Ranger/Rogue (XGE subs) advice please

James Brandon

First Post
Hey folks! I am what I consider a "seasoned" D&D player, but my seasoning happened 20+ years ago with 2nd Edition and a little later with twinking characters for Neverwinter Nights (which I believe was 3.5.) I'm looking for some insight specifically with the 5e metagame and specifically for use in Adventurer's League games where the DM will be, mostly, following scripted stories and will only have so much leeway to "customize" things to the characters in front of them.

I have envisioned and created a Ranger which, with AL, will be starting at level 1. My current plan is to go to Ranger 5, then start my 5 level dip in to Rogue before going back to Ranger for the rest of the character's useful lifespan. The character will be archery focused, get me 3d6 sneak attack bonus (which based on my interpretation of the RAW I should be able to use on most attacks), a passive damage bonus from one of two ranger archetypes, and a fair amount of non-combat utility along with some healing thrown in for good measure. I do, however, have a couple of questions that only experience that I don't have can really answer for me so I'm hoping to get some help.

1) I will be taking the "Scout" (XGE) archetype for Rogue when I get to it... that gives me a free survival proficiency but it won't be until character level 8. How often does survival actually come up during Adventurer's League type play (published adventures only)? Can I afford to not take it as one of my starting Ranger proficiencies so I can get the freebie, or should I just suck it up and take the free expertise from the Scout subclass when I get to it?

2) This one's more of a discussion than a black and white question, but here goes: Horizon Walker vs Monster Slayer. I currently have a reference to "fiend" in the backstory, and prefer the "flavor" of Horizon Walker but I could just as easily erase "fiend" and insert "monster" there based on the following hinge point:
Horizon Walker's Planar Warrior converts one Attack per turn's damage to Force and adds 1d8 to it (this grows to 2d8 eventually, but that won't be until character level 16 for me.. not a consideration.) Combined with sneak attack damage, etc, this could be devastating. The "downsides" are that the range is limited to 30' and it costs a Bonus Action every turn. The range limitation doesn't bother me that much, historically, most encounters wind up at melee range relatively quick anyway and at higher levels I will have a lot of mobility options. The real kicker is the Bonus Action, each turn I will need to make a decision as to whether to use this ability (which I want to use as often as possible) or not, and if so, forego other possible bonuses.
Monster Slayer's Slayer's Prey ability uses a bonus action once to "target" a creature and is free once per turn until you need to switch creatures again, but, it only adds a flat 1d6 to the damage. From where I sit, the Horizon Walker's ability is clearly superior, but I'm not sure how often I might regret not having a Bonus Action for something else?

3) Ability Scores, Feats and Saves: With Wood Elf (not really up for debate because of roleplay vs roll play) I wound up with 10 16 14 14 12 10 starting stats. The "plan" was snagging +2 dex at level 4 and 9 (Rogue 4) and then, if the character lives that long and is still gaining enough XP to advance, bumping CON or something later. In reading though it sounds like a lot of people emphasize the importance of the CON save so I was thinking about maybe dropping CHA to 8 (the character really shouldn't be likable anyway) and bumping CON to 15, then taking Resiliant: CON at 4, then working on DEX from there. Yes, I lose +1 initiative, attack and damage for another 4 levels that way... but I suspect that the consequences of a failed CON save could be more dire than the occasional miss (I honestly don't recall missing by 1 more than a handful of times in hundreds of hours of 2nd Ed :p) Thoughts?

4) Spells: The spell choices seem fairly obvious to me. I'm taking Goodberry for flavor and because there's that one guy that DMs sometimes that looks at your character sheet to see if you have rations written down (hell, I've done it when DMing :p) Hunter's Mark is a gimme, Cure Wounds, also, because I feel like i have to. Healing Spirit seems to provide a ridiculous amount of healing, though I suspect it would be used mostly out of combat. Conjure Barrage ... flavor and some otherwise lacking AOE. The rest I figured would probably be better handled by other casters, but I'd appreciate advice here as well.

5) Proficiencies, again: I will wind up with Acrobatics, Insight, Investigation, Nature, Perception, Persuasion (based on a background choice that's really not up for debate, roleplay vs roll play and all), Stealth, Survival and (depending on the answer to #1) maybe Athletics with expertise in Investigation, Perception, Nature and Survival by level 10. I can swap the expertise in Investigation and Perception as they were chosen at Rogue 1. I can, of course, think of a million situations where other proficiencies may be useful, but these seem "safe." Anything huge I'm missing?
I appreciate any time and energy people put in to helping me out. This is all crap I'm sure I'll know inside and out a year from now, but since we didn't have a lot of web sites I could have thousands of people answer questions on during my last foray in to D&D I figured I'd take advantage of technology and shorten the learning curve a bit!

Voort

Explorer
From where I sit, the Horizon Walker's ability is clearly superior, but I'm not sure how often I might regret not having a Bonus Action for something else?

More than you’d think. One of the Rogue’s strongest abilities is Cunning Action at 2nd level. Bonus action Dash, Disengage, or Hide gives all kinds of battle options. With the wood elf’s racial stealth ability, hiding as a bonus action is potent.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Ranged, definitely ... thought I said that in there somewhere, I'll add if I didn't.

If ranged then try to take something that doesn't require a bonus action.

You will be using bonus action on hunters mark quite a bit. When you aren't doing that then you will be using it to disengage or to hide for advantage on an attack. I'd recommend you consider gloom stalker. Getting the extra attack on turn 1 of each encounter will be very nice. Being able to sometimes get advantage on your attacks because it's dark will be amazing too.

I really think you will have way to much competing for that bonus action if you take horizon walker or monster hunter. Even the basic PHB hunter may actually work better for you than those options.

James Brandon

First Post
Not the answers I wanted, but the ones I was afraid of, which is why I thought I'd ask :) What about the survival thing? I'm hoping that's just personal preference, but the only experience I have to draw on is crap like rope use and riding from 2nd ed where if you didn't have them sometimes you were just hosed... is it like that for stuff like survival in 5e?

mellored

Legend
Not the answers I wanted, but the ones I was afraid of, which is why I thought I'd ask :) What about the survival thing? I'm hoping that's just personal preference, but the only experience I have to draw on is crap like rope use and riding from 2nd ed where if you didn't have them sometimes you were just hosed... is it like that for stuff like survival in 5e?
Unless you try and make something like a Int/Cha monk, there is no bad race/class/sub-class combo in 5e. There's just great and not-great-but-still-ok (and beastmaster ranger, which is barely-ok).
A halfling barbarian and half-orc wizards are playable. Just not optimal.
So if you like some flavor, go for it.

And for skills, they don't scale the same. 5e keeps numbers much closer together; most AC's and DC's are between 10 to 20.

But yea, what they said. You only get 1 bonus action, and cunning action is great.

FrogReaver

A decent wisdom early and you will have a chance to make nearly any nature or survival check the DM throws at you. Proficiency early is only a +2 or +3 bonus anyways and for an ability check that doesn't come up all the time you'll hardly notice the difference. Later once it gets to +4 or +5 proficiency starts mattering a lot more.

In other words you should be fine picking those skills up later as from an optimization standpoint it isn't a big deal.

FrogReaver

I really like the gloom stalker flavor for a rogue multiclass....

Also Hunter from the regular PHB makes a great ranger type to multiclass with rogue. Just go more rogue levels later instead of ranger ones.

FrogReaver

Personally for a ranged ranger I wouldn't worry as much about con saves. If you do pick them up do so way later when proficiency bonus has increased enough to make it really worthwhile.

Remove ads