• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravenloft Campaigns: What’s the meta-point?

Irda Ranger

First Post
Are you sure that you are sure? Because, I don't know how you read your own sentences, but it seems to me like you stated that you wanted to discuss why PC's where attracted to a Ravenloft campaign rather than core D&D in preperation for a discussion on how to update Ravenloft for 4e.
I'm sorry if that one sentence, taken out of context from the larger post, mislead you. But no, I didn't start this thread to discuss the particulars of the campaign setting or how to best update it for 4E. Per the actual title of the thread, and given a holistic reading of the OP, the discussion is "What is the meto-point". "What is the theme." The Core Story.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
What's the theme that unites gaming in Ravenloft (or any Ravenloft-like setting).

RPG settings accommodate more than one type of story, and Ravenloft is no exception. That is to say, there is more than one type of adventure and, thus, more than one type of theme in any given RPG setting, Ravenloft included. You're asking for something that doesn't exist (i.e., an all-encompassing theme that runs through all possible adventures).

Likewise, in Gothic literature there are stories about people playing god and discovering that their best efforts fall short (Frankenstein), stories about seeking out forbidden love or knowledge (The Name of The Rose, The Monk), practicing foul magic (The Necromancer; or, The Tale of the Black Forest) and so forth.

There is no one, single, unifying theme that marks all of these works as being "Gothic" but, rather, a broad palette of many themes and tenets that defines the genre in question. The closest that you will ever get is to say that Gothic works contain elements of both Horror and Romance. The myriad of these same varied themes are also present in Ravenloft.

As is the case in Gothic literature, Ravenloft PCs can just easily be fearless monster hunters (as Jonathan Harker), seekers of forbidden knowledge (as William of Baskerville), seekers of forbidden love (as was Adso of Melk), or even the evil-doers of such fables (if you choose to approach it from that angle). There are as many different ways to play 'Gothic adventure' as there are works of Gothic fiction.

Irda Ranger said:
I'm really not asking about the particulars of the campaign setting at all.

You might not be asking about them but you do seem to be awfully hung up on many of those things not being "Gothic" (indeed, you do specifically say so, as cited below).

Irda Ranger said:
Did someone say that? I didn't.

You did heavily suggest that certain elements of Ravenloft aren't Gothic when you talked about certain elements of the setting not meeting your standard for "gothic horror" as represented by a random Google search:

Irda Ranger said:
Here are the first three results from Google when searching for "elements of gothic horror." (One, Two, Three) I only quickly scanned them but "randomly confusing geography" and "Oops, we disintegrated the world" somehow doesn't make the list.

This being the case, I again point out that inclusion of tropes from other genres doesn't make a work defined primarily by Gothic tropes 'non-Gothic' (or less Gothic) in any way. In fact, in this particular instance, Ravenloft is billed as 'Gothic Fantasy' which is an accurate representation.

Irda Ranger said:
Remealthis and I just expressed a preference for a consistent world, like Krynn or Toril, rather than a patchwork demiplane.

Well, Ravenloft does have consistency. As much as any other D&D setting, AFAICT. Much of what you claim makes it thematically inconsistent (frex, geographical boundaries) doesn't and, even if incongruent or supernatural geography is an issue for you, it's easily handwaved away (as I previously note).

I have to agree with Cerebrim and a few other posters that picking on setting elements that have almost nothing to do with genre does make it seem like you're inventing reasons to dismiss Ravenloft (especially when you seem to be ignoring advice on how to downplay those elements if they bother you).

Irda Ranger said:
I very explicitly want to play in a Gothic Horror setting and was just looking for some opinions on what the focus of such adventures should be.

I think that you have been given many such opinions here, but you are dismissing most of them as unsatisfactory based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the genre. You keep saying that you're interested in "Gothic Horror" but you keep dismissing relevant insight into the genre based on what you think it should be, rather than on what it is.

I suggest that you take some time to better understand the genre. I think that reading the following books will give you a better idea of what adventures can be had within the confines of the Gothic genre than any message post will:

These are two of the works that initially defined "Gothic" as its own genre, though I would also add Wuthering Heights if you're looking for something more familiar or The Necromancer, if you're specifically looking for something particularly heavy on the Horror.

Irda Ranger

First Post
All I said was that I didn't care for certain of Ravenloft's tropes (mostly relating to its status as a Demiplane) and since those tropes are completely unnecessary to establish a Gothic horror setting/feel I saw the setting as being improved by their removal. The fact that those tropes can be used to instill certain traditional GH themes is irrelevant, since they're hardly the only way.

I really have no idea why people think I'm "inventing reasons to dismiss Ravenloft" when I haven't dismissed Ravenloft. All I did was noted that certain of its features, while they clearly work for some people, aren't my cup of tea. Is that a crime? Would I be accused of "dismissing Eberron" if I mentioned that I didn't like Sharn or thought the map to sparse?

The fact is that I like Ravenloft. It's one of my favorite settings. That's why I started this thread, since why on Earth would I start a thread about a setting I didn't like? As far as I can tell the only thing I'm guilty of here is disagreeing with some people on whether Ravenloft is better as a standalone world or patchwork demiplane.

Imaro

Legend
All I said was that I didn't care for certain of Ravenloft's tropes (mostly relating to its status as a Demiplane) and since those tropes are completely unnecessary to establish a Gothic horror setting/feel I saw the setting as being improved by their removal. The fact that those tropes can be used to instill certain traditional GH themes is irrelevant, since they're hardly the only way.

I really have no idea why people think I'm "inventing reasons to dismiss Ravenloft" when I haven't dismissed Ravenloft. All I did was noted that certain of its features, while they clearly work for some people, aren't my cup of tea. Is that a crime? Would I be accused of "dismissing Eberron" if I mentioned that I didn't like Sharn or thought the map to sparse?

The fact is that I like Ravenloft. It's one of my favorite settings. That's why I started this thread, since why on Earth would I start a thread about a setting I didn't like? As far as I can tell the only thing I'm guilty of here is disagreeing with some people on whether Ravenloft is better as a standalone world or patchwork demiplane.

I think what may be getting under peoples skin is the way you state what you "feel", like so...

1. They're bad tools. It's like using a SuperSoaker to put screws in drywall.
2. I'm just talking about what I would do here. I really have no idea what gave you the impression I was trying to forbid your WrongBadFun. Do whatever you want man.

Emphasis mine, you're stating this like it's fact when it's not. In my opinion you're judging a tool as bad because you either can't use it as well as some or don't like the way it does it's job. Cool, but this alone doesn't make anything an inherently or objectively bad tool. Ease up on the badwrongfun preaching and you might get a more productive conversation... as it stands now it feels like this is more about what Irda thinks is "Ravenloft" and much less about discourse or anything outside your already defined box. If you've already decided what "Ravenloft" should be for you, no problem, but then I have to ask... what's the point of this thread?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock

You have addressed said tropes as not being Gothic Horror and have (apparently) ignored suggestions for how to downplay them, repeatedly stating that they make Ravenloft unenjoyable while (again, apparently) refusing to do anything yourself to remedy that situation.

I really have no idea why people think I'm "inventing reasons to dismiss Ravenloft" when I haven't dismissed Ravenloft.

I suspect it's because almost every bit of input you've received on this thread has been dismissed as incorrect or immaterial by you (when it is acknowledged at all), after which you begin to list reasons why you consider Ravenloft to be fundementally flawed with regard to your understanding of the Gothic genre.

The fact is that I like Ravenloft. It's one of my favorite settings.

Really? That hasn't come across at all in your posts. Rather, it seems that you just keep harping on what you perceive as failures of the setting :erm:

ProfessorPain

First Post
I think people should relax a little. Irda is entitled to an opinion about Ravenloft, even if others here disagree. For my part, I can see how the whole demi plane thing is a little odd for some people, and how there may have been better ways to develop Ravenloft. Personally I love the demiplane thing, and maybe its because I literally grew up playing the game that way. I think there is an intimite and cozy atmosphere to Ravenloft that really makes the setting work.

Last edited:

Irda Ranger

First Post
I think what may be getting under peoples skin is the way you state what you "feel", like so...
Math and logic are objectively true or false, nothing else. Given that I used the phrase "I feel" I can't even begin to imagine why you would think that I was calling your preferences badwrongfun. It's just a statement about how I feel and nothing more.

And as I mentioned already, it was off-topic in the first place. I'm really, really sorry I even tried to discuss it without forking the thread, since it's obviously hosed any chance of actually getting back to the original topic.

If you've already decided what "Ravenloft" should be for you, no problem, but then I have to ask... what's the point of this thread?
Because obviously I wanted some ideas for what the "Core Story" of Ravenloft campaigns are. It's right there in the subject title. And somehow we even managed to have a good discussion about that for a page or two ...

Irda Ranger

First Post
You have addressed said tropes as not being Gothic Horror and have (apparently) ignored suggestions for how to downplay them, repeatedly stating that they make Ravenloft unenjoyable while (again, apparently) refusing to do anything yourself to remedy that situation.
I'll give you the first point; I did ignore ways to downplay them. I did that because I have no need at all to downplay them. I have no obligation to use them in my game whatsoever and have no intention to. No need to downplay what doesn't exist, is there?

Your second contention though is pure b.s. Do you see all those posts between me and Remalthis discussing how to "fix" Ravenloft to our liking? That's our remedy. Maybe you don't like the remedy, but there's no requirement that you like it. It's just for my gaming table and I was happy to brainstorm some solutions with a like-minded poster (aka, Ramalthis). I wasn't seeking your approval to have the discussion or to make changes to my campaign.

I suspect it's because almost every bit of input you've received on this thread has been dismissed as incorrect or immaterial by you (when it is acknowledged at all),
Did you read the first page? Back when the discussion was on topic I think I read and responded to every poster.

after which you begin to list reasons why you consider Ravenloft to be fundamentally flawed with regard to your understanding of the Gothic genre.

Really? That hasn't come across at all in your posts. Rather, it seems that you just keep harping on what you perceive as failures of the setting :erm:
Well my bad for not listing all the things I like about Ravenloft, but I didn't see any need to discuss those. Further, Ravenloft isn't "fundamentally flawed", it's "imperfect" - just like everything else ever conceived by man. I was just having an open discussion on various things I wasn't 100% happy with.

Hawken

First Post
I would like to discuss how to run a Ravenloft campaign using 4E rules and cosmology, but before we get to the actual rule proposals I would like to discuss why PCs play in a Ravenloft campaign (rather than Core D&D). What’s the story being told? What’s the basic, universal story to Ravenloft campaigns? We need to answer that before we know what rules we’ll need, and what they’re supposed to achieve.
I think the discussion went too quickly into the rules proposals that you sought to discuss "later", and I think the OP's lack of control of the direction of the discussion has caused emotions/tempers to rise.

Getting to the original point, I'd have to say that the reason why people play in a Ravenloft game is the same reason they go see a scary movie--they want a good scare. They want to get involved, invest more in their characters than generating stats and picking skills and feats and proceeding to kill monsters. Sure you can go to a scary movie and not get scared and enjoy it, but when you start projecting yourself into the characters, you start to feel some of their tension and gradual horror.

Players want something like that out of a Ravenloft thing--not a "I'm trapped in Ravenloft, I've got to get out" kind of thing, as is suggested. First, that attitude is a little too meta-gamey. The only PCs outside of Ravenloft that would know anything about Ravenloft would be those from a Planescape type of setting, and even then not everyone knows about it. As far as anyone else is concerned, their world just got turned on its head, ala Twilight Zone/Tales from the Darkside.

There is no heroic journey, no epic destiny in Ravenloft. This isn't the kind of campaign for that sort of stuff unless you're shooting for something like a band of paladins "growing up" until they're capable of facing a darklord. But, in Ravenloft, by the time said paladins (or heroes, whatever) were prepared and able to face and defeat a darklord, they would have realized there would be more dire consequences to be had if the darklord was deposed or slain. As an example.

Perhaps the best way to state it is that in other D&D games, the end result is what is important; killing the dragon, saving the princess, leveling up and getting the new sword/artifact. In Ravenloft, its the journey that is the focus. The hero may win or lose, but in a Ravenloft game, its all about the choices that the hero made (or didn't make) along the way that matter.

As was mentioned recently, there is no 'universal' story/theme/whatever to a Ravenloft campaign. Its whatever the DM and Players agree upon. One Ravenloft DM will run a game far different from another. The adventures are all different with any underlying themes being largely limited to a story arc. And I would say that this part of the OP's OP should be considered achieved and if this thread is continued, perhaps now would be the best time to start/resume discussing rules and details of the game the OP wants to run.

Whatever that story is, I think it must engage the core concepts of Ravenloft: The existence of the Darklords, the Mists, and horror and madness. Which Domain(s) and Darklord(s) make cameos in your campaign must not be allowed to be as important, otherwise you’ll never be allowed to leave Barovia (or wherever) without the whole campaign unraveling. It needs to be more basic than that (just like how in Core D&D it doesn’t matter which dungeon your explore or dragon you defeat).
Actually, this is not true at all. The core concept of Ravenloft is a Gothic Horror theme, the rest are just tools to use to set the theme. The existence of Dark Powers is largely a myth, the truth of their existence known to pretty much a handful of people (Strahd, Azalin, Van Richten, and perhaps less than a dozen others)--but even then they are not known as Dark Powers (Azalin knows them as his 'tormentors', while Strahd knows of them as 'Death').

Dark Lords are also not known as Dark Lords, much like the Dark Powers are not known as Dark Powers. No one says "Oh yeah, Strahd's our Darklord." This term is a meta-game title largely for the DM's benefit of identifying the true power behind a domain. Vlad Drakov of Falkovnia is known as the Kingfuhrer, not as Falkovnia's Darklord. The exception to this is mostly between Darklords themselves, or certain NPCs such as Van Richten or the Weathermays. Strahd recognizes Azalin and others as Darklords, largely because he is aware they are as cursed as him.

The Mists, likewise are a tool to either hinder or help the PCs. Strahd's Choking Fog in Barovia is not the Mists. BIG difference. The Mists convey the Vistani around, allowing for their improbable appearance and possibly as a source of rapid transit for the PCs. It can be used to 'fence off' an area as the populace largely is afraid of the Mists. --An earlier argument about the Mists parting to reveal an ocean is not improbable or ridiculous as the prevailing fear of the Mists would have kept people from exploring them; the Mists part and, there ya go!, what you thought was a sea/end of the world, is just a fog shrouded ocean!

I don't understand the statement about Domains/Darklords and not being allowed to be important and ruining the game if it is. Each setting IS important, and each, to a degree, dictates how things will be in the game. If you're in Barovia, then maybe the idea is to get past the Choking Fog, and to do that maybe the PCs need to take out a bothersome Hag or upstart Vampire that's annoying Strahd, or maybe Strahd is wanting to "question" them about something and they've got to convince the Vistani to allow them to hitch a ride with them when they leave. The Domain/Darklord issue shouldn't even be an issue, its a setting. Just because the PCs are in Nova Vaasa doesn't mean that Malken is their foe, or that he should even be a concern.

I'm totally disagreeing with the last part in that in Ravenloft it IS important which domain you're in (unlike in Core D&D where one dungeon or the other doesn't make a difference). A party heavy in wizards and clerics is going to have a more difficult time in Tepest rather than Darkon or Hazlan while a group of knights would be stymied by the lack of conventional enemies in the woods of Sithicus and rogues would find the abject squalor and poverty of Falkovnia to make for slim pickings, especially considering the penalties for being caught! Characters designed for urban adventures would be at a disadvantage in the jungles of Sri Raji or the tundra of Vorostokov, while barbarians and druids would feel greatly out of place in the advanced cities of Mordent or Lamordia. Which domain the game is played in can tip the scales when it comes to the life or death of the PCs.

Further, the story must have some form of hope, however slim. The odds of any particular 1st level PC actually making it to 30th level are incredibly slim, but there’s hope. There’s no fundamental rule that it cannot be done. The same must be true for Ravenloft if it’s going to be an enjoyable campaign. So what do Ravenloft PCs hope for? What’s the meta-goal everyone agrees on?
The odds of ANY PC going from 1 to 30 is pretty slim anyway but Ravenloft is not a place devoid of hope. Yes, there are terrible things but the setting of Ravenloft is also one of great beauty and strong communities. The chances of advancement for PCs are roughly the same as any other setting. However, its hardly emphasized because power and epic traits are not always compatible with gothic horror. The zombie that scared the PCs at level 1 won't scare the level 10 PCs and the Zombie Lord that frightened the level 10 PCs won't have the same effect on the level 20 PCs and beyond that, its difficult to explain why your character is shaken or horrified by something less powerful than what they vanquished the week before!

Someone earlier posited that PCs are in a 'survival' mode of sorts, defensive adventuring, mitigating bad things, cutting losses, etc. and that is not too far off the mark. Ravenloft is not as magic/wealth heavy as the Realms or Greyhawk. Getting the next best widget is not the goal of a Ravenloft game, but rather accomplishing some goal is the driving force; saving a village, finding a cure for something. Basically, Ravenloft adventuring is living life, not so much a monster-hunting, treasure-hauling excursion. You make choices and you have to face the consequences (and rewards) those choices bring. You go through a Ravenloft adventure done right and you're going to have a character--not a set of stats and numbers, but a character as real as any you've ever read about.

One caveat before I end this post: I think the 2E Ravenloft CS was really, really neat, but fundamentally did not allow for a story about the PCs. The Darklords were too omnipresent and omnipotent. There was no clear focus on the PCs as the Heroes of the tale being told. Like Dragonlance, it made for a few good novels, but not great adventuring. Further, there wasn’t enough hope; remember how Jandyr Sunstar “beat” the Mists by committing suicide? Yeah …, I think most players are going to need something a little more cheery than that to look forward to. So what I’m really looking for is a core story that can be inspired by the legacy of Ravenloft, not a faithfully perfect recreation.
Again, disagreeing here. 2E Ravenloft definitely allowed for PC stories. I've DM'ed just about all of them, some of them several times, and I've never had complaints from any players that the adventures were too linear, too focused on the Dark Lords or didn't allow them the chance to be heroes. Hell, the PCs never even knew about Dark Lords until they read the books on them.

I don't know where you got that stuff or the part about not enough hope. I'd guess that you maybe like Ravenloft alot, have even read some of it, but haven't ever DM'ed it, or rarely so. The only time I've ever had PCs feel hopeless or defeated was when I wanted them to, when they were tired and running out of ideas, but otherwise, with plenty of sleep/Mountain Dew, they were all excited to be playing and never felt like there was no point to it.

Just as a side point, Jander attempted suicide, he didn't succeed. Ravenloft wasn't quite done with him and didn't let him 'escape' that easily. The Mists rose and whisked him away from the sun before he could be destroyed.

I'm not sure also by what you're asking for a 'legacy' of Ravenloft and not a recreation. What exactly do you mean by that? You want a Ravenloft game without the Ravenloft? What a horror game outside of the Ravenloft setting?

If you want a Ravenloft "lite" game, try Expedition to Castle Ravenloft and adapt that to 4E. It has plenty of guidelines for using Barovia as a setting outside of a Ravenloft campaign setting. And with the Open Grave 4E guide to undead just recently released, you've got all kinds of undead goodies just waiting to be thrown at the PCs along with an updated 4E Strahd ready and waiting for them!

Wraith Form

Explorer
This is {edit: was} a terrific thread. Arguments {initially} well written (but which by page 3 or so were spiraling into tedium). For a while there, I was thinking, "Yeah, I totally agree with you completely!" to every dang post and author, and that's pretty cool.

Last edited:

Remove ads