• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reach and Allies

Metus

First Post
Quick question for you guys: if someone is standing behind an ally, can they attack through him with a reach weapon with no problems? Does it matter if it's weapon reach or natural reach?

Teydyn

First Post
IIRC you can attack, but the opponent gets a +4 cover bonus to AC unless they are REALLY big. No book at hands so no pages.. :)

Brisk-sg

First Post
Metus said:
Quick question for you guys: if someone is standing behind an ally, can they attack through him with a reach weapon with no problems? Does it matter if it's weapon reach or natural reach?
Per the SRD

When making a melee attack against a target that isn’t adjacent to you (such as with a reach weapon), use the rules for determining cover from ranged attacks.

Yes, you can use a reach weapon from behind an ally, however, your foe will likely get Soft Cover because of this (+4 bonus to AC).

Diirk

First Post
Brisk-sg said:
Per the SRD

When making a melee attack against a target that isn’t adjacent to you (such as with a reach weapon), use the rules for determining cover from ranged attacks.

Yes, you can use a reach weapon from behind an ally, however, your foe will likely get Soft Cover because of this (+4 bonus to AC).

And if you miss because of this cover, you hit your friend instead, unless you miss your friend but only because of his dex/dodge bonuses, in which case you hit your original target.

Or something like that, its been a while since I read those rules and they made my head hurt.

Antoine

First Post
Diirk said:
And if you miss because of this cover, you hit your friend instead, unless you miss your friend but only because of his dex/dodge bonuses, in which case you hit your original target.

That part disappeared in 3.5.

noeuphoria

First Post
Also, the PHB states that a large creature making an attack can "use any square it occupies for purposes of determining cover." So if you are large and your ally is in front of you, your enemy may not get cover depending on which square he's in.

Metus

First Post
noeuphoria said:
Also, the PHB states that a large creature making an attack can "use any square it occupies for purposes of determining cover." So if you are large and your ally is in front of you, your enemy may not get cover depending on which square he's in.

I'm confused; could you elaborate on this?

I'll give you the situation in my game that made me post the question: An ogre with a greatclub had a bugbear ally directly in front of him, and a PC in front of the bugbear. I figured the ogre was large, and since he towered over his ally, he should be able to attack without the bugbear getting in the way.

Meanwhile, two other PCs were also in a line with an enemy bugbear at the end. The PC at the very back had a spear that he wanted to stab the bugbear with. It would make sense that his Medium PC friend would provide cover, which I think has been made clear that he does.

Does the ogre not need to worry about hitting his bugbear ally though?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Metus said:
Does the ogre not need to worry about hitting his bugbear ally though?
Yes because a line can be drawn from one corner of the ogre's square to one corner of his target's square that does not passes through a square or border of a square occupied by a creature or obstacle which would provide cover.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads