D&D 5E Rant About Patience

Stalker0

Legend
At this moment right now, I can't agree with the "not enough to play" argument.

With the basic rules online, I have classes to use, magic items to give out, and monsters to fight....for free. You can make a very full campaign out of those basic tools. Now sure there is plenty more that I "want", but "need"...I don't see it.

Having a product schedule would probably soothe people's impatience.

We have a product schedule, though - click the "D&D 5E Release Schedule" button to the right of the EnWorld logo up top! The Monster Manual comes out on September 30th, Rise of Tiamat comes out on October 21st, the Dungeon Master's Guide comes out November 18th, and the DM's Screen is coming January 20th. Oh, and Princes of the Apocalypse and the accompanying Adventurer's Handbook will be out next March.

That's literally all the products that are in the pipeline at the moment - Mearls has mentioned that they're planning the next big adventure after Princes of the Apocalypse, but they're not far enough along in the process to announce what it will be yet.

We have a product schedule, though - click the "D&D 5E Release Schedule" button to the right of the EnWorld logo up top!
You are absolutely right - I apologize. We do have a product schedule. Since I'm not interested in modules, though, the product schedule is just made up of the MM and the DMG, with no perspective of what to expect beyond that - and that's frustrating. It's my problem, though, not anyone else's.

mips42

Adventurer
Or I could be playing a full game that I don't have to wait on. I don't want to play a partial game. I don't want to use premade characters or just use the small selection of monsters.
For all the stupid gamer fallacies that the internet has created there needs to be one for people saying "well, you can just make it up yourself." That''s one of the most useless statements. If I wanted to make it up I would't be impatient for 5e because I wouldn't need it or any other game. I buy games because I don't have the time to create it all myself. I buy games because unlike some gamers I admit the professionals usually do it better then I do. I buy games because the creativity and ideas other writers come up with are different then what I could.

Yes, you could be playing a full game that you don't have to wait on, therefore the question becomes why are you not doing so?
You don't want to use premade characters or just use the small selection of monsters. Fine, that is a choice; your choice. That does not mean that there is not enough to play, only that there is not what you consider a full game.
So saying "well, you can just make it up yourself" is "a stupid gamer fallacy"? Where do you thing RPGs came from in the first place? It was gamers, just like you or I, taking existing games and making up rules to make the game work differently than it had before. D&D was born from historical war gaming simulations until someone decided that they wanted to have a druidic priest on the battlefield that could be rid of elephant troops by casting a spell. They weren't professional game designers. They were people, just like us.
Playing a game with less-than-fully-formed-rules is a choice. If you've ever participated in a closed or public beta of a video game, your played with less-than-fully-formed-rules. this is a choice. One that many gamers have made in the past and one that will continue to be made in the future, not just for 5e for for many, many games.
Do professional game designers do a better job overall in designing games than I do. Yes. Does that mean that I should stop creating my own adventures? Does that mean that the Forgotten Realms is somehow inherently better than all the home-made worlds out there (remembering that FR WAS a home-made world)? Does that mean that you choose not to create your own and, therefore, those that do are somehow inferior? My opinion is no.
My choices and opinions are mine, for good or bad. I choose to be happy with what I have rather than unhappy about what I don't have. I choose to use what I have, what I know, what I can intuit (and some conversion tools made by others) to create adventures for myself and others to play so that I can enjoy the game that is, rather than complain about the game that is not.
Your opinions are yours and I respect your right to have them. My opinions are different.

Be well and play on.

The wait doesn't bother me. My group is playing a 3.5E RttToEE campaign at the moment, so that will keep us busy for the next few months at least. By then the MM and DMG will have been released.

If we didn't have that going I imagine either myself or the other DM in the group would have started running the Lost Mines of Phandelver soon after it came out and then moved on to HotDQ once that was done.

Would the MM and DMG be nice to have? Definitely. However, I've been playing long enough now that I'm confident that I could run a campaign without them.

Iosue

Legend
If WotC was using the old Core Three model, and all that was out was the PHB and the Starter Set, I'd be impatient for the MM and DMG. But since the 5e PHB, MM, and DMG are all just expansions on the Basic Rules, and the Basic Rules have chargen, monsters, and magic items, I'm not jonesing for anything. I played 11 hours of 5e yesterday. There's plenty more that I want and am looking forward to, but as far as I can see, 5e is out and fully playable. Everything else is sweet, delicious gravy.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I'm managing for now but it feels kind of wrong to be designing adventures without the Monster Manual open in front of me. There is enough material to make do, however, so I can hold on without too much stress.

Which is not to say I entirely *understand* WotC's scheduling...I mean, we know the DM's screen is ready to go (it was used on video at both PAX and the recent Phandelver session), so why hold onto it until January?

Remove ads