• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger > Warlock

loisel

First Post
I've rolled two toons, one infernal lock (with max damage I could do) and one archer ranger. Dual wield rangers have higher damage, but to make the comparison fair, I wanted ranged attacks on both.

Of course the devil is in the details, but here are some quick numbers. At level 10, encounter powers give...

Lock damage is 9-26, plus a cookie.
Ranger damage is 11-42, plus a cookie.

Looking at dailies, assuming everything hits and, for the max number, that you get two rounds of ongoing:

Lock damage is 2-48 plus a cookie.
Ranger damage is 12-78 plus a cookie.

"A cookie" means there's some effect aside from damage. Lock cookies tend to be slightly better (but not always) than Ranger cookies.

The characters are here:
Ranger http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=228356
Warlock http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=228209

So sad, I wanted to play a lock that kicks ass. :(

ShockMeSane

First Post
I think a Ranger would have a difficult time keeping up with Doom of Delban over the course of a big battle. But then again, it is a level 29 ability =/

loisel

First Post
ShockMeSane said:
I think a Ranger would have a difficult time keeping up with Doom of Delban over the course of a big battle. But then again, it is a level 29 ability =/

Possible, but I have the depressing impression that a Ranger could keep up with at-wills and a couple of encounter powers...

Ten

First Post
Did you take into consideration actually hitting? For the most part, all ranger attacks target AC, which will almost always be quite a bit higher than every other defense. Speaking of other defenses, your warlock can target all 3 of them, giving him not only a better chance to hit with all of them but freedom to, more or less, target the weakspot.

loisel

First Post
Ten said:
Did you take into consideration actually hitting? For the most part, all ranger attacks target AC, which will almost always be quite a bit higher than every other defense. Speaking of other defenses, your warlock can target all 3 of them, giving him not only a better chance to hit with all of them but freedom to, more or less, target the weakspot.

If you have these two characters fight one another, the lock needs a 12 to hit and the ranger needs a 6 to hit.

This lock targets mostly reflex, which is often not much lower than AC. He's got one encounter power (Diabolic Grasp) which targets Fort, which is the Ranger's weakest point. For that one power, the lock needs a 6 to hit.

I think this idea that AC is harder to hit is compensated by the proficiency bonus (and in some cases, by further bonuses that only apply to weapons).

loisel

First Post
Incenjucar said:
So how are the fear effects and energy damage and teleports the ranger gets.

It's true that the ranger deals plain damage, which cannot be resisted by any monster in the MM, while the lock deals mostly fire damage, which some large fraction of monsters is either immune to, or highly resistant (20-30).

The lock is infernal and doesn't get any teleports. The ranger gets lots of attack+shift powers, of course, because the Ranger is a striker. This is part of the "cookies" I mention. This infernal lock has no fear effects either.

The lock has a couple of powers that end up immobilizing the enemy. I think the ranger has only one of those. The flavor text for those powers may be flashier for the lock, but I think you can invent new flashy flavor text for your ranger if that's what you want.

Blackeagle

First Post
loisel said:
If you have these two characters fight one another, the lock needs a 12 to hit and the ranger needs a 6 to hit.

Fighting each other isn't a very good metric. How do they stack up against level appropriate monsters?

Remove ads