• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Realms Recent History

pedro2112

First Post
I am creating a campaign using the 4th ED. Neverwinter campaign guide. I did not run anything realms based during 4th ed. However, this guide is very impressive, one of the best Realms based guides that has been written. The only thing I am struggling with is what effect the sundering has on the spell plague.

tomservo999

Explorer
I am creating a campaign using the 4th ED. Neverwinter campaign guide. I did not run anything realms based during 4th ed. However, this guide is very impressive, one of the best Realms based guides that has been written. The only thing I am struggling with is what effect the sundering has on the spell plague.
Didn't the adventures Murder in Baldur's Gate and Legacy of the Crystal Shard cover that?I don't have either but I read somewhere that they dealt with the Sundering.

I found a time line on the forgotten realms wiki that gives a chronology of events all the way to 1485 DR. Now I can just start my campaign from 1374 and just pick and choose which events I want to use. I have not decided if I intend to use or even acknowledge the whole Spellplague.

Henrix

Explorer
Basically wizards is going back to the pre-4e Realms.

I've read two of the Sundering books, and looked at the Baldur's Gate comic. In all of them old characters are resurrected, one way or another, so that Drizzt can run around with Catti-Brie and so on.

Looks like they're trying to forget all that spellplague and stuff.
Would have been better for them to present it as an alternate universe FR, IMHO.

Wolfskin

Explorer
Looks like they're trying to forget all that spellplague and stuff.
Would have been better for them to present it as an alternate universe FR, IMHO.
Yeah, I'm not sure the Sundering was the best way to handle it- that said, 4e FR's setting changes were terribly handled, IMO. Did't like the post-apocalyptic vibe and the hundred years time jump.

I'd personally make a big retcon to reboot the setting back to pre-4e instead of going forward in time.

seregil

First Post
1E Old Grey Box all the way. I am running a Pathfinder campaign and my source material is limited to FR1 to FR5. I pick and choose a bit from some of the 2e stuff (maps, mostly).

No overpowered NPCs, no magic items on every street corner, no mythals and Elminster is just another wizard.

Problem solved.

1E Old Grey Box all the way. I am running a Pathfinder campaign and my source material is limited to FR1 to FR5. I pick and choose a bit from some of the 2e stuff (maps, mostly).

No overpowered NPCs, no magic items on every street corner, no mythals and Elminster is just another wizard.

Problem solved.

Best. Solution. EVAR!

(Only Elmunchkin is long dead in my continuity.)

tomservo999

Explorer

Problem solved.

Yup....and if I could just find a copy of the old gray boxed set for less than $50 I would probably go this route myself. :)

seregil

First Post
Yup....and if I could just find a copy of the old gray boxed set for less than $50 I would probably go this route myself. :)

Ebay or Kijiji is your friend. I got my copy there.

That being said, once you have FR1 and FR5, you don't really need the campaign setting anymore. There's very little about the North in it. Assuming, of course, that is were you want to play.

EDIT: and the FR series is available on dndclassics.com

Remove ads