• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Re-Recruiting] Invasion. Gathering of Heroes (d20 Modern)

ThWatcher

First Post
I like the Scientist Advanced class.

I think I will go with Smart x/Scientist y

Question 1: I noticed that the Scientist table does not show the 'Bonus Feats' that other Advanced classes in other books show. The ones that are given at 3rd, 6th, and 9th levels. Is that as intended? Or are the Bonus Feats mentioned elsewhere in the D20 Past manual? Or is there something else that replaces the Bonus Feats?

Question 2: Say I take 3 levels of smart class, then a level of Scientist, then a 4th level of Smart, can I use the Bonus Feat to get one of the Scientist 'Invention Feats' like 'Simplified Invention'?

Question 3: There is no Wealth check given if you take the full 'x 5 day' rate for Building an Invention. Also, the first line after the -Discoveries Made- table implies that Building an Invention can be done with no wealth being lost. So, should I just assume that an Invention made at the 'x 5 day' rate has a wealth cost DC of 14 or less and therefore costs no wealth points if I have 15 or more in wealth?

Question 4: I'm assuming we will start at the bottom of whatever level you start us at. If that is the case, I would not be able to build any inventions till we have adventured some ti get exp. points to spend on the inventions. Assuming no spare exp. points when the game starts, will I be able to start with 1 or more Inventions already built?

As far as concept;
I'm thinking something along the lines of the son of a Texas Cattle Baron that while not entirely pampered, was given room to pursue his scientific skills.

Or the son of a businessman who was allowed to 'tinker' in the garage. His parents had lower-middle class income. His father's parents were also of middle class income. His mother's parents were well to-do but would not share their wealth because they were still mad at her for 'marrying below her class'. Even so, the character got to spend time with both sets of his grandparents. His father's parents tended to coddle him while his mother's would often state that he was spoiled. The coddling grandparents had middle class income and tended to buy him toys and books and encouraged his imagination. The other grandparents gave him little in the way of toys or money. They did, however, aid him in his higher education by footing the bill for his university years.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Reply1: I had the same question, and found no information regarding that on the book, so I say yes, you have those bonus feats at 3, 6, etc.

Reply2: Nop, I have to say no to that.

Reply3 and 4: You'll start the game with a given number of inventions. Take the amount of discoveries you know for each level, subtract 1 to that number. That's the number of inventions you'll start the game with.

Both concepts would do, although keep in mind that the scope of the discoveries the scientist make require some infrastructure. You'll start at high level, so a garage doesn't seem like a proper place to make first line discoveries. Besides, if you live in your basement, you'll not catch up most of what's happening in the world, heh.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Oh, and I'm definitely doing Strong Hero 3/Soldier 3. He will be a very nationalistic German who was forcibly retired when the Wehrmacht was disbanded by the Treaty of Versailles after WWI. However, if you are moving up the time-scale for when Hitler comes to power and re-instates the German military, he will re-join, not because he believes in the Nazi cause, but because of his nationalism and his belief that his country was mistreated by the Treaty of Versailles.

ThWatcher

First Post
Reply1: I had the same question, and found no information regarding that on the book, so I say yes, you have those bonus feats at 3, 6, etc.

Reply2: Nop, I have to say no to that.

Reply3 and 4: You'll start the game with a given number of inventions. Take the amount of discoveries you know for each level, subtract 1 to that number. That's the number of inventions you'll start the game with.

Both concepts would do, although keep in mind that the scope of the discoveries the scientist make require some infrastructure. You'll start at high level, so a garage doesn't seem like a proper place to make first line discoveries. Besides, if you live in your basement, you'll not catch up most of what's happening in the world, heh.

I still have questions about #3. For future built inventions, what is the wealth cost DC, if any, if I take the full 'x5 days' to make the item? I assume it would have to be less than 15 if anything is ever going to made with no loss of wealth points as implied in the Scientist write-up. But if my wealth ever gets very low, I'll need to know what to roll against.

The rest of the questions seem to be answered fine.

In the concepts, the garage or shed tinkering time was meant to be during their youth. Lab work after collage/university would of course have to be in a real lab, whether owned by him or by someone else.

Also, it says that inventions tend to weigh about 10 lb per discovery level. But what do 0-level discoveries weigh?

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Oh, and I'm definitely doing Strong Hero 3/Soldier 3. He will be a very nationalistic German who was forcibly retired when the Wehrmacht was disbanded by the Treaty of Versailles after WWI. However, if you are moving up the time-scale for when Hitler comes to power and re-instates the German military, he will re-join, not because he believes in the Nazi cause, but because of his nationalism and his belief that his country was mistreated by the Treaty of Versailles.

Great concept, can't wait to read the full background!

I still have questions about #3. For future built inventions, what is the wealth cost DC, if any, if I take the full 'x5 days' to make the item? I assume it would have to be less than 15 if anything is ever going to made with no loss of wealth points as implied in the Scientist write-up. But if my wealth ever gets very low, I'll need to know what to roll against.

The rest of the questions seem to be answered fine.

In the concepts, the garage of shed tinkering time was meant to be during their youth. Lab work after collage/university would of course have to be in a real lab, whether owned by him or by someone else.

Also, it says that inventions tend to weigh about 10 lb per discovery level. But what do 0-level discoveries weigh?

Yes, if you take additional days, the wealth check will lessen, but sometimes you'll not be able to take that additional time. Keep in mind that you'll need some XP to do so anyhow.

Oh, I must have misinterpreted that, sorry, me bad english speak! B-)

Hmm good question. Say 5lb? =P

ThWatcher

First Post
5lb sounds good to me.

And another question. Is it possible to drop a level 1, 2, 3, etc discovery down to a level 0 for building an invention? That is, when you're scientist level 3, you can build a level 2 invention as though you were a level 1 scientist. The invention has a lower power than normal. But can you take it down to a 'built at level 0'?

I would think not, but I have to ask.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I still need to do equipment. But otherwise Waller is ready to go. Also, I hope I made it clear that he is NOT a Nazi. He is a nationalist and a patriot, but he does not support anti-semitism. Much like a number of Germans at the time, he is more interested in rebuilding the German economy. He is the type of person who would be horrified if he ever knew what Hitler intended for the Jews and would work against him if he learned of it.

[sblock=Waller Ackermann]
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Waller Ackermann
[B]Class:[/B] Strong Hero 3/Soldier 3
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Occupation:[/B] Military

[B]Str:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 1        [B]XP:[/B] 15,000
[B]Dex:[/B] 16 +3 (08p.) +1  [B]BAB:[/B] +5         [B]HP:[/B] 45 (3d8+3d10+12)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +7     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] 0/-
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] 0
[B]Wis:[/B] 10 +0 (02p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +3        [B]Spell Save:[/B] +0
[B]Cha:[/B] 08 -1 (00p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -0         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] 0%

[B]Base  Equip Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Defense:[/B]            10    +0    +0    +3    +0    +0    +4    17
[B]Touch:[/B] 13              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 14

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      4    +2          +6
[B]Ref:[/B]                       3    +3          +6
[B]Will:[/B]                      2    +0          +2

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical   Range    Rate     Mag[/B]
unarmed                   +7     1d4+2      20x2
Luger P08 Pistol          +8     2d6        20x2       30 ft.   S        8 box
Mauser Karabiner 98K      +9     2d10+2     20x2       80 ft.   S        5 box
Knife                     +7     1d4+2      19-20x2

[B]Languages:[/B] German, English, French, Russian

[B]Talents:[/B] Extreme Effort, Improved Extreme Effort

[B]Feats:[/B] Advanced Firearms Proficiency, Armor Proficiency (light), Blind-Fight, Combat Martial Arts, Defensive Martial Arts, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Point Blank Shot, Simple Weapons Proficiency, Weapon Focus (Mauser Karabiner 98K), Weapon Specialization (Mauser Karabiner 98K)

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 51       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 9/4.5
[B]Permanent Skills:[/B] Climb, Knowledge (tactics)
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Climb                      6    +2     +1   +9
Jump                       9    +2          +11
Knowledge (tactics)        9    +2     +1   +12
Listen                     9    +0          +9
Read/Write English
Read/Write French
Read/Write Russian
Speak English
Speak French
Speak Russian
Spot                       9    +0          +9
Swim                       9    +2          +11

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
XXXX                     XXcp   XXlb
XXXX                     XXsp   XXlb
XXXX                     XXgp   XXlb
XXXX                     XXgp   XXlb
[B]Total Weight:[/B]XXlb      [B]Money:[/B] XXgp XXsp XXcp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               XXX   XXX   XXX   XXX   XXX

[B]Age:[/B] 32
[B]Height:[/B] 5'11"
[B]Weight:[/B] 209 lbs.
[B]Eyes:[/B] blue
[B]Hair:[/B] black
[B]Skin:[/B] fair
Appearance: Waller is a handsome soldier with a neat crew cut and dour demeanor. His only blemish is a slight hairlip that he tries to cover up by constantly sucking in his lips. He is always completely clean-shaven and tidy no matter what he wears, but he is most at home in his officer's uniform or army fatigues.

Background: Waller grew up on a family farm in the Ruhr. He never did well with parochial life and at the age of 12 he was enrolled in military school in Frankfurt. He was a lad of 16 when the Great War began, and like many other patriotic sons, he lied about his age to enlist in the German army. During the course of the war he saw heavy battle as a rifleman and light infantryman on the Russian front, eventually being given command of his own platoon and recognized for valor with the Iron Cross. In early 1917 his company was shifted to the Western Front where he participated in numerous campaigns against French, English, and American troops. However, his platoon was not accustomed to trench warfare and suffered heavy casualties. Waller himself was shot in the arm although he would later recover and go on to win another medal for merit before the war ended with the Armistice Treaty and later Treaty of Versailles.

Waller returned to his home a war hero, but the German economy was ruined by the war and the unfavorable terms of the Versailles Treaty. His family had to sell the farm and move to Heidelburg to find work in the factories. Waller's younger sister Brigita died during this time of influenza brought on by the family's poor living conditions in a multi-family apartment. Waller never took a wife because the pursuit was beyond his family's means. Waller frequently cursed the Allied countries for the burdensome reparations demanded in the Treaty of Versailles and began to get politically active. An avid anti-communist nationalist, Waller began to support German leaders who promised to end the unfair Versailles Treaty. He has never supported Hitler's anti-semitism however for there were a number of Jews on Waller's mother's side of the family.[/sblock]

Frozen Messiah

First Post
About the Track feat, are you only going to use survival checks or are you going to swap them in town for Search checks?

Would I be able to take Urban Tracking if Track is meant for outdoor enviroments?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads