• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravenloft and Damage Reduction

Virtue

First Post
I have a question maybe some of you can help me?
My DM tells me that you need to know what a creatures allignment is and prove it to be able to break their DR like say a demon it has 10 Good you have to know the creature is evil to break its DR. I really disagree with my DM can I have any of your opions or knowledge
Thanks
GFL Out (Gamer For Life)
well my dm was being funny and just messing with my head thanks for the help though i was going to show it to him and tell him how wrong he was later

Last edited:

In the whole paragraph about Damage Reduction (in the SRD) there isn't one bit about the attacker having to know the alignment of his opponent.

Also, I think it's a little stupid that you'd have to know. A creature that conceals his alignment will be totally protected from items that can bypass its DR? Come on...

Tell you DM to stop smoking the wacky tobbacky! :)

AR

Ssyleia

First Post
Actually you need a "good" attack mode to break the damage resistance. Just you being good, knowing the critter is evil doesn't make your swordblow even scratch it...

For example a holy weapon qualifies as "good" - as does the mere fistblow of a good outsider...

Virtue

First Post
Ssyleia said:
Actually you need a "good" attack mode to break the damage resistance. Just you being good, knowing the critter is evil doesn't make your swordblow even scratch it...

For example a holy weapon qualifies as "good" - as does the mere fistblow of a good outsider...

no you had to have the weapon and know that they were good but it was a miss comunication
it started with the detect evil and a palidins smite my bad my dmd was being funny and messing with my head

Remove ads