in the players handbook it describes both as melee attacks, but i'm sure i saw rules or a feat for ranged variations somewhere.

If you can make these types of attacks, can you use a spell with an attack roll to accomplish it?

for some reason the idea of using True Strike then a spell such as Scorching Ray to destroy the barbarians greataxe or at least knock it out of his hand sounds very cool :)

Pinotage

Explorer
fl8m said:
Can you attempt a disarm or sunder action with a ranged weapon? I noticed in the players handbook it describes both as melee attacks, but i'm sure i saw rules or a feat for ranged variations somewhere.

If you can make these types of attacks, can you use a spell with an attack roll to accomplish it?

for some reason the idea of using True Strike then a spell such as Scorching Ray to destroy the barbarians greataxe or at least knock it out of his hand sounds very cool :)

Complete Warrior has feats for Ranged Sunder and Ranged Disarm. The core rules don't mention whether you can use a spell to do it or not, so I'd say largely DMs call. Since objects mostly resist some types of elemental energy quite well, I'd be tempted to allow it.

Pinotage

moritheil

First Post
You can use a ray spell to attack a weapon, just as you can use it to score a sneak attack or critical hit, because it counts as a weapon. Of course, your DM may rule that you need the Ranged Sunder feat.

This is precisely the reason magic missiles are NOT rays and specifically do not work on objects. Because if they did, people would just sunder weapons left and right with magic missiles (which don't miss and have decent range).

fl8m said:

Remove ads