• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

REALLY old school settings

A simple question, spurred on by 4E's "Feywild" and my just haivng re-read Neil Gaiman's wonderful Stardust: How many of you have run and/or played in D&D games with an explicitly "Fairy-Tale" styled setting?

To be honest, I'm not 100% certain of what I mean by this. "I knows it when I sees it," isn't all that helpful, is it? I suppose that one way to think of it is to but "realism" and "versilimitude" on the back burner, in favor of mystery and magic and symbolism, and all that sort of pretentious nonsense. The sort of place wehre there's a new kingdom over (or sometimes under) every hill, an exotic place of strange peoples and bizarre customs.

You don't buy a magic sword by paying a lot of gold to a dealer in Sharn...you buy a magic sword by seeking out the Goblin Market, and paying with the song of a Siren, or a year of your life, or the memory of your true love's face.

Or, alternatively, you can recover it from a long-forgotten tomb, or pry it from the cold, dead (but still twitching) hand of the King in Rags and Tatters.

No one worries about the economy, or the crops, or any of that sort of thing. They happen, they exist, but they play no real part in the *game* because they simply aren't needed. Unless they are, of course. But as a rule, either the people are just well-fed *enough*, or they're suffering from a famine that can only be resolved by a bold hero or three.

I doubt that I'm making much sense here. It's all clear in my mind, but I tend to have a difficult time expressing my "vision" to others. But does anyone know the sort of thing that I mean? And have any of you played or run this sort of game?

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Not so much.
2nd Edition required a little bit of it for magic item creation, but that was about it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I inject into my Midwood campaign wherever it fits. The current adventure's BBEG is a grown up version of the Big Bad Wolf. You can probably dig him up here on the Rogues Gallery board.

Doug McCrae

Legend
The lack of a magic item trade is necessary, but not sufficient, for a fairy tale style. The vast majority of fantasy fiction has no such trade, for example Conan and Lord Of The Rings, but they ain't fairy tales.

Are you talking about using a rpg to simulate fairy tales, in which case D&D would be a poor choice, or introducing a few fairy tale elements into a game which would still be recognisably 'D&Dy'?

Doug McCrae said:
The lack of a magic item trade is necessary, but not sufficient, for a fairy tale style. The vast majority of fantasy fiction has no such trade, for example Conan and Lord Of The Rings, but they ain't fairy tales.

Are you talking about using a rpg to simulate fairy tales, in which case D&D would be a poor choice, or introducing a few fairy tale elements into a game which would still be recognisably 'D&Dy'?

The latter. Again, Stardust is the perfect example of what I'm talking about: Magic is common, but it still something powerful, and mysterious, and in no way taken for granted. Sort of the opposite of Eberron in that respect.

(Nothing against Eberron, mind. It's still my favorite 3.5 setting.)

As an example, something that I was thinking of today for my take on this kind of setting:

Oaths have power, no matter who makes them. If you swear that you will (or won't) do something, and are foresworn? You will suffer for it. Doesn't matter if you're a peasant, a king, a demon or a god, you are bound to the letter (if not the intent) of your word.

Crothian

First Post
The closest might be the little Grimm book FFG put out for their Horizon line. It is based on the classic Grimm's Fairy-Tales. However, traditional D&D has a long standing track record of really making bad (as in poorly done) versions of the fey and the like.

RSKennan

Explorer
I wrote The Complete Guide to Fey for Goodman Games, and I like to think that that book is a good start towards what you're talking about. I've been thinking about going the full distance and writing up a setting in the tradition of the movie Legend and other sources like it.

RSKennan said:
I wrote The Complete Guide to Fey for Goodman Games, and I like to think that that book is a good start towards what you're talking about. I've been thinking about going the full distance and writing up a setting in the tradition of the movie Legend and other sources like it.

One of my favorite parts in Legend (full version) was when the child-looking fey, gets pissed about something and drives home the point that he's waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy older, like primordial force of the universe older, than he looks.

Remove ads