• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Readying The Same Maneuver Multiple Times?

Pasus Nauran

First Post
I was wondering if it's possible for a Martial Adept (Warblade specifically) to ready the same maneuver more than once (just as a Mage can prepare multiple of the same spell). I can't find anything saying yes or no in the book (I may be blind).

For example: Could my warblade ready 3 Emerald Razor maneuvers?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
No. Each maneuver has its own "state": readied, expended, or known-but-unreadied.

(This is actually part of the balance of maneuvers in general.)

Cheers, -- N

Pasus Nauran

First Post
Nifft said:
No. Each maneuver has its own "state": readied, expended, or known-but-unreadied.

(This is actually part of the balance of maneuvers in general.)

Cheers, -- N

I figured, but wanted to make sure.

ShadowX

First Post
Actually, I think the rules are unclear on this point. However, the obvious intention allows each maneuver to be readied only once as per Nifft's post.

Drowbane

First Post
I've scanned the book to decipher this issue multiple times... and I still don't know how its supposed to be officially.

We reason that its no different than preparing a spell-slot (except that you're better off being diverse as you can reprepare much quicker than a caster).

Zurai

First Post
The rules don't explicitly state it but the FAQ and Sage Advice are perfectly clear: You cannot prepare a maneuver multiple times, and you cannot leave maneuver slots open.

Arkhandus

First Post
The rules are not unclear on it. They explicitly used different terminology, and did not describe it in a manner similar to spellcasting. You do not prepare maneuvers in slots. You just choose a certain number of maneuvers to have ready for use (and as such you cannot ready a maneuver more than once at a time, that's impossible, since you already got it ready). It's that simple.

It is not like wizard spell preparation, and never does the book insinuate it to function like a wizard's spells. People just ASSUME it to be so, but the Tome of Battle is a supplement presenting a new subsystem, NOT presenting a variant magic system or anything else that would imply use of the standard spellcasting rules by default.

Drowbane

First Post
Arkhandus said:
The rules are not unclear on it. They explicitly used different terminology, and did not describe it in a manner similar to spellcasting. You do not prepare maneuvers in slots. You just choose a certain number of maneuvers to have ready for use (and as such you cannot ready a maneuver more than once at a time, that's impossible, since you already got it ready). It's that simple.

It is not like wizard spell preparation, and never does the book insinuate it to function like a wizard's spells. People just ASSUME it to be so, but the Tome of Battle is a supplement presenting a new subsystem, NOT presenting a variant magic system or anything else that would imply use of the standard spellcasting rules by default.

I can buy that.

Remove ads