D&D 5E Re-Revised Ranger

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Animal companion needs to NOT ask players to choose an animal from the Monster Manual. Why is it so difficult for people to not be stupid in this regard? If a significant portion of the class's abilities, particularly their battle capabilities, is going to be derived from this animal and then you give people the "choice" between choosing an animal that has a CR of 0, 1/4 or 1/2-- the ONLY valid choice the player can make is to choose the animal with a CR of 1/2 that has the largest damage die available.

It is like pretending that "unarmed attack" is a valid weapon option for the party's dedicated fighter and that the game is properly designed and balanced to allow for that. Of course not!! The Fighter is given access to martial weapons because they are supposed to USE a martial weapon.

And you make things so much worse by disallowing people to choose any animal with "giant" in the name. So a Beastmaster can choose a Worg as an animal companion, but not a Giant Frog, Giant Rat, Giant Crab, Giant Fire Beetle, etc.-- which are still medium sized animals. In fact, by these rules one could choose large sized animals such as the warhorse.

To make the Beastmaster function, what is needed is an Animal Companion creation table. Something that allows one to choose conceptually any small or medium sized animal they like, but will balance them all out to being a CR 1/4 creature at level 1 and then allow them to level up over time. That way if someone wants to have an Owl or Bat or Hyena, they aren't so completely beyond all reason screwed over compared to the person who made the "right" choice and went with the only animal in the book that is actually designed to be an animal companion (by default wolf, but by your new rules the warhorse or worg).

Here is my first draft for making a far more balanced and fun animal companion than just picking an entry out of the monster manual would ever allow for. Its probably too complicated for beginning players, but using this system one could create an array of options for a player to choose from that will be an actual choice as opposed to there being one all-and-all outright statistically massively superior option and a bunch of total joke options that only exist as traps for the uninformed player as the current system does.

Animal Companion Rules
* An animal companion may be any small or medium sized animal. Creatures that are normally tiny or large can be larger or smaller than normal respectively to meet this requirement such as a small sized frog or a medium sized constrictor snake.
* An animal companion's base speed is 40 for a medium sized animal or 30 for a small sized animal. All small sized animal companions gain one additional ability.
* An animal companion starts with 1 maximized hit die at level 1 and gains an additional hit die each time the Ranger levels up.
* An animal companion's Attack is equal to either its STR or its DEX plus the Ranger's proficiency bonus.
* An animal companion's armor class is equal to 10 + DEX + CON
* All animal companions have an Intelligence of 3 and a Charisma of 6. To determine the other 4 attribute scores you may choose either the array of 15, 12, 12, 12 or use the variant method of ability score purchasing with 21 points to spend.
* The animal companion's natural attack may be bludgeoning, slashing or piercing. Choose one damage type and all attacks become this damage type.
* The animal companion gets a bonus to its damage die equal to either its STR or DEX as well as a bonus equal to the Ranger's proficiency bonus.
* When the Ranger reaches level 5, the animal companion may make 2 attacks with a single attack action. When the Ranger reaches level 11, the animal may make 3 attacks as a single attack action. When the Ranger reaches level 20, the animal may make 4 attacks as a single attack action.
* When the Ranger reaches levels 4, 6, 8, 12, 14, 16 and 19, you may improve the animal's ability scores by adding +2 to any score of your choosing.
* The animal may gain an additional abilities or increase its damage die by 1 size when the Ranger reaches levels 3, 7, 10, 15, and 18.
* To determine the animal companion's hit die, natural attack die and number of abilities, please choose one the options from the chart below.

Hit DieNatural Attack DieAbilities
D12D120
D10D121
D12D101
D10D102
D12D82
D8D122
D10D83
D8D103
D8D84
D10D64
D6D104
D8D65
D6D85
D6D66
D4D86
D8D46
D4D67
D6D47
D4D48

Animal Companion Abilities
You may choose a number of the following abilities for your animal companion equal to the number of abilities your animal companion has.

Adaptable Attacker - This animal may choose to make attacks of an additional damage type. If it has any abilities that modify its damage die (such as poisoned attacks), attacks made of this additional damage type may ignore that ability and the damage modifier caused by it. By purchasing this ability a second time, the damage for this second attack type is reduced by 1 die size, however the animal may attack using it as a bonus action.

Aquatic - This animal is at home in the water. Its movement speed becomes its swim speed and it has the waterbreathing ability but loses its ability to breath air. This ability may be purchased twice in order to negate the disadvantages and allow the animal to be at home both on land and in the water.

Beast of Burden - This animal is capable of carrying items as though it were one size larger. This also allows it to be used as a mount for creatures its size or smaller.

Blood Frenzy - This animal has advantage on attacks against opponents who have lost some of their hit points.

Camouflage - This animal has advantage on stealth checks when in a particular natural environment (examples: underwater, forest, desert, mountains, subterranean)

Charge - If this animal moves at least 20 feet before making an attack against an opponent, the animal may roll its natural attack damage die twice when calculating damage for this attack. In addition, the opponent must make a Strength save at DC equal to 10 + the animal's STR or be knocked prone.

Climber - This animal may climb difficult surfaces, including being upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check. This animal also has a climb speed equal to its movement speed.

Echolocation - This ability may be taken up to twice. The first time grants the animal Blindsight up to 60'. The second time grants the animal Blindsight up to 120'. This Blindsight is lost if the animal is deafened.

Evasive - This animal does not provoke an attack of opportunity when it moves out of an enemy's reach.

Flight - This animal has a flight speed equal to double its movement speed, however its ground movement speed is reduced to half.

Grappler - When this creature succeeds on hitting with a natural attack, the opponent is grappled until they make a save with DC equal to 10 + the animal's STR.

Hold Breath - This animal may go without breathing for up to 30 minutes.

Illumination - This creature may create a light source to shine bright light on a 10' radium area around it and shine dim light upon an additional 10'.

Improved Vision - You may take this ability up to two times. The first time grants the animal Dark Vision up to 60'. The second time grants the animal Dark Vision up to 120'.

Ink Cloud/Dust Cloud - The creature may make a 5' cloud around itself obscuring vision for 1 minute unless dispersed. It may then make a dash action as a bonus action. This ability may only be used once per a long or short rest.

Keen Sense - This animal has advantage on perception checks made with either its sight, hearing or smell (choose 1). This ability may be purchased up to three times in order for it to affect the other senses.

Knockdown - When this creature makes a successful attack, the opponent must make a strength check equal to 10 plus the animals STR or be knocked prone. Creatures of smaller size than the animal make this check with disadvantage while creatures larger than the animal make the check with advantage.

Pack Tactics - This animal has advantage on attacks against opponents if one of its allies is within 5' of the opponent and that ally isn't incapacitated.

Poisoned Attack - This creature's natural attack bonus becomes 2 die size smaller to a minimum of 1 damage. However, if it makes successful natural attack against an opponent, the opponent must make a save DC equal to 10 + the animal's CON or take additional poison damage equal to three times the natural attack die. A successful save instead deals half damage.

Pounce/Trample - When this animal moves more than 20 feet before making a successful attack against an opponent, the opponent must make a strength check equal to 10 plus the animals STR or be knocked prone. Creatures of smaller size than the animal make this check with disadvantage while creatures larger than the animal make the check with advantage. This animal may then make one additional attack against the opponent.

Ranged Attack - This animal's natural attack may be used at a distance. The damage die is reduced by 1 size, but it may be used at a distance equal to the animal's movement speed.

Rampage - When this creature reduces an opponent to 0 hit points, it may take a bonus action to move a distance equal to half its movement speed and make an additional natural attack against another opponent.

Relentless - When this animal takes damage equal to less than half its hit points that would reduce it to 0 hit points, it is instead reduced to 1 hit point. This ability may only be used once per a long or short rest.

Running Leap - With a 10' running start, this animal may leap a distance equal to half its movement speed.

Standing Leap - This creature may make long jumps equal to half its movement speed and high jumps equal to one third its movement speed with or without a running start.

Stealthy - This animal is proficient with the Stealth Skill.

Sure Footed - This animal has advantage against checks to avoid being knocked prone.

Swift - The movement speed for this animal is 10 higher than it normally is. This ability may only be purchased once.

Web User- While on a web, this creature knows the location of other creatures upon the web as though it had blindsight. In addition, it ignores movement restrictions caused by webbing.

Last edited:

Thurmas

Explorer
Animal companion needs to NOT ask players to choose an animal from the Monster Manual. Why is it so difficult for people to not be stupid in this regard?

First, there is no need to be rude, especially when you are wrong.
Second, a good number of the beasts are not just in the MM, but also in the back the PHB and accessible to anyone.
Third, While it's clear you put a lot of work into it, you've managed to create a process that is actually more complicated then normal character creation. It also looks to be very over powered and would probably be more powerful than the ranger himself. The point isn't to outshine the ranger, but to have a beast that compliments and works along side him. As is, you've set it up to basically give the ranger an NPC barbarian/fighter.

Looking really good. You parallel a lot of my own thoughts on what a revised ranger should look like. I just have two quibbles:

Firstly, all rangers getting an animal companion is not a direction that WotC is likely to take, based on the design decisions they've already made in 5E. You may have noticed that other forms of companion which were at one time core features, such as the paladin's mount and the wizard's familiar, have also become optional. I believe the reason for this is that, while some players really enjoy this feature, for others having to keep track of a whole extra character is more of a hassle than it's worth.

Secondly, the PHB ranger is bad enough, but you give your ranger a third save proficiency and it's still not Constitution?

GreenTengu

Adventurer
First, there is no need to be rude, especially when you are wrong.
Second, a good number of the beasts are not just in the MM, but also in the back the PHB and accessible to anyone.
Third, While it's clear you put a lot of work into it, you've managed to create a process that is actually more complicated then normal character creation. It also looks to be very over powered and would probably be more powerful than the ranger himself. The point isn't to outshine the ranger, but to have a beast that compliments and works along side him. As is, you've set it up to basically give the ranger an NPC barbarian/fighter.

All of the creatures found in the back of the PHB were reprinted in the MM. So how exactly does pointing out that a number of the entries were printed twice.... you know what, nevermind. Clearly you either don't own the monster manual or you never bothered to check.

What I put together there at level 1 would be on par with the wolf. Actually, it would be LESS powerful than a wolf as level 1 as it would lose an entire hit die. Giving players access to CR 1/2 creatures would allow them something FAR more powerful at level 1. In fact, by the system I laid out one would have to be level 3 before they even start coming close. You could easily enough alter the level progression part I tacked on. Perhaps the animal should level at half the rate of the Ranger instead of equal to it.

Although I am guessing that you think it looks powerful and could at all "outstrip" the Ranger because you get distracted by the possibility of having a D12 Hit Die and attack if you have 0 abilities at all. If you think that is all the Barbarian consists of, then you have quite a lot to learn. In reality, the result would be very close to what one gets from a Riding Horse which starts with 2d10 hit die and deals 2d4 damage on an attack (plus, the Riding Horse has speed 60 which means one has to take the speed increase ability to get closer).

When it comes right down to it, I think you expose that not only did you never bother to compare the animals available to be an animal companion and ask "is this a real choice", but you never bothered to check just how powerful a CR 1/4 creature actually is. Maybe you recently came from 3.5e and are thinking ECL 1/4 with the understanding that a PC is ECL 1-- but in 5E, a level 1 character is CR 1/4.

But the wolf starts with AC13, 2d8 hit die, Speed 40, 21 point buy abilities (ignoring intelligence and charmisma), Stealth skill, Advantage on Hearing & Smell, Pack Tactics, and its bite attack deals 2d4 damage and causes potential knock down on every hit.

to then say that Hawk which has AC13, 1d4 hit die, Speed 10 with Fly 60, 13 point buy attributes, Keen Sight and deals only 1 damage on attack

and say that these two options are equivalent and that it makes any sort of sense to allow a character to choose one of these two attack options as a bonus attack is really any sort of choice is absolute madness.

"Gee, would you like a bonus attack that deals 2d4 damage or 1 damage! Totally your choice, completely balanced and fair either way."

And, worse, at higher levels one of the Ranger's abilities are eaten up to give this creature two attacks per a turn? Oh, yeah-- getting to attack twice a turn with my Cat that does 1 damage is TOTALLY a worthwhile level 11 ability. :(

Furthermore, the idea that so much of the ranger's abilities are going to be tied up in this animal but it is never going to increase in AC or HPs so that even by level 5 any opponent can just take it out in a single attack? That just doesn't functionally work as a concept. Name any other character subclass where a good portion of the character's abilities can be rendered non-existent simply by targeting one attack at an unarmored target besides themselves? There isn't one because that's a really terrible game design idea.

The only way to look at this is to say that even though the ability says that it is giving the player the choice of any of the animals there... in truth, anyone clever enough to bother reading the entries will realize that there is a strong subtext that the animal you are supposed to choose 100% of the time is the wolf and none of the others are meant to be chosen, they exist solely to confuse the player or as "gotcha" traps for new players.

Now, yes, the system as I laid it out looks strong and is probably too much for a new player to really get much of a grip on. Which is why an array of basic options would need to be created using the system and then the system itself only to be used by DMs when the player has a concept that goes beyond the basic array.

So I am not wrong-- you are just glaringly misinformed across the board, and are certainly so woefully lacking in intellectual capacities to even comprehend the issue I am pointing out no matter how much I break this down into concepts even a 3-year old could probably grasp. So, please, don't even bother trying to re-revise the ranger because you are just functionally incapable of doing the math well enough to handle it.

ro

First Post
I don't remember exactly, but I believe it was to keep a sense of normalcy to the selection. Removing giant animals keeps it pretty straight forward, with "real" creatures. No giant wasps or centipedes. Of course exceptions can always be made with DM approval.

Dropping Giant options does make it more ordinary, but it definitely decreases options, which is less fun. Also, Giant creatures are normal in the D&D world, so I don't think fellow adventurers and NPCs would look oddly at most Giant beasts.

This is exactly why I moved it to 3rd level. 2nd level is already very loaded on abilities (including the conclave, which gives some of the subclasses spellcasting), and it already gets a combat ability in Hunter's Mark, so I didn't want to make it too powerful of a level. Hunter's Mark feels right at level 2, since that is when you would get the spell, and it is similar to when other classes gain similar abilities, such as a the Warlock's Agonizing Blast. I could perhaps move fighting styles to level 1 if it just seemed too under powered.

I would be ok with it at first level; however, it makes dipping Ranger much more attractive and makes 1st level that much more powerful. Half the people who would otherwise dip Fighter might dip Ranger instead. This could be a good or bad thing, depending on your perspective.

So the wording here is directly from the spell Animal Friendship. I can see your point about the power. Perhaps instead, changing the ability to resemble the second half of the calm emotions spell, targeting only a single beast at a time.

As an action, choose a beast within 30 feet of you. It must make a Charisma saving throw. If it fails its saving throw, the creature becomes friendly toward you and any creatures you choose for 10 minutes. This friendliness ends if the target is attacked or harmed by a spell or if it witnesses any of its friends being harmed. When the effect ends, the creature becomes hostile again, unless the DM rules otherwise.

You cannot use this ability against a creature that you have attacked within the past 24 hours.

I didn't realize it was from that spell. I like this better. Also, someone else commented about this being totally different form Primeval Awareness. Why not call this "Animal Friendship" or something like that, and also have "Primeval Awareness" which could be "You can focus your attention to detect the presence of many types of creatures. Choose a creature type. Your magical connection to the world shows you information about the three closest individuals or groups of this creature type. After 1 minute of meditation, you learn the direction of each, the approximate numbers of each, and after 10 minutes of meditation you see in your mind a hazy image of their immediate surroundings."

Possibly, but I worry about it watering down the uniqueness of the original favored terrain. I want the ranger to really shine when he is in an area he learned and grew up in. I'm not sure it would make sense for him to suddenly be just as good as at a second terrain.

Yes, but the second choice could easily be the same as the first. In this case he would become much better at all terrain, but his favored terrain would still be, and become, definitively superior.

It is a capstone, but I didn't want to go too over the top with it. My main goal was just making it better then the horrible current capstone. It could certainly be made better if needed.

Fair enough. I think capstones should be awesome. The Barbarian capstone, for example, is the equivalent of 4 ASIs.

ro

First Post
Animal companion needs to NOT ask players to choose an animal from the Monster Manual. Why is it so difficult for people to not be stupid in this regard? If a significant portion of the class's abilities, particularly their battle capabilities, is going to be derived from this animal and then you give people the "choice" between choosing an animal that has a CR of 0, 1/4 or 1/2-- the ONLY valid choice the player can make is to choose the animal with a CR of 1/2 that has the largest damage die available.

This is a great point. I think that your elaborate solution, though interesting, is a bit much, especially if a new player were to be interested in a Ranger. But, you are probably on the right track. How could we simply and easily upgrade low CR companions to the base CR 1/2?

I imagine that the reason Large companions are not allowed is to make mounted combat not a given for Rangers. You have to be a Small race to do it. Allowing them could be as easy as saying, "When you or one of your allies is riding your beast companion, its actions are limited to Dash, Disengage, and Dodge." But that might make it too weak.

"If you select a companion that is lower than CR 1/2, add up its ability score modifiers. If the total is less than +4, add 1 to all six abilities. Repeat until the total is at least +4. Modify attack bonuses, damage, skills, HP, AC (usually 10 + Dex or 10 + Str), and saving throws to match the new scores. Also, increase its number of hit dice to 3."

ro

First Post
Also at level 1, you can cast the Find Familiar spell as a ritual and do not require any material components.

This is a great change. I get the flavor of spending 8 hours bonding with your beast companion, but it's really rather obnoxious in many campaigns where you quickly level as you go. And having to do so again for another 8 hours if your companion dies? Too much!

ro

First Post
Beast Master

Spellcasting
At 2nd level, you gain the ability to cast spells. See the ranger spellcasting section for details.

Improved Animal Companion
When you select this concave at level 2, your animal companion can now be any beast of CR 1 or less that doesn’t have Giant or Swarm in its name.

Nice upgrade. Again, I think Giant-named creatures should be allowed, and I would consider allowing non-beast creatures, too.

Your animal companion has abilities and game statistics determined in part by your level. Your companion uses your proficiency bonus rather than its own. In addition to the areas where it normally uses its proficiency bonus, an animal companion also adds its proficiency bonus to its AC.

Sure.

For each ranger level you have, your animal companion has an equal number of hit die, unless it would normally have more. It increases its hit points accordingly each level.

I would not link hit points to ranger level, as otherwise multiclassing is a significant blow to your companion. I would change it to, "When you gain a level, your companion also gains a level, increasing its hit dice one per level and hit points accordingly.

Whenever you gain the Ability Score Improvement class feature as a ranger, your companion’s abilities also improve. Your companion can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or it can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, your companion can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature unless its description specifies otherwise.

With this, also, I wonder if ASIs should benefit any time you get them, not just through Ranger levels. All the other class features, of course, are linked to Ranger level only, but some basic scaling is important to keep your companion viable.

Trained Ferocity
Beginning at 5th level, your Animal Companion can now take the attack action during its turn. If it has the multiattack action, it loses this ability.

Your animal companion adds your proficiency bonus to damage rolls.

Your Hunter’s Mark abilities extend to any attacks or rolls your Animal Companion makes.

Beast’s Defense
At 7th level, while your companion can see you, it has advantage on all saving throws.

Storm of Claws and Fangs
At 11th level, your companion can use its action to make a melee attack against each creature of its choice within 5 feet of it, with a separate attack roll for each target.

This is all good.

Additionally, your animal companions attacks count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to non-magical attacks and damage.

11th level seems late for this. Moon Druids get this at level 6.

Superior Beast’s Defense
At 15th level, whenever an attacker that your companion can see hits it with an attack, it can use its reaction to halve the attack’s damage against it.

Cool beans. The Beast Master looks good!

Hunter

Spellcasting
At 2nd level, you gain the ability to cast spells. See the ranger spellcasting section for details.

Favored Enemy
Beginning at 2nd level, you have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type of enemy commonly encountered in the wilds.

Choose a type of favored enemy: beasts, fey, humanoids, monstrosities, or undead. You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against creatures of the chosen type. Additionally, you have advantage on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

When you gain this feature, you also learn one language of your choice, typically one spoken by your favored enemy or creatures associated with it. However, you are free to pick any language you wish to learn.

This fits nicely in the Hunter subclass.

Extra Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Standard.

Improved Hunter’s Mark
Additionally, when you use your bonus action to apply your Hunter’s Mark ability to a creature, you can apply the effect to any number of creatures that you can see.

This sounds a little too good to me. This is basically unlimited simultaneous 1st level spells which ordinarily have Concentration. It is similar to suggestions for changing the Sharpshooter feat to a straight +1d6 damage bonus, but goes up to +1d10, which is even stronger and applies to all weapons rather than only ranged weapons.

That said, I like the idea. What if you limited it to a certain number of creatures? "Starting at 5th level you may mark two creatures at a time with Hunter's Mark, at 11th level you may mark three creatures, and at 17th four creatures.

Greater Favored Enemy
At 7th level, you are ready to hunt even deadlier game. Choose a different type of favored enemy: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, humanoids, monstrosities, or undead. You gain all the benefits against this chosen enemy that you normally gain against your favored enemy, including an additional language. Your bonus to damage rolls against all your favored enemies increases to +4.

Additionally, you have advantage on saving throws against the spells and abilities used by a favored enemy.

I like that you expanded this list to include the original Favored Enemy options.

Multiattack
At 11th level, you gain one of the following features of your choice:

Volley. You can use your action to make a ranged attack against any number of creatures within 10 feet of a point you can see within your weapon’s range. You must have ammunition for each target, as normal, and you make a separate attack roll for each target.

Whirlwind Attack. You can use your action to make melee attacks against any number of creatures within 5 feet of you, with a separate attack roll for each target.

One for range, one for melee. I like it. Maybe change Whirlwind Attack from "within 5 feet of you" to "within your reach" to allow for Reach weapons.

You could add a third option to give a straight third attack.

The Hunt Is On
At 15th level, your mastery of the hunt makes you unparalleled at finding your prey. Choose a new type of favored enemy: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, humanoids, monstrosities, or undead. You gain all the benefits against this chosen enemy that you normally gain against your favored enemy, except for an additional language.

Why no extra language?

Is this replacing the original favored enemy, or adding a third one? If the former, it sounds kinda lame. If the latter, change the wording from "a new type of favored enemy" to "a third type of favored enemy".

During each long rest, you may spend part of your time learning about a new favored enemy. At the end of the long rest you may replace this favored enemy with the new favored enemy you studied during the rest.

I would change "replace this favored enemy" to "replace one of your favored enemies".

I like the Hunter overall. Another 15th level ability could be, "Your speed increases by 10' when chasing one of your favored enemies."

Scout

Spellcasting

Ambush Master
Starting at 2nd level, if any of your foes are surprised, you and any allies who can see you gain advantage on initiative rolls and on all attack rolls during the 1st round of combat.

Very cool.

Also at 2nd level, you gain proficiency in Perception. If you already proficient, you double your proficiency bonus.

Maybe add Stealth as an option?

Extra Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Standard.

Hide in Plain Sight
Starting at 7th level, you can spend 1 minute creating camouflage for yourself. You must have access to fresh mud, dirt, plants, soot, and other materials with which to create your camouflage. Once you are camouflaged in this way, you can try to hide by pressing yourself up against a solid surface, such as a tree or wall, that is at least as tall and wide as you are. You gain a +10 bonus to Dexterity (Stealth) checks as long as you remain there without moving or taking actions. Once you move or take an action or a reaction, you must camouflage yourself again to gain this benefit.

If you are in your favored terrain, creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) rolls to see you.

So I know that this was a 10th level ability originally, but even so I find it a little underwhelming. I see you changed the -10 for Perception to +10 for Stealth. I suppose these are effectively equal.

Scout’s Mark
Starting at 11th level, you are able to relay critical information to your allies about your enemy. Any ally that can hear or see you gains the benefits of your Hunter’s Mark ability against your marked target.

This is cool. I like this.

Improved Hide In Plain Sight
Beginning at 15th level, when you use your Hide in Plain Sight ability, you can move at half your speed without losing the bonus, provided you move through terrain appropriate to your camouflage.

This is a fine ability, but I would attach it at the bottom of the previous "Hide In Plain Sight" and create a new ability for the Scout.

If you are in your favored terrain, creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) rolls to see you.

This statement is redundant.

My Feelings on the Scout:

This subclass has thematic abilities, but it falls behind in combat. I worry that a Scout character will not be competitive at higher levels. It also really needs a more interesting 15th level ability.

There are a few feats that work well with this concept: Dungeon Delver, Keen Mind, Skulker, and Observant. All of them are weak feats, but they could be used to improve the Scout subclass. You could, for example, add something like the following:

"Also at 7th level, you gain the Dungeon Delver, Keen Mind, Observant, or Skulker feat. At 15th level, you gain a second one of these feats."

Just a random ability I'm thinking of now could be something like, "Starting at Xth level, as a bonus action you can make a magical spyglass appear in your hand. It has all the traits of an ordinary spyglass, but you may choose its appearance, and it disappears at the end of your next turn. You may spend your bonus action on subsequent turns to extend this effect's duration."

Thurmas

Explorer
blah blah blah

Are you replying to the right thread? Did you even read the first post in this one? The proposed BM in this thread has a beast that increases hitpoints and ASIs per level, gets AC and damage bonuses based on proficiency bonus, as well as a number of other effects, none of which are eating up the ranger's action or bonus action. At no point anywhere does it mention the MM.

Your creation method might be just fine at lower level. But it starts to get ridiculous quickly. By the time the animal gets to level 20, it is a flying, dark vision trash panda, with 20 AC, 20d12+Con (230) hitpoints, and 4 attacks at +11, dealing 1d12+11 each. You've recreated Rocket Raccoon in 5E, and given him the stats of an adult dragon.

Remove ads