• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) RD&D MM will have nearly 500 Monsters, and new NPCs.

according to the wiki the 5e MM had over 300.

That's potentially 200 roughly new stat blocks. What creatures do you want to see added to RD&Ds MM?

Sorrowsworn are cool. I also want more celestials and fiends. Nymphs, Oreads, Alsieds, etc...

JEB

Legend
I suspect a lot of the new stat blocks will be variants of existing monsters, rather like the 4e Monster Manual. Others may be drawn from assorted adventure and setting modules' creatures that hadn't already been collected in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

A big question is whether or not they'll also pull in Monsters of the Multiverse creatures, or stick to their guns on backwards compatibility and leave it as a separate in-print product. If Monsters of the Multiverse creatures are fair game, I expect most if not all of the "new" monsters will be from there.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I suspect a lot of the new stat blocks will be variants of existing monsters, rather like the 4e Monster Manual. Others may be drawn from assorted adventure and setting modules' creatures that hadn't already been collected in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

A big question is whether or not they'll also pull in Monsters of the Multiverse creatures, or stick to their guns on backwards compatibility and leave it as a separate in-print product. If Monsters of the Multiverse creatures are fair game, I expect most if not all of the "new" monsters will be from there.

No, I expect that they'll leave those alone (it's another book to sell, after all). There's plenty of room to have a few bumped-up or bumped down CR versions of monsters. It's not like they're going to be all-new-all-different monsters, just a few more blocks for versatility's sake.

I can't wait, myself.

JEB

Legend
To add to my earlier reply, they probably will also include a few truly new monsters (or at least monsters new to this edition or revision or whatever they'll call it). Like how Monsters of the Multiverse threw in the dolphin delighter. But I expect it'll be the minority compared to recycled/variant monsters.

(Also, once again like Monsters of the Multiverse, expect there to be much less monster lore. Besides it being the general trend in recent books, ~200 new stat blocks means space will be at a premium. Especially with the larger font size.)

JEB

Legend
The real question is will they stick with the absurdly bloated and wasteful stat block design or condense things a bit. Adding 200 monsters to the MM is basically adding 200+ pages with the 2014 stat blocks.
The stat blocks will probably be more or less what they look like now, they'll just cut the descriptive text down to like a paragraph. Or a few sentences.

Basically, I expect the 2024 Monster Manual to be formatted a lot like the 2008 Monster Manual.

Remove ads