• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) RD&D MM will have nearly 500 Monsters, and new NPCs.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I hope they don’t decrease the existing entries (stat blocks or descriptive text). I was hoping for more, frankly. One thing I always found missing was where you might encounter certain creatures. As a DM planning encounters, it’s nice to know which creatures are typically found in swamps, or which monsters might be found roaming the Shadowfel. I know I can go to various third party websites to get that information, but I shouldn’t HAVE TO in order to get such simple, basic information.

Some of this can be found in the DMG, but A) I shouldn’t have to consult a separate source, B) certain biomes are missing (Coastal, but not Ocean. Underdark, but not simple Underground), and C) planes are completely absent.

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
NPCs don't need a lot of descriptive text, since there purpose is pretty self explanatory. If they did 4 blocks for each subclass (1 for each tier) that would be close to 200 blocks and would probably fit on 50 pages.

It would kill me to see monster lore reduced in the MM. They do a fantastic job of thought starting adventure and campaign writing.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I hope WOTC grows a pair and makes some high level humaniods outfitted with a bunch of magic gear. So that everything over CR8 isn't some spellcaster or a giant floating blob of HP.

Orc Champion of a War God with Flying shoes, magical armor, and 5 attacks with his crackling axe. Or dropping evil Wonder Man at the end of dungeon.

I hope WOTC grows a pair and makes some high level humaniods outfitted with a bunch of magic gear. So that everything over CR8 isn't some spellcaster or a giant floating blob of HP.

Orc Champion of a War God with Flying shoes, magical armor, and 5 attacks with his crackling axe. Or dropping evil Wonder Man at the end of dungeon.
You can just equip an enemy monster with magic items.

dave2008

Legend

Personally that is the last thing I would want. So easy for me to add magic gear to a stat block. I would rather they don't waste the space.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
You can just equip an enemy monster with magic items.
Personally that is the last thing I would want. So easy for me to add magic gear to a stat block. I would rather they don't waste the space.
The point is the have a monster with magic equipment built into its design and CR so when you swap eqiupment, the CR stays the same.

So if that make a Evil Aesir warrior with a lightning hammer, red dragon scale, and winged boots and you switch it to a flame tongue, arctic mail, and a magic carpet, the CR and tactics doesn't change.

Clint_L

Legend
The problem with tricking out the NPCs with magic items up front is that you are taking power away from DMs, who might not want those items going to the players. Why not let the DM add the items to the base NPC if they want to make them more powerful?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads