• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate Spider-Man 2 [No Spoilers]

Rate Spider-Man 2 on a scale of 1-10

Kai Lord

Hero
Wow. Awesome. I loved it, but I'm not sure I liked it better than the first. Doctor Octopus, holy crap, hands down the best performance by an actor playing a villain in any superhero movie ever. No contest.

It seriously blew me away, but I don't think anything in this movie surpassed the "iconic" moments of the first film (the upside down kiss, MJ on the bridge, etc.) And I thought the finale with the Green Goblin was more cinematic and satisfying than Doc Ock's.

But they did move the story forward, and in spectacular fashion. The scene from the trailer with MJ and Peter in the cafe (I won't spoil it if you don't know what I'm talking about) was executed perfectly.

And "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head".... Classic! Just an awesome all around movie, and I'm already anticipating the story they'll obviously tell in the third film more than I did for this one. To date, the best superhero sequel ever made, by far. Even though its derived from an ongoing comic, the best film stories are those that have an end and I sincerely hope they close it out after #3, and oh what a movie it looks like that will be.... :D

EDIT: Oh and in case any parents are wondering, this is NOT a movie to take little kids to. There's a scene that takes place in a hospital that would have given me nightmares for weeks. Seriously.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Kai Lord said:
Doctor Octopus, holy crap, hands down the best performance by an actor playing a villain in any superhero movie ever. No contest.

I can't get over the fact that Alfred Molina played Satipo in Raiders of the Lost Arc. "Throw me the idol, and I'll throw you the web shooters." :)

Piratecat said:
I can't get over the fact that Alfred Molina played Satipo in Raiders of the Lost Arc. "Throw me the idol, and I'll throw you the web shooters." :)
Hehehe, yeah. Part of me wanted him to say something like that.

And Kai Lord...your are sure has heck right about that hospital scene. It was creepy even if you're NOT a kid.

idarii

First Post
My thoughts, copied and pasted from elsewhere.

I just got back from a midnight show, and I wanted to come on and post that what you've heard is true- the movie's fantastic. The action took a back seat to the characters and the result was everything I want in a serial super hero installment. Toby Maguire didn't even bother me this time. I hated him in the first, but he performed nicely... though he should never be called upon to make strenuous faces for the camera. Never.

When the movie's funny, it's really, really funny. There are some gags and bits of timing in there I haven't seen the likes of since John Landis' heyday.

I've been keeping away from spoiler material on this and any SM sequels, so
I was quite surprised to see the scene wherein Harry discovers his father's private stash of goblin-goodies. It looks like he'll follow along, which is fine with me, as long as we don't get the green armor suit again. Eurghh. ...and John Jameson... I'm thinking Venom, next movie. He goes up and comes back with the symbiote. I know this isn't groundbreaking positing, but in case I'm right, I'd like to have proof someday.

In MY comic book movie heirarchy, I've had a very tough time weighing Superman, X-Men 2, and Unbreakable against each other for the top position. I think- and all apologies to Superman- my current candidate for best comic book movie is still X2. Spider-Man 2, now, is right up there, fighting with the others. It may well be placing above Superman. I'll need to digest a bit more.

I can't believe I forgot to say that Doc Ock was astounding.

The tentacles- Wickedly fearsome and impressive to watch. Those things are so cleverly designed, whereas the Green Goblin costume was so wretched... this time a great-looking Spider-Man isn't unbalanced by a poor looking villain. Those tentacles writhing in the background of some of the dialogue shots just steal the show. They're SO cool looking, but more, they're scary- and I mean that.

The Acting- I'm convinced that Alfred Molina may just have been the best actor in the world for the job. He's SUCH a great compromise between what Doc Ock looks like in the comics and what'll work on screen.

The Villain- Imposing. I didn't think Doc Ock could seem to be more dangerous than the Green Goblin, but he's terrifically imposing. Raimi treats him like a movie monster, with crowds of people running and screaming before him. When he's approaching, you can hear the distant booms (which sound bipedal, but we'll let that slide). Doc Ock is alive and furiously threatening.

Whoof... Marvel and Avi Arad are doing great things, despite The Hulk, Daredevil and The Punisher. It's a golden age for comic movies.

ThoughtBubble said:
The fight scenes were better, but I was hoping for a little more Hong-Kong style fightscenes. I mean, we've got a super agile guy who can climb walls. Good action, yes, but I wouldn't say best. Though there is that one fight...
Why Hong Kong style fighting? Spidey's never been like that...crazy acrobatics and good old fashioned fist to jaw is what I always think of with Spidey.

ThoughtBubble

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Why Hong Kong style fighting? Spidey's never been like that...crazy acrobatics and good old fashioned fist to jaw is what I always think of with Spidey.

True. Crazy acrobatics and ridiculous amounts of dodging are what I remember from the comics. I want more dodging, like the one really good scene. :D

Wowee zowee.

That was darn near flawless. I concur with every positive thing written about this movie. 9/10. Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure what I'd change to get a 10. Maybe Aunt May's "Hero" speech to Peter and Peter's Uncle Ben dream was laying it on a bit thick.

Thief of Always

First Post
Sam Raimi has proved himself once again.

I know this has been said already before, but it's the truth: this was a near flawless picture. It's been a while since I've seen a movie this good.

I saw the 12:25 AM showing Wednesday. It was awesome.

Favorite scenes of mine were the one with the usher (groovy casting there) and the train sequence.

Jameson is hilarious. He's great. I keep getting in my mind his Schillinger character from Oz. He also does the voice of the yellow peanut M&M in the M&M commercials, although that doesn't get to me as much.

Kudos to Danny Elfman as well...he never ceases to amaze me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads