• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravenloft... scarab beetles???

Pagan priest

First Post
Several months ago, I saw a monster book for Ravenloft that had scarab beetles like the ones from the movie "The Mummy". I can't find it now, or even remember what the title is to look it up!

Can anybody help me?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Pagan priest, I'm pretty confident what you saw was the entry for Grave Scarabs in the Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium Appendix III "Creatures of Darkness" for 2E.

Here's a link to more info about that product: http://kargatane.com/sotk/reviews/mciii.shtml

I double-checked to make sure I was giving you the right information. Take a glance at this page http://kargatane.com/sotk/ref/movies.shtml and scroll down to the entry for the Stephen Sommers version of The Mummy. The last sentence talks about the same thing you mentioned, that the scarab beetles in the movie are just like those in that MCA.

Last edited:

DarkSoldier

First Post
This should be in the D&D Forum; Ravenloft isn't an OGL game, but is an exclusive license to White Wolf. On the back covers of the books, you can see the "Licensed by WotC" logo.

Just clarification on an oft-confused subject.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Just to clarify, Sword & Sorcery only licenced the Ravenloft campaign setting, not the D&D logo or the right to call their Ravenloft products D&D products, from WotC. Compare to Kenzer & Co., who licenced the rights to use the D&D logo on their products.

Ravenloft 3e, while it contains no OGC, is nonetheless d20 compatible and has also traditionally appeared in this forum.

But since neither of us are moderators of this forum, I humbly suggest we let them decide where it should live ;)

Pagan priest

First Post
Alzrius said:
Pagan priest, I'm pretty confident what you saw was the entry for Grave Scarabs in the Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium Appendix III "Creatures of Darkness" for 2E.

Naturally.

That is probably the ONLY Monstrous Compendium that I don't have.

But I'd swear that what I was looking at was a product for D20. But If they are called Grave Scarabs, that could make finding them a lot easier, much easier that trying to find them under Scarab Beetle, Beetle, or Giant Beetle, which is were I have been looking when I see a Ravenloft book in my FLGS.

Thank you for your help.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
They might or might not be in Denizens of Darkness also, but Grave Scarabs are also in the third 2E Ravenloft book of monsters, which was subtitled Creatures of Darkness.

Trust me, I know what I was thinking of.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads