• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rapid Spell and Nature's Ally

mcgeedis

First Post
If I were to have the Rapid Spell feat (metamagic feat that decreases the casting time for spells at +1 spell level adjustment, so a Full Round casting time = 1 Standard Action), and say I wanted to spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally II as a 3rd level spell as a standard action. Can I do that without memorizing it ahead of time? Or do I have to have a 2nd level spell already memorized as a 3rd level Rapid Spell and sacrifice that one to spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally II?

The PHB references that you can use metamagic for spontaneous spells, but they take a full round action to cast. So does Rapid Spell overturn this by the feat's nature?

Infiniti2000

First Post
Rapid Spell does not overturn that restriction. It has an explicit statement that it cannot only be applied to spontaneous spells with an original casting time of greater than 1 round.

Last edited:

mcgeedis

First Post
So, Rapid Spell with spontaneous casting of a full round action spell casting time is pointless? In order use it with Summon Nature's Ally, do I need to memorize it then?

Infiniti2000

First Post
It's worse than pointless. It's explicitly not possible. To use Rapid Spell, you have to prepare those SNA spells.

Beleive me when I say that that will be plenty, especially if you have augment summoning and/or similar types of effects.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Infiniti2000 said:
Rapid Spell does not overturn that restriction. It has an explicit statement that it cannot only be applied to spontaneous spells with an original casting time of greater than 1 round.

Er... that's not right - spontaneously, it can only be applied to long spells.

"This feat can be applied to a spell cast spontaneously as long as its original casting time was longer than 1 full round."

-Hyp.

glass

(he, him)
mcgeedis said:
So, Rapid Spell with spontaneous casting of a full round action spell casting time is pointless? In order use it with Summon Nature's Ally, do I need to memorize it then?
Leaving asside the question of whether or not it actually works (because I don't know), I'll just note that reducing a full-round spell to a full-round action is not pointless.

glass.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Er... that's not right - spontaneously, it can only be applied to long spells.

"This feat can be applied to a spell cast spontaneously as long as its original casting time was longer than 1 full round."

-Hyp.
LOL! I knew I made a typo, but I corrected the wrong thing. :D

aland

First Post
The Rapid Spell feat states that a rapid spell with casting time measured by rounds could be cast in full round, and the casting time of SNA X is 1 round that is measured by rounds (1 round, 2 rounds, etc.). So acording to rhe rule, if Rapid spell is applied to a spontaneously cast SNA x, the spell would require a full round action, and the ally appears at the end of your turn instead of the beginning of the next turn, which makes summons better and safer.

In the Complete Mage, however, I found something very controversial. On page 27, there is a statement saying "Rapid Spell (Complete Divine): Don't underestimate the value of reducing that 1-round casting time to a standard action." Since 1-round casting time is totally different from full-round casting, I got rather confused ever since I read that part. So my question is, what kind of casting time exactly would a spontaneously cast SNA X require, a standard action, or a full-round action?

akbearfoot

First Post
It takes a full round action.....Note that that is not the same thing as 1 full round.

As a full round action, you get to cast the spell, and take a 5 foot step(or not). The critters you summon appear at the end of your turn and act right after you do. Unless someone is right next to you as you cast it, there is no chance for someone to move up and interrupt your spell.

Normally, it takes 1 full round to cast a summon spell, which means you have to keep casting the spell AFTER you turn is complete, and it finished just before you next turn. It gives people a chance to move up and hit you to interrupt you etc.

aland

First Post
Thanks, but actually I know the difference between the "1 round" and "full round". What confuses me is the sentence appears in Complete Mage: "Rapid Spell (Complete Divine): Don't underestimate the value of reducing that 1-round casting time to a standard action."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads