• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Rate the D&D movie

Rate the D&D movie

• 1 *

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2 **

• 3 ***

• 4 ****

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 *****

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • 6 ******

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • 7 *******

Votes: 53 20.8%
  • 8 ********

Votes: 101 39.6%
  • 9 *********

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • 10 **********

Votes: 19 7.5%

Mirtek

Hero
6.5/10 maybe 7/10

On par with a weaker MCU movie. A huge step up from the previous movies (well, there wasn't really any room below the third movie) but I expected more after the trailers

teitan

Legend
I thought I would enjoy it. I thought it would be a hit and make enough money for a sequel. I thought my wife and D&D playing friends would enjoy it. I was wrong.

We loved it and I think this movie will have legs but we won’t hear about a sequel until after the home video release. I’m betting dollars to donuts it will make the budget back, plus a small profit and they will see the home video response similar to Batman Begins or Austin Powers and how they grew based on word of mouth and home video performance. It’s facing down Mario Bros and not much else in the next few weeks so it will have some room to stretch its legs and perform steadily. It outperformed expectations and was a joy to watch. Themberchaud was the highlight for my friends and I got a kick out of Xenk.

It's worth noting that I saw this with a group of kids, so I was a little distracted and missed a couple of bits.

It was good. Overall, I had a really fun time. I enjoyed it a lot. Plenty of good D&D lore references. Some interesting characters. A better plot than I expected. Not a bad bit of worldbuilding. The expected number of movie gaffs and plot holes. I'll definitely buy it on Bluray and see it again at home some time. I think it will be good for the brand.

My criticism: If I didn't know anything about D&D going in to this movie, it feels like it would be kinda forgetable. Not bad or boring. But I don't know what the hook is for people who aren't already interested in D&D. Nothing stands out as "Wow! People will be talking about that scene/item/character/monster/special effect/aesthetic/idea." Also, the run time is on the long side.

I'm definitely hoping there will be a sequel (a real one, not direct to streaming/video). I think it deserves it.

Last edited:

My criticism: If I didn't know anything about D&D going in to this movie, it feels like it would be kinda forgetable. Not bad or boring. But I don't know what the hook is for people who aren't already interested in D&D. Nothing stands out as "Wow! People will be talking about that scene/item/character/monster/special effect/aesthetic/idea." Also, the run time is on the long side.

I went with a 55 year old non D&D player friend and he had a blast. I think, the movie will also catch some traction with genral fantasy fans.

Mirtek

Hero
I thought I would enjoy it. I thought it would be a hit and make enough money for a sequel. I thought my wife and D&D playing friends would enjoy it. I was wrong.

We loved it and I think this movie will have legs but we won’t hear about a sequel until after the home video release. I’m betting dollars to donuts it will make the budget back, plus a small profit and they will see the home video response similar to Batman Begins or Austin Powers and how they grew based on word of mouth and home video performance. It’s facing down Mario Bros and not much else in the next few weeks so it will have some room to stretch its legs and perform steadily. It outperformed expectations and was a joy to watch. Themberchaud was the highlight for my friends and I got a kick out of Xenk.
Our cinema was showing the movie in it's smallest theater. Was quite some time since I last saw anything in this particular room. So at least that one cinema seems to lack faith in that movie

Lazvon

Adventurer
I really enjoyed it. Very solid 8 from me. Was a little loud for the kids, but enjoyable anyway. Trying to decide if I want to see it in the theater again or just way for the AppleTV pre-buy to show up. First time in a movie theater in 37-months or so for us.

Our cinema was showing the movie in it's smallest theater. Was quite some time since I last saw anything in this particular room. So at least that one cinema seems to lack faith in that movie

In contrast, my cinema had it up in their number one biggest theater, and it was a great experience. Even got me and my girl the fancy deluxe seats.

It has been a while since I've had this much fun at the cinema.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Just saw it tonight - there's some very good plot and character ideas there (as in, stupendously better than I expected when this was first announced) but the execution seemed a bit disjointed and one or two of the casting choices didn't quite click for me. Some timing pieces also bugged me, by which I mean that in-fiction time sometimes passed at the speed of plot far too blatantly for my taste.

Hugh Grant's scenery-chewing greatly reminded me of Kenneth Branagh playing Gilderoy Lockhart in HP2. Good stuff!

End result: 7/10.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads