• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Rate the D&D movie

Rate the D&D movie

• 1 *

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2 **

• 3 ***

• 4 ****

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 *****

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • 6 ******

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • 7 *******

Votes: 53 20.8%
  • 8 ********

Votes: 101 39.6%
  • 9 *********

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • 10 **********

Votes: 19 7.5%

If they get the same writers for the sequel, maybe we'll get an Empire Strikes Back. I'd love to see a sequel that raises the stakes, and ends on a cliffhanger where it seems our heroes have simply lost.

ECMO3

Hero
If you've seen it, give us your score! Out of 10, 1 is low, 10 is high. Use whatever criteria you want--I'm not your das!
I gave it a 9. To me it definitely had a D&D game feel.

1. A bunch of different characters who you have trouble understanding why they would be together. there is a tiny bit of backstory plot to this as in a real game.

2. Linear task-oriented mission: Escape capture, gather team, find helm, break in vault, steal money, save city. This was more like a D&D story than an epic story like LOTR. A bunch of small quests to get to the end.

3. Bending the rules for thematic reasons. So I am thinking about Simon mostly here. He has a thing on his belt he articulates to cast spells. This could be a magic item, but it is definitely not a RAW thematic casting element generally. Also the Bard swinging the lute. RAW does not support either of these things, at least not specifically. But they are the kind of thing DMs routinely do for storyu reasons. As a matter of fact I played a Bard with a Lute and the Shillaleagh spell and the DM let me use my spell to whack people with my lute. Technically RAW-no.

Note I would not call a Wildshape Owlbear bending the rules. That is flat breaking them.

ECMO3

Hero
If they get the same writers for the sequel, maybe we'll get an Empire Strikes Back. I'd love to see a sequel that raises the stakes, and ends on a cliffhanger where it seems our heroes have simply lost.

What I would like to see is a sequel that makes Forge a good guy. Kind of like Pirates of the Carribean and Captain Barbosa.

What I would like to see is a sequel that makes Forge a good guy. Kind of like Pirates of the Carribean and Captain Barbosa.

I agree, that would be rather interesting. A plot that forces them to have to team up with Forge (reluctantly), and allowing him to redeem himself eventually.

delericho

Legend
A 6 from me, I'm afraid. I thought it was okay - I don't regret the time spent watching it (or travelling some distance to an alternate cinema), or the cost of the tickets, but by the same token I'm not going to rush to watch it again. And I'm certainly not going to subscribe to Paramount+ to get it. (If I do subscribe, which will be for Star Trek, I would probably watch it again... eventually.)

But I just wasn't as impressed with some others. There wasn't anything I disliked; there just wasn't anything I particularly liked either. It was okay, I guess.

(That said, it certainly wasn't the cinematic abomination we had last time. I don't think it can be over-stated how important that is.)

Stormonu

Legend
I think I'd rather see the opposite. We've seen him sliding towards the bad side, I think it would be more interesting if he became a full-on, deadly threat to the group bent on revenge (and a reason to get them all back together again).

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think I'd rather see the opposite. We've seen him sliding towards the bad side, I think it would be more interesting if he became a full-on, deadly threat to the group bent on revenge (and a reason to get them all back together again).
I think it would be more fun to have a redemption arc, he becomes a good guy, and makes amends with the rest of the group. Then at the end, he just can't help himself and ends up betraying them for wealth.

Stormonu

Legend
I think it would be more fun to have a redemption arc, he becomes a good guy, and makes amends with the rest of the group. Then at the end, he just can't help himself and ends up betraying them for wealth.
Movie spoiler
I want to see him end up in the cell with the hobgoblin (and some funny but forward-moving shennanigans), and they become partners - eventually taking over the prison and running plots from within its walls. Perhaps the two luring (or framing) Edgin & Co. so they get thrown in the prison as revenge. Then, have it turn out there's something more sinister going on...

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
My expectations were very low at first, I had no intentions of seeing it. But I saw several reports that the movie was actually quite a bit of fun.

Finally got you see it tonight.

I honestly don't understand the praise. The special effects were nice, the production value was good, but that's about it.
Outside of that, it's quite the mediocre movie. The characters are bland, the plot is very thin, the music is forgettable, the villain was quite uninteresting, etc.

It wasn't terrible altogether, I did finish it but it's the type of movie that I'll never watch again and forget that I ever watched it in a few months.

It did not help that they went with the silly D&D approach. It's not a bad thing, but I've never been a fan of silliness at my table so I couldn't relate with that humour. Also, it did not feel like D&D to me. It was just a generic fantasy movie names like Elminster, Mordekainen and a few iconic creatures slapped on to make it D&D.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads