• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rarer Magic

Psimancer

First Post
Inspired by another thread, what do you do when you want magic less common than the standard d20 D&D in your game?

The reasons may be varied; you want to replicate the feel of a particular novel or movie, for example…

(I don’t want to start a ‘…the commonality of magic is fine just the way it is…’ thread, I just want to know your house rules.)

I’ll start; Caster Level Check – although it doesn’t make magic rarer per se, it does make it a (relatively) less attractive option. The ‘10’ in the DC can be further tweaked up and down depending on just how rare you want the magic:

Caster Level Check

Every time a character casts a spell they must make a caster level check versus a DC of 10 + spell level.

On a successful caster level check, the spell is cast; the associated spell slot is expended and material components are consumed.

On a failed check, neither the spell slot nor material components are utilised, just the character’s time.

At a DM’s option, on the roll of 1, a mishap may occur.

bossloki

First Post
Have you checked out the incantation system in Urban Arcana (also in Unearthen Arcana)?

I've tried to talk my group into trying in instead of the traditional D&D system. Basically anyone can learn an invocation, but they require a certain amount of knowledge (skills) to cast. They also require a lot more time to use. To me that seems to fit most of what I've seen in fantasy literature (except for the "D&D" books).

Imret

First Post
Depending on your metaphysical laws, one or more of the following might work.

Characters must purchase a feat to be capable of casting spells. If you want to limit it even further, give it prereqs that require a certain level...base Will save +3 or better, for example. Possibly a chain of spellcasting feats for spells up to 3rd/6th/9th level spells.

Spellcasters must multiclass - no more than half their levels any one spellcasting class, or even no more than half their levels in spellcasting classes, total. There would still be casters, but nobody has higher than 5th level spells.

Spellcasting results in the accumulation of Taint (similar to the OA/UA concept); say, 1 point per spell level if the caster fails a Will save, or upon casting a spell if you want it much rarer. A mortal body can only absorb so much Taint before collapsing under the otherworldly strain, of course - the accumulation of heavy Taint leads to madness, mutation, and death. Magic under this variant is at best alien and its practitioners viewed with suspicion, at worst a power from the deepest Hells that destroys those who would dabble in it if the Church doesn't get them first.

For every two levels a character takes in a spell-casting class, he loses a point from any of his attributes other than his primary spellcasting attribute. Magic under this variant is addictive and corrupting, causing any dedicated spellcaster to neglect all other aspects of his life; its practitioners are strange and obsessive, locked in remote towers while they pursue their research. Lichdom could be far more common as more and more casters seek to cheat death in order to learn greater secrets.

While not corruptive, spellcasting takes something out of the caster's very essence; each spell costs 10 x (spell level squared) XP.

Psimancer

First Post
bossloki said:
Have you checked out the incantation system in Urban Arcana (also in Unearthen Arcana)?
Yeah, I really liked that when I read it in Unearthed; it is a good alternate magic system.

Imret said:
Characters must purchase a feat to be capable of casting spells…
A very good option – I was actually thing of something along these lines last night, possibly making it a 1st level only feat, else substantial time out of game or special circumstance (touched by a god, exposure to raw magical energy, etc) is required.

Imret said:
While not corruptive, spellcasting takes something out of the caster's very essence; each spell costs 10 x (spell level squared) XP.
Good call... Or even just lethal or non-lethal damage. Maybe every time you cast a spell you must pay the spell level in Hit Points. Not a major hindrance, but may work well in conjunction with something else.

worldeater

First Post
Modification of the spell component rules is an option. In my experience, most DMs and players only worry about expensive or rare spell components. If you wanted to make magic more difficult or rare, make the components required for spellcasting more rare.

One thing that I'm not so thrilled about is the idea that spellcasting costs XP. The problem is that the wizard is effectively being penalized for performing his primary function. Instead of getting better at magic by casting spells, he actually gets worse.

Regards,
WorldEater

Imret

First Post
worldeater said:
One thing that I'm not so thrilled about is the idea that spellcasting costs XP. The problem is that the wizard is effectively being penalized for performing his primary function. Instead of getting better at magic by casting spells, he actually gets worse.

That's a perfectly valid point, and one I was considering overnight after posting this. It would probably require re-working the casting classes a little so they have another, more primary function, while spellcasting is their "ace in the hole", so to speak. Wizards become more like sages (i.e. more skill points, more useful knowledge skills), clerics become better non-magical healers (i.e. Heal does more)....etc.

Rarely, IMO, does only one change make a rarer-magic world; the system balances itself, as best it can, on a razor's edge with regards to spellcasting and magic, and reducing that amount of magic can require a lot of work. A rarer magic world has less magic items, which can make characters less powerful at high level than they otherwise would be, which requires either compensating them or reducing the power of monsters unless you're running a high-fatality game.

Alternately, a concept that just struck me while writing this...take all the spell lists and devise about a dozen shorter, themed spell lists for the bard. Replace bardic "music" with, say...minor displays of arcane power with the same effect (fascinating, guiding his allies at their tasks), and require the bard to select one of the lists. Call the bard a "mage" and make it the only available spellcasting class.

Remove ads