• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravenloft or HeroQuest for my kids?

DragoonLance

First Post
I have two boys, ages 9 and 5 that have been playing a simplified version of 4e with me for several months now. The entire family also enjoys board games (mostly eurogames these days.) My oldest son owns lots of heroscape stuff which usually ends up getting used in our RPG, so when I saw the Ravenloft board game coming out I thought it would be of great use both for our RPGing and for the times when I don't have anything prepared and they just want to play a game.

But then my FLGS got a copy of HeroQuest that someone traded in, and it is in nearly mint condition. I remember wanting this game so bad when I was a kid but only got to play it once or twice at a friend's house. So I think they would like HQ and it has some nostalgia value for me. :)

So which should I pickup? I sadly can't afford both, at least not at once. If you have played either, which do you think kids would enjoy more, and which do you think I would get more use out of as RPG aid? Right now I'm leaning toward Ravenloft.

darjr

I crit!
I'd do the nostalgia move. Especially if, being used, it's a good deal. Ravenloft, as popular as it sounds it might be, will be around a while.

AJCarrington

Explorer
I'm planning on using the Ravenloft game to help introduce my daughters; the similarity of the game concepts with 4e will help ease/introduce them into the Red Box...at least, that's the plan... ;)

That being said, Heroquest is a great game, and as others have said, Ravenloft will be around for a while.

AJC

arscott

First Post
Heroquest would be my choice:
*It's a simpler game mechanically
*It's cooler from a toy perspective--All that furniature, and cooler looking minis
*You're unlikely to have the opportunity to buy it again later.
*It includes a "GM" role, something that's probably a good Idea when an adult is playing with children.

zlorf

First Post
Hi,

Have you looked Descent Journey in the Dark?
You could simplify it to suit the 5 year old and add more rules as they get the hang of the game...nice dice mechanics, though the game does seem to be built around 4 players and DM.

Ravenloft looks cool - waiting to hear abit more about the game mechanics.

Heroquest - great game for its time, but your could probably play the same game with the 2 above, if your already have miniatures or dungeon tiles.

Best of luck with your choice, im sure what ever way you go, the kids will enjoy it. :)

Cheers
Z

Heroquest would be my choice:
*It's a simpler game mechanically
*It's cooler from a toy perspective--All that furniature, and cooler looking minis
*You're unlikely to have the opportunity to buy it again later.
*It includes a "GM" role, something that's probably a good Idea when an adult is playing with children.

John Crichton

First Post
Hi,

Have you looked Descent Journey in the Dark?
You could simplify it to suit the 5 year old and add more rules as they get the hang of the game...nice dice mechanics, though the game does seem to be built around 4 players and DM.
I would recommend against Descent for a 5 year old. Heroquest is much better for that age and requires no nerfing or simplifying of the rules.

Descent is for down the line. :cool:

DragoonLance

First Post
Thanks for the replies guys! Looks like I'll grab HeroQuest now and maybe pickup Ravenloft for Christmas.

[MENTION=7955]zlorf[/MENTION]: I am familiar with Decent, but the time to play and setup is long enough we could probably play a game of D&D in the same time, plus the cost is more than what I can easily afford in one paycheck, at least without the wife noticing. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads