Ravenloft: Dominion - aka Ravenloft novels outside Ravenloft

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Thanks for the answers, Ari! :)

Just out of curiosity, why the long wait for writing about Malosia? Purely from a practical standpoint, it seems more likely to be published if submitted quickly after the book's release.

That said, such a write-up appearing in a WotC product might be a bit awkward, since the only 3E Ravenloft material we've gotten (Expedition and a few Dragon articles notwithstanding) has been from Arthaus, so it might be a bit odd for WotC if your write-up included a Cultural Level or Magic Level, et al, for the domain.

Alzrius said:
Just out of curiosity, why the long wait for writing about Malosia? Purely from a practical standpoint, it seems more likely to be published if submitted quickly after the book's release.

Two reasons, primarily.

1) Any such writeup would almost by definition include spoilers for the novel. I'd want to make sure most people who wanted to read the book would have the chance to do so first.

2) I'm hoping for the chance to write more books in the line, and some of those might also be set in Malosia. I'd want to have a pretty solid idea of where I was going with the domain before committing to any info not included in the novel.

Klaus

First Post
Ari,

Since the novels are drawing from Earth, and specifically very *religious-focused* periods of Earth's history, I assume the domain will feature Earth religions, or at least Earth-based characters will view everything through a Earth-religion lens, right?

Obergnom

First Post
wow, I'm really excited. All the RL one-shots (never did a campaign) I ever played had the characters being drawn from different time periods of the real world into the setting.

This sounds great... now I will cross my fingers and hope there might some day be a new sourcebook for this... oh well, I do not really need it (Having all the old 2nd Ed stuff and some 3rd) but it is easier to sell cool new books to players :)

Wraith Form

Explorer
Obergnom said:
I do not really need it (Having all the old 2nd Ed stuff and some 3rd) but it is easier to sell cool new books to players :)
So, get them to buy Castles & Crusades and you can have your Gothic cake and eat it too! (C&C can be used with all 3 editions of D&D.)

;)

Obergnom

First Post
Hehe, actually, as a halloween special, I ran a Castle Ravenloft (2nd Ed. Version) One-Shot last year using C&C :)

I created the characters and the players picked them randomly. The player that picked Reynauld Batiste (renaissance france, Rogue) made him some kind of french secret police guy, operating after the time of the revolution. Great fun. (The player was really good a speaking with a french accent)

Since we play in german the witch Maria Erlweiß (Dark Ages Germany) was not able to do the accent trick, but Ivan Dragonov (late medival russia) was...

Sadly, some of my players would miss character tweeking to much to switch to C&C for a long running game...

Klaus said:
Ari,

Since the novels are drawing from Earth, and specifically very *religious-focused* periods of Earth's history, I assume the domain will feature Earth religions, or at least Earth-based characters will view everything through a Earth-religion lens, right?

The Earth-based characters do indeed tend to view things through the lens of Medieval Roman Catholicism. The primary religious institution of Malosia, the Empyrean Church, has some similarities to the Roman Catholic Church, but is also very different in many respects.

IOW, I've done my best to ensure that while everything feels at least somewhat familiar, nobody should have any real reason to find offense. ;)

Klaus

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
The Earth-based characters do indeed tend to view things through the lens of Medieval Roman Catholicism. The primary religious institution of Malosia, the Empyrean Church, has some similarities to the Roman Catholic Church, but is also very different in many respects.

IOW, I've done my best to ensure that while everything feels at least somewhat familiar, nobody should have any real reason to find offense. ;)
Hey, no offense from this side. In one of my 2e games, each of the characters came from a different world. The (spell-less) cleric came from Earth (he was a Roman Catholic priest from Renaissance Italy). As a sidenote, my Oerth-originated fighter desperatedly wanted to punch the Athasian elf in the face!

Remove ads