• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger Favored Enemy

Joust

First Post
Don't have my books with me, though I don't know if they answer the question very well anyway.

When a Ranger selects a favored enemy, does he pick a "group" like Abberation? or does he pick a single, particular Abberation?

Pevishan

First Post
It does say.

The only two that you pick a more specific enemy is Humaniod and Outsider. With those two you need to select a sub-type.

graydoom

First Post
You pick a group, except for Humanoid and Outsider. Since those two groups encompass so much, you have to choose a sub-group (like Goblinoid or Devil) instead of the whole group.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Related Queshtun

Staldin*Freefall said:
Could a ranger choose a subtype of outsider like (evil) or (fire)? (goblinoid) and (reptilian) are designated in such a way as well.

If a player wanted to do this, I'd allow it; but it isn't required by the rules. I think it would be quite a reasonable house rule, actually. Why should a lawful good ranger get bonuses to kill an astral deva?

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Below is the list of "types" given for a Bane weapon or a Slaying arrow:
01-05 Aberrations
06-08 Animals
09-13 Beasts
14-20 Constructs
21-25 Dragons
26-30 Elementals
31-35 Fey
36-40 Giants
41-45 Magical beasts
46-50 Monstrous humanoids
51-53 Oozes
54-58 Outsiders, chaotic
59-65 Outsiders, evil
66-70 Outsiders, good
71-75 Outsiders, lawful
76-77 Plants
78-85 Shapechangers
86-92 Undead
93-94 Vermin
95-100 Humanoids (choose subtype)

And for Ranger's we have:
Aberrations
Animals
Beasts
Constructs
Dragons
Elementals
Fey
Giants
Humanoid type
Magical beasts
Oozes
Outsider type
Plants
Shapechangers
Undead
Vermin
So I would say that "Outsiders(evil)" is a perfectly valid choice for a ranger enemy.

I asked because Outsider(evil) is a considerably broader range than Devils or Demons. I won't judge whether this increases the ranger's effectives for good or bad.

Remove ads