• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger: Scout Preview up!

Reaper Steve

Explorer
I like it!
For one, it's not dual-wielding bastard swords.
Secondly, it's all but empirically confirmed that a design goal of Essentials was to get rid of player marks (and mark-like abilities, such as Quarry and Curse.) Friday's Warlock preview should drive the final nail...

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
I really like the ranger preview. In the wolf stance this guy is going to be a flitting all over the battle field. Question is yes no dailies, but with 2 weapon + 2 dex mod damage per round with encounter powerstrike and the really nasty stances. I worry that this one outshines the original ranger. In flavour and power.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
I worry that this one outshines the original ranger. In flavour and power.

[Conspiracy theory] I suspect that may be intentional, with pretty much all the Essentials classes. I think they want players to prefer the Essentials versions over the 'New Coke 4E' versions (as I do in every case so far.) If that becomes the case, then when (surprisingly) the market data shows that the target audience doesn't really use the PHB versions of those classes any more, they can use that research as leverage for not supporting them any longer. Genius, really! [/conspiracy theory]

If this comes to pass, it will be the second time I've seen a self-fulfilling prophecy created and come to pass. I'm jealous of the cleverness!

(The first being: a girl at work started the rumor that she was next to be promoted to higher responsibility. When a new big boss took over, he heard the rumor and assumed it to be something in motion from previous big boss, so he promoted her when the next opening came along. There's a lesson to be learned here, people!)

Reaper Steve

Explorer
I'm liking the idea of crossing the streams with Two-Weapon Style:
- a battleaxe/short sword becomes +3 attack doing 1d10
- a longsword/handaxe combo results in +3 attack doing 1d8+2 damage, plus you can throw the handaxe! (hoping for an un-nerfed Throw and Stab)

Of course, staying in the same family will focus attack bonus or focus damage:
- Longsword/short sword would be +4 attack for 1d8
- Battleaxe/handaxe would be +2 attack for 1d10+2

Since dual weapon attack requires the first attack to hit, I'd be reluctant to go the battleaxe route.

Longsword/hand axe is very appealing to me, both mechanically, and because I've wanted to like my Everfrost Ranger mini ever since he came out a couple years back, but I could never get past his handlebar moustache. The 'stache is now forgiven.

Obryn

Hero
Did Twin strike just get better...an additional +8 damage a turn.
It's contingent upon hitting first, so ... I'm leaning towards No. It's also tougher to use two big weapons, near as I can see.

EDIT: No quarry feature cuts down on the damage, too.

-O

Ventnor

First Post
Actually, I think that Scouts who go with a light blade in the off-hand may end up going with a Rapier as the main weapon.

Light Blade Expertise is a really nice feat, after all.

mageta80

First Post
Very nice twist of Twin Strike. More surges. No quarry. Stances.

I like it.

Problem (Feature?): per RAW you cannot use Power Strike & Dual Weapon Attack in the same turn.

Free attacks restriction... Weird :confused:

Remove ads