Ravenloft: Dominion - aka Ravenloft novels outside Ravenloft

Klaus said:
Hey, no offense from this side.

I didn't think you were. ;) It was more a general comment.

I seem to have regular access again--yay! (crosses fingers)--so if there are any further questions, I'm happy to address 'em.

The whole "weekend in hell" never set well with me to begin with, since it made the campaign world either a one shot, or a weak Sliders rip off with every new adventure a search for the way home. I much preferred what Domains of Dread attempted to do - present it as a campaign world where natives struggled against the darkness.

I really wanted them to ditch the mist navigation as the means to get to the various islands of terror as well - create a world where it was plausible that people were somewhat ignorant of the horrors lurking beneath the surface. Kind of hard to do when the only means to get to, say, Zherisia is to wander the fog.

ehren37 said:
The whole "weekend in hell" never set well with me to begin with, since it made the campaign world either a one shot, or a weak Sliders rip off with every new adventure a search for the way home. I much preferred what Domains of Dread attempted to do - present it as a campaign world where natives struggled against the darkness.

In terms of RL in gaming, I agree with you. The best RL campaign I ever ran was about natives, and never was the concept of other worlds even brought up.

In novels, I think a good mix is best. The trick is, when writing a novel about outsiders to Ravenloft, to focus on goals other than just "escape." Not saying that getting home can't be a factor, but it should rarely be the primary focus of the story.

Mouseferatu said:
In novels, I think a good mix is best. The trick is, when writing a novel about outsiders to Ravenloft, to focus on goals other than just "escape." Not saying that getting home can't be a factor, but it should rarely be the primary focus of the story.

Thats conforting :) I'll have to check them out!

Vocenoctum

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
In terms of RL in gaming, I agree with you. The best RL campaign I ever ran was about natives, and never was the concept of other worlds even brought up.

Most of my best RL games were outsiders in Ravenloft, but they never realized they were there. I disguised mists as lots of things and the players were usually focused on the adventure enough that they didn't notice. Part of that is using a darker feel in normal adventures also though, so there's not a big transition where suddenly the players notice Spooky.

Obergnom

First Post
he, same here. (Except for the Castel RL one-shot)

I used the setting more like a tool box of good ideas how to make gothic horror happen in regular D&D (At that time, the Forgotten Realms)

Vocenoctum said:
Most of my best RL games were outsiders in Ravenloft, but they never realized they were there.

I may have to try that, at some point. :)

I've never done that, where the outsider characters were drawn to RL and didn't know it. But I have fooled the players. :D I once ran a mini-campaign (five sessions long), with the players all playing natives of a small mountain village. A couple of them knew what was going on, but the rest didn't learn it was a Ravenloft game until the end of the first sesion.

It was a fantastic experience. One of the best mini-campaigns I've ever run, honestly.

Remove ads