D&D General Ravenloft: Monsters vs Darklords

Remathilis

Legend
Is there a non-5e source that says all souls in Ravenloft are trapped there forever? I don't recall reading that.
That's why I professed ignorance; it sounds familiar but I can't remember if it's in an official source, which era it would be (2e vs Arthaus) or if it's an unofficial thing, be it Netbook, discussion group or head cannon. I wouldn't have the ability to look it up either as I don't have access to much of the older lore and absolutely no access to much 3e lore. I don't want to pull a source: trust me bro, but I can't cite an answer beyond it makes sense death isn't an easy escape from the Mists or else people would be more prone to use it.

That's why I professed ignorance; it sounds familiar but I can't remember if it's in an official source, which era it would be (2e vs Arthaus) or if it's an unofficial thing, be it Netbook, discussion group or head cannon. I wouldn't have the ability to look it up either as I don't have access to much of the older lore and absolutely no access to much 3e lore. I don't want to pull a source: trust me bro, but I can't cite an answer beyond it makes sense death isn't an easy escape from the Mists or else people would be more prone to use it.

It is one of those things where there could likely be passing mention of things like this. There is so much material and a lot of it has off the cuff seeming remarks that the line seems to have forgotten. So it is entirely possible. For example the scaling of the core has changed over time, and I believe the S&S books made it canon that the setting has no set scale (travel times are not consistent if I recall int act book). Personally while I like my Ravenloft dreamlike and a bit surreal, I kind of prefer having the scale be set so the land isn't moving around you as you travel. It can always change according to the mists will but I don't want the whole place to feel like the Nightmare Lands.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
My understanding is that most folks in Ravenloft don't realize they leave in a demiplane specifically designed as an ironic prison for exceptionally evil beings. Also, they have lives and families, and therefore in general plenty of reasons not to kill themselves. I don't want to go any further with these thoughts here though.

Remathilis

Legend
My understanding is that most folks in Ravenloft don't realize they leave in a demiplane specifically designed as an ironic prison for exceptionally evil beings. Also, they have lives and families, and therefore in general plenty of reasons not to kill themselves. I don't want to go any further with these thoughts here though.
It's a dark rabbit hole for sure, but one I don't necessarily find any more comforting than not knowing you're the only person in a village born with a soul...

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I think 'souls are trapped in Ravenloft' is a bit of fanon like the original 'people are created by the Dark Powers'--the official material never states anything, but it becomes common as fans overthink things. :)

I did a careful read-through of the Black Box about a decade ago, and while it states that buildings, etc. can be created by the Dark Powers, it never says anything about people--there are references to newly created domains being populated by refugees from elsewhere and the like. It should be remembered that Ravenloft, especially in the Black Box, is very tiny, young, and explicitly not very populated compared to other AD&D worlds.

Last edited:

Incenjucar

Legend
But D&D does not have rules anywhere to determine who does and does not have a soul (apart from in a box in CoS).
That at least can be an arbitrary DM ruling without extra work. The problem is what happens when a soulless person interacts with a abilities designed to work on people with souls.

Remathilis

Legend
That at least can be an arbitrary DM ruling without extra work. The problem is what happens when a soulless person interacts with a abilities designed to work on people with souls.
I would assume resurrection magic wouldn't work on them, but the DP is cruel enough to allow something like trap the soul to still work. All hindrance, no benefit.

They are made by the Dark Powers, and the Dark Powers supplement all godly magic in neo-Ravenloft, so you can easily say they are ressurected to keep the "illusion" running. I don't think it's that complicated.

Remathilis

Legend
They are made by the Dark Powers, and the Dark Powers supplement all godly magic in neo-Ravenloft, so you can easily say they are ressurected to keep the "illusion" running. I don't think it's that complicated.
I guess, but I really like anything that makes resurrection magic difficult but not impossible, so I'm cool with no resses for the soulless.

Remove ads